First MW appt tomorrow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's finally here! My first appointment. My DH and I have met with our MW once to interview her, but this will be my first real appt at 9.3 weeks. I'm actually very nervous. I have this irrational fear that she will tell me "why you're not pregnant at all!". . .this despite the 12 positive HPTs and the nausea/food aversions and growing boobs. I just can't shake the doubts.

I feel like it won't be real to me till I hear a heartbeat--I am so hoping that will happen tomorrow : I know its a little on the early side for doppler, but we are not planning a 1st trimester u/s and I fear that if we can't hear it, my anxiety will be unbearable. I have also been waiting to tell my family/friends till we get a heartbeat.

So much anticipation! ARghhh. But I knew you all would understand. . .I needed to vent. I'll let you all know tomorrow how it went.

Anyone have doppler stories to ease my mind? When did you hear with doppler?

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 AM

I heard a heartbeat with #1 around 10 weeks, and my midwife at the time had a regular stethoscope. I'm 12 weeks now and heard the heartbeat with #2 with a doppler. I think it can be any time after 8 weeks. It might also depend on how much "padding" you have ;-) because my 2nd, now, was harder to find (still haven't lost weight from #1!) even though it's farther along. Maybe (if you don't hear anything tomorrow) you can ask your midwife to let you quickly pop in in 2 weeks or so to check again. BUT, I am sure you won't need to. Good luck!!!!!!!

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 AM

we heard heart beat at my first appt at 9 weeks. it just depends on the positioning of the baby. my MW also spent a lot of time...like 15 minutes looking for it because she could kind of hear a whisper of it and then the baby would move again. (my uterus also tilts backward which makes it a little harder). but anywho, it's totally possible! congrats!

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM

I have the same EDD as you and we are hoping to hear a HB on Thursday. Good luck today!

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM

My first MW appointment is tomorrow too. (Yay!) Same story: I really want to hear the little HB. I think I heard it at 9 wks with doppler the first time, and this time I'll be 10 wks, so I'm guardedly hopeful. Can't wait to hear how your appointment goes ... I'm sure it will be great!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM

so how did it go??????
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking!
I actually posted about this to a new thread--the "Didn't hear heartbeat" post. So that's how it went Not only did we not hear a heartbeat, but the MW seemed rushed and distracted--not at all like she was when we interviewed her. So my depression/bad mood about not hearing anything was compounded by that. I had hoped to feel nurtured and get some understanding from someone who has seen it all. As a first-timer I have so many questions and fears (okay maybe that doesn't go away) that I kind of expected a MW to be sensitive to that. So that was a real bummer, but hopefully that was just a fluke and my next appt (in four weeks) will be better. MW book fast around here (when I called her at 7 weeks she only had one spot left in Sept!), so I don't think I can find another at this point.

I am feeling better today after a lot of tears yesterday (suddenly letting all my fears and doubts creep in) and have decided to do first trimester screening, so in two and a half weeks I'll have an u/s : and get to see the little one jumping around (fingers crossed).

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 AM

oh shoot. i'm sorry, i did read your post, i guess i spaced. we are all holding out hope for you and the baby.

User Tag List