so EXCITED! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess what? I just spoke with my insurance company, and I can switch dr.s any time as long as I'm not in my third trimester.....

so then, I found out that this SUPER cush medical center just joined the hmo I'm in again and so - I can GO there! I'm so happy. They have the really nice birthing suites, make rooming in super convienent, have nice big tubs and birthing balls - whatever you want. (not that I have time for any of that, but it's nice that the option is there!)

Oh - and one more piece of news - even though we pay through the nose for our premiums (like over $500 a month) I guess I just pay ONE $10 copay for my first ob visit and THAT'S IT!!! I mean - REALLY it! You don't pay one PENNY for the hospital delivery even!

I'm so so happy! Now, I just have to try to get them to squeeze me in for the BUN test before next monday so I can make the switch. (the bun test is that first trimester screening for downs and trisomy, etc. - remember, I'm the knowledge is power girl - I like to KNOW! and it's over 90% accurate - way better than even the 20 week us - and totally noninvasive)

Sorry to go on and on, but I'm having a happy day! Maybe the fact that my morning sickness is mild today too is helping - I've actually eaten a packet of oatmeal AND a english muffin with a piece of cheese already! (and that's like what I've been consuming in a whole day most of the time lately!)

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 04:19 PM

So happy for you! Yeah! I hate it that all the $ and insurance issues make every birth decision more complicated.

Thanks for your post to my thread too. . .I am thinking now of doing the 1st trimester screen that you mention here. A little worried that it will cause more anxiety than relief (if I get a false positive), but I *think* its covered by our insurance, it will be a chance for an early u/s and help with dating (my MW won't let her clients go more than 2 weeks overdue before having to have hospital birth, so its important to have an accurate EDD), and might also provide some peace of mind.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM

: glad things are working out!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think the BUN test really has many false positives as long as you do it within the right trimester - just fyi. (and I personally wouldn't DO anything about the information, other then plan for the inevitable - trisomy 18 is fatal usually in the 2nd trimester, downs would just be good to know about, imo)

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

User Tag List