no BUN test for me :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh well. I didn't have my first appt until late last week - and you can't be over 13w6d...which basically gave them tomorrow or Friday and they're TOTALLY booked.

I was mostly excited bc I heard that with the level 2 us they use to do the test, they can typically see what the gender is AND I'll use any excuse to see the baby.

Darn.

Anyways - if anybody wants it, make sure you plan far enough in advance.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Sorry you don't get to have the test. Will you have a 2nd trimester u/s? I actually scheduled one this morning for March 16 when I'll be 12.2 weeks. . .the place I called said they prefer to do it in the 12th week. And I am so looking forward to seeing this baby (and keeping fingers crossed that all is well).

Can you really see gender that early? That'd be really cool if we could, but I had always heard they couldn't tell till at least 16 weeks.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 02-25-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

I guess they use a 'better' ultrasound for this test, so they CAN - although I have one friend where they no way could - but I have had MANY other friends where they could....so it's not a sure bet, but it's possible!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh no! I'm sorry! Thanks so much for the reminder about the testing. I'm going to call our testing people today.

I'm very confused about the testing. What is the BUN test? Does anyone know of a good site to read up on what test are offreed, and information about them.

Our midwife just said that they don't do genetic testing, and to call another office at 14 weeks.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, Texmati - I didn't even KNOW what it was called until I saw it on the order form.....

My understand is that this ultrasound measures the nucheal fold in the neck of the baby - and then they also take a blood test and the information from the two combined they have something like a 90% accuracy rate of determining if the baby has downs or trisomy 18 (and maybe a few others?).

Anyways - it's way more accurate than even the 20 week ultrasround is.

So - I thought it would be good to know - to prepare myself or the worst if it was trisomy 18 (baby typically dies in utero or shortly after birth) or to start researching if baby has downs, yk?

It's a crazy life!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM

I've never heard it called that, around here it's called the NTT (Nuchal Translucency Test). Which is essentially looking for the soft markers for Down Syndrome, but it also screens for some of the same things the AFP screens for (via blood test). With my insurance, if I opt for the NTT then I can only have the basic AFP instead of the expanded, since they screen for the same things.

To be clear though, both NTT and AFP are screenings, not tests. They both return a probability, not a certainty. For a test, you'd need to have a CVS or an amnio, both of which carry a risk of miscarriage.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM

Julia that stinks! I'm surprised that they didn't work you in, even with a full schedule.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
Honestly, Texmati - I didn't even KNOW what it was called until I saw it on the order form.....

My understand is that this ultrasound measures the nucheal fold in the neck of the baby - and then they also take a blood test and the information from the two combined they have something like a 90% accuracy rate of determining if the baby has downs or trisomy 18 (and maybe a few others?).

Anyways - it's way more accurate than even the 20 week ultrasround is.

So - I thought it would be good to know - to prepare myself or the worst if it was trisomy 18 (baby typically dies in utero or shortly after birth) or to start researching if baby has downs, yk?

Julia, thanks for getting back to me! I've spent the entire day researching-- I think what you call the BUN test is also call the the first trimester combined screening test? The place that my midwife's practice uses calls it the first stage of a 'sequential screening' test.

I think they all use different names because it's proprietary. And they like to confuse patients into giving them money. The whole things seems very wooly to me, but my husband feels very strongly about having the tests done. He promises, though that if these first test come back with low probabilites of problems, that we won't have to do anymore.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 PM

I have the first trimester screening scheduled for 12 weeks and my understanding was that it consisted of a detailed u/s, a blood test, and the nuchal fold "test". I assumed it was the same as Julia's BUN test.
I probably wouldn't get it if it were entirely up to me (b/c I don't want to get talked into any more invasive procedures like amnio), but my DH wants to have it done. And I am just happy for the excuse to see this thing that its me

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
And I am just happy for the excuse to see this thing that its me
Me too! : I'm just hoping the tests come out ok! we are having them the same week that we are telling my family.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM

I am in the same quandry. I had really wanted to have some "proof" before telling my family. . .like hearing the heartbeat or having an u/s. But I will already be 12 weeks when we have the screening and then it will take who knows how long to get the results back. Not that the results would change much. . .besides my mental state.

Just don't know when to tell people. So far its only my DH my MW and all you ladies who know

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
But I will already be 12 weeks when we have the screening and then it will take who knows how long to get the results back. Not that the results would change much. . .besides my mental state.
My doctor gives us the results of the screening immediately. They send me in a couple days before for the blood test, they do the measurements on the ultrasound, and have us sit in the lobby for 10 minutes before we get the results. We're not announcing it until after the test.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

User Tag List