Great 1st appointment today! (a pleasant surprise!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I surprisingly had a very good OB appt today. I was quite nervous about it, as I was expecting a lot of hassle about not wanting an internal exam or ultrasound, and about wanting a natural birth, but I was really impressed with both the RN and the OB!

I started out my appointment with the lady at registration who gave me the very nice news that I only have to pay the co-pay for this initial visit and then not again until my 6 wk check up with the baby!

I then went in to see the RN, who is extremely natural birth friendly and was really excited to hear that I am too! We spent 40 minutes together. She is fairly new to the practice (just a few months) and I am the FIRST pregnant woman to say she wanted a natural birth. Can you believe that? So we talked tons about yoga, chiropractic care, various exercises to do leading up to the birth, all of the different positions to explore during labour, support services in the area, etc. She was also really supportive of having a doula, which was great to hear.

Then I moved onto the OB, whom I had seen once before, and he was great too! He spent about 25 minutes with me - talking about general health, exercise, the hospital, etc. and he took time to answer all of my questions. He didn't have any issue with my not having the internal exam - he just noted that I had my pap in August and while looking over the notes the RN had made in my file about what I wanted, said "Since you're in a monogamous relationship, you don't need the swabs either". I said nope, and we moved on. Funnily enough, the only one to give me hassle about not doing the internal was the nurse who took my blood pressure and weight. You should have seen the look and the exasperated expression, but oh well, I really didn't care what she thought!

The OB went and got his PA after I asked if they could hear the heartbeat with the fetoscope. He came back in with her and the Doppler, which I was about to refuse, and then I thought I'd give him about 30 sec. to find the heartbeat. He couldn't, and wanted to keep trying, but I said no, I didn't want to expose the baby for too long, and he said ok, and that was it!

Then I went down to the lab to give my blood and more urine. I'll find out the results in a few days - I really want to know about my vitamins and minerals, so that I can make any adjustments in diet if necessary.

I just wanted to share my extreme relief and happiness about this appointment. I really had been dreading it, while also looking forward to the confirmation that I really am pregnant, and am just so glad it all went well!

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#2 of 6 Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 AM

glad to hear you had a great appt!! I know that is not easy to get when you go to a Dr! Hope you continue to have great visits all the way thru!!

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#3 of 6 Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 AM

I'm glad the experience was a good one. I'm going to the same gyno I've had for over 15 years but if it weren't a good experience it would certainly make a difference to me. I need someone I can not only trust but someone that makes me feel comfortable when I'm in their office.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#4 of 6 Old 02-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so glad it went well! Youve reminded me that I still need to battle it out with my insurance.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 6 Old 02-26-2009, 02:12 PM

glad you had a good appt!

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#6 of 6 Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Oh what a nice visit that sounds like. and they gave you TIME too - that's wonderful.

I'm glad it all went well.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page