Exercise anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondered what everyone was doing for exercise and if you have changed your routine since getting preg?

I used to be very physically active, but after back problems 1 1/2 years ago I am on a routine of walking and stretching (no impact for me). I am still enjoying both of these, but I used to do abdominal exercises while walking (I hate crunches, so while I walk I hold my abs in flat and it really works them out) and now I am finding that this is very hard to do. Even though I am not showing yet, my abs seem to know whats coming and are refusing to engage anymore! Weird.

Anyone else have abdominals that don't want to work already?

Anyone liked prenatal yoga in the past?

Or is the first trimester just too icky for anything?

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#2 of 14 Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM

My exercise consists of walking to my classes twice a week and up two flights of stairs for each of my two classes. I used to do exercise programs two to three times a week, but I just feel too icky for that right now. I have just been getting winded too easily.

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#3 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 AM

exercise??? what's that?
#4 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 01:23 AM

I was running 3-ish miles per day before the pregnancy, so I've been just trying to maintain that same loop. I'm a little surprised by how slow I am already. Thing is, when I'm breathing hard and pushing that jogger is the only time I consistently don't feel sick ... it is a good motivator, that and my dog's sad eyes. My plan is to keep up the jogging as long as it doesn't hurt, probably slowly replacing longer and longer sections with walking as my belly gets bigger.

Oh, and I want to start prenatal yoga. Haven't tried it before, but my MW thinks it is a good idea.

I am intrigued by your ab routine. I too hate crunches. I guess I will have to wait til after September to give it a try though.
#5 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

The idea for the ab work I do came from a book called "Breathworks for you Back" by Nancy Swayzee. One of the many books I got when I had the back problems and this one, although it is about back care, is really about core strength (often the root cause of many back problems is lack of core strength). She has many, many exercises in this book that are not crunches but really work your abs.

One of the few things I found (other than a great chiropractor) that helped me and didn't recommend drugs or other invasive methods.

I am sure that this will come in handy post-baby too!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#6 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellemybelle View Post
I was running 3-ish miles per day before the pregnancy, so I've been just trying to maintain that same loop. I'm a little surprised by how slow I am already. Thing is, when I'm breathing hard and pushing that jogger is the only time I consistently don't feel sick ... it is a good motivator, that and my dog's sad eyes. My plan is to keep up the jogging as long as it doesn't hurt, probably slowly replacing longer and longer sections with walking as my belly gets bigger.
Same here. I put in 3 miles 2-3 times per week, actually have a 5k run scheduled for Saturday. I don't actually "race," but it gives me the motivation to stay in the gym. I'm hoping to stay running as long as possible, because (as you mentioned) it's the only time I feel normal! I have definitely slowed down, but still not having trouble finishing it. I plan on switching over to swimming at some point (probably when it gets warm enough to swim in the outside pool!)

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#7 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
I plan on switching over to swimming at some point (probably when it gets warm enough to swim in the outside pool!)
Swimming really does sound great ... I have never been able to do it regularly, like running, since I can't just step outside and be on my way. We will be really pregnant all summer, however, and so a pool might be the only place cool enough for vigorous activity come July.

kismetbaby: thanks for the reference. I really wanted to work my abs after DD was born, but had a hard time motivating myself ... but walking with extras I can probably do.
#8 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM

bahahahahaha! If carrying 2 and 3 year olds up and down stairs - then I excercise, but that's it.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#9 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Too icky in the first trimester. But I'm an avid gym-goer and runner when not pregnant. And I have two very active little boys and two very active (LARGE) dogs, so I get my exercise through playing with them, too.

I still went to the gym the first few weeks of this pregnancy, but I'm now going to wait until I can shower in the mornings without getting nauseous Then I'll be back in the gym! I'll probably not run, I have hip/SPD pain already, but I'll do eliptical or biking.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#10 of 14 Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Still out of the gym. I froze my membership. I was getting more nauseas everytime I'd try to go.

Used to go every other day before I got pregnant. So it kinda sucks to be sapped of all the energy AND not be doing any activity.

I'll be excited to get back to MOVING. Hopefully soon.

32 - son born 9/21/09
#11 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellemybelle View Post
I was running 3-ish miles per day before the pregnancy, so I've been just trying to maintain that same loop.
This was me but then I've been soooooo sick (and chasing a toddler around) that I fell of the running wagon. I am so bummed. I was winded today just after going on a long walk so I know I've lost all my running stamina.

I plan on doing long walks again and yoga... and when summer kicks in maybe a prenatal swim class.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#12 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 12:43 PM

as i was trying to rest the other day, an incredible guilt washed over me about not exercising yet! but i've just been feeling so yucky these past few weeks.

what i need is somebody at the Y to show me how to use all of their equiptment without making me feel even MORE dumb. i also wish i had a workout partner!!

hopefully things start feeling better soon!

Mountain mama to Elijah Dale, natural hospital birth 10-09

Expecting Little Dewdrop June 2013

Birth Doula

Community Health Worker

"Natural birth is an endangered species."

-Sarah Buckley, M.D.

#13 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM

Oh, I don't feel great, by any stretch, but I am still cutting/splitting/stacking wood weekly, swimming and doing a pretty active 'power yoga' class.

I'm getting something in about 4 or 5 times a week, at best, I can't wait until I feel a little better!!! Or this d*mn icebox called Minnesota warms up and I can go outside and not wear a ski mask.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#14 of 14 Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 PM

I am a big runner when not pregnant. I ran several marathons and half marathons before I had my DS, and then ran a half marathon this past December before I got pregnant with this one. I just can't run when I'm pregnant though, I don't know why. So I walk most mornings with DS in the jogger stroller, 2 to 3 miles. That's all I do--and tote my 2-year-old up and down stairs multiple times a day.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page