Pap? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else had to get a pap smear during this pregnancy?
I wasn't happy about it, but I found out that it has been over a year since my last pap. She also said that if I'd had one within 6 months I wouldn't have needed one. It was very uncomfortable, more so than usual.

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

#2 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 04:01 PM

I had one also. I was due for my yearly pap anyways, so my MW just did it at my first appointment. She advised that I might have some "light spotting" due to increased blood flow during pregnancy (more so than a pap during any other time) and sure enough, I did have a barely noticeable amount. Just a head's up to anyone else who might be getting one!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#3 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 PM

no - I had one in OCtober, new insurance, new dr....thought I better go at least once and make sure all was well before we made a baby, yk?

sorry it was uncomfortable - mine may as well have done one though - she used those little spreader thingies, did an internal manually and some kind of swabbing - yucko!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#4 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM

i'm bad about getting them, i've only ever had one while preggo- so the one i had a few weeks ago was my third :embarrassed. they "pinch" me, when the speculum is opened and the whole time it stays open. this was the first time i had any spotting afterwards thoguh, the other 2 i had i didn't bleed afterwards.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#5 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM

I was due for one last pregnancy so got one then, but I had one within a year this time so did not get one. I will get one postpartum. I probably won't ever get a PAP in pg again as long as I keep up with them otherwise. I read up on it and decided it's better to do them before and after.

Michelle, wife to Ryan, mommy to Gabriel 6/23/2007 and Susanna 9/19/2009
#6 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar View Post
Has anyone else had to get a pap smear during this pregnancy?
I wasn't happy about it, but I found out that it has been over a year since my last pap. She also said that if I'd had one within 6 months I wouldn't have needed one. It was very uncomfortable, more so than usual.
I had a PAP with both my previous pregnancies at my first appt. I was due in two months with my first pregnancy, so it was good timing anyway. My second pregnancy I had just had one two months prior, so I asked not to have one, but the dr said that he had to do a pelvic anyway, and by the time my 6 week post partum appt would come around, I'd be a month "late", so he made me re-do it (and I was active duty military at the time, so I couldn't say no). This time I'm overdue for one anyway, so I know to expect one at my first appt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
no - I had one in OCtober, new insurance, new dr....thought I better go at least once and make sure all was well before we made a baby, yk?

sorry it was uncomfortable - mine may as well have done one though - she used those little spreader thingies, did an internal manually and some kind of swabbing - yucko!
My previous OBs did STD testing at my first appt, so that's probably what you had. Always annoys me as I've only ever had one partner, and we've been married for 6 years, but prior to now I was active duty military and couldn't say no to the testing. This time I know i need the PAP because it's been a year and a half, but I'm not going to get any of the STD testing. Private insurance now means I pay for tests!!

It frustrates me the way testing is done...when I went for my initial OB lab work, I knew that the typical OB panel tests for things like blood type (I know mine), rubella immunity (I know I'm immune), plus the regular CBC stuff. I only wanted teh CBC test, iron and so forth, but they said that they can only order the test as a panel, and billed it to my insurance as a panel, so I couldn't lower my out of pocket costs by only requesting certain tests. Frustrating. :

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#7 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 05:16 PM

i had one last week. my previous pap (in october) came back abnormal (i have a history of pre-cancerous cells) and i was due for one in april, and she wanted to double check it now and repeat if necessary. i wound up spotting, which freaked me out- i've never had any spotting during a pg, until after the pap :

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#8 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 05:37 PM

I had one too b/c my las one was when I had dd
although I was trained to NEVER pap a pregnant mama
ironic eh

wife & holistic mama of 1 girl, 1 boy and 1 :
#9 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM

due to my annual scheduling, i have wound up having one with all of my pregnancies, except this one -- it is bizarre!

BUT they do a gentle preggo lady version of the PAP, its a bit different. i dont know the technical term. i guess less, uh, "up in there?"

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#10 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of getting a pap during pregnancy?

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#11 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my first ever pap at my first prenatal appointment. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#12 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Actually, if you have a history of normal paps and are in a monogamous relatinoship, current guidelines say you can go 2-3 years between paps now.

I will refuse a pap during pregnancy every time.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#13 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM

I had a PAP last week, but my last one was 4 years ago. Oops. Thankfully, no spotting afterwards. I have had 3 miscarriages, so I am afraid of any spotting.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#14 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM

The last one I had was a year ago in March, so I'm sure they will want to do one at my 1st appointment but I'm going to decline. I've had at least 3 clean paps in a row. you can always decline any test. they cannot MAKE you do anything.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#15 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM

I thought current recommendation was not to do a PAP on a pregnant woman?!? The cells change due to the pregnancy hormones and can return false positives.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#16 of 24 Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate everyone's responses.
My gut feeling was not to get one today. My plan was to decline it, then I was caught off guard.
I couldn't remember when my last one was but I remember the doctor writing that I didn't need one for two years. I wish I had known the information earlier about not needing one during pregnancy if you've never had an abnormal pap, are in the same relationship with the same person and it's less than 2 years. I'm happy I know this now and hope other women will feel they can speak up and decline a pap smear during pregnancy. I think it's sad that we need to be advocates for ourselves, even at a prenatal visit.

I am planning a homebirth with a midwife and have seen her once already. My idea was that I would see my family doctor, check in with her and she'd order the blood tests. Instead they said I needed to see her physician's assistant for the first appointment. I thought this would be fine. Unfortunately it was not a good experience.

She had a really hard time clamping onto my cervix. I think she tried around 10 times. She said it was because my uterus is tilted. The swabbing hurt more than it ever has. Usually I can hold still. This time I started moving backwards away from her and tensing up. I was so scared I'd have spotting. Luckily I didn't. However my cervix still aches almost 12 hours after my appointment.

I think I'm going to tell my doctor about my experience next time I see her. I think the appointment would have gone better if I'd had my regular doctor.
I really wish I'd gone with my intuition...that a woman's cervix shouldn't be messed with during pregnancy.

I also wanted to share that I read the same as cristeen. That the results sometimes show an false abnormal pap result, which makes the doctors want to do more unnecessary tests.

Thanks for letting me share. Thanks for your feedback. I think this is an important issue.

#17 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar View Post
I really appreciate everyone's responses.
My gut feeling was not to get one today. My plan was to decline it, then I was caught off guard.
I couldn't remember when my last one was but I remember the doctor writing that I didn't need one for two years. I wish I had known the information earlier about not needing one during pregnancy if you've never had an abnormal pap, are in the same relationship with the same person and it's less than 2 years. I'm happy I know this now and hope other women will feel they can speak up and decline a pap smear during pregnancy. I think it's sad that we need to be advocates for ourselves, even at a prenatal visit.

I am planning a homebirth with a midwife and have seen her once already. My idea was that I would see my family doctor, check in with her and she'd order the blood tests. Instead they said I needed to see her physician's assistant for the first appointment. I thought this would be fine. Unfortunately it was not a good experience.

She had a really hard time clamping onto my cervix. I think she tried around 10 times. She said it was because my uterus is tilted. The swabbing hurt more than it ever has. Usually I can hold still. This time I started moving backwards away from her and tensing up. I was so scared I'd have spotting. Luckily I didn't. However my cervix still aches almost 12 hours after my appointment.

I think I'm going to tell my doctor about my experience next time I see her. I think the appointment would have gone better if I'd had my regular doctor.
I really wish I'd gone with my intuition...that a woman's cervix shouldn't be messed with during pregnancy.

I also wanted to share that I read the same as cristeen. That the results sometimes show an false abnormal pap result, which makes the doctors want to do more unnecessary tests.

Thanks for letting me share. Thanks for your feedback. I think this is an important issue.
Hope you feel better soon. It is truly sad that we have to be such advocates for ourselves. And it's awful that the vast majority of women don't know that they have a choice, they just think that they "have to" do whatever the doctor tells them to. I have a friend who is pregnant too and I was just telling her the other day that I am going to decline my Pap smear at my 1st appointment and she was like, "well, you have to get it though, so why not just get it over with?" Have to. I was like, "No, I don't have to do anything. It's not necessary. I will get one postpartum."

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#18 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Angelachristin I agree, I think postpartum is the best bet.

#19 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deymm View Post
Actually, if you have a history of normal paps and are in a monogamous relatinoship, current guidelines say you can go 2-3 years between paps now.

I will refuse a pap during pregnancy every time.
This is what my MW told me, which is why I felt comfortable declining, even though it had been more than a year since my last pap.
#20 of 24 Old 02-27-2009, 10:56 PM

I had one, but only b/c I had an abnormal pap after my last pregnancy (followed by a normal one a month later) and since it had been less than 6 months they wanted to check
#21 of 24 Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 AM

My last pap was some time in 2005 shortly before I got pregnant with #2. Once #2 was born I went to my family doctor -- we lived in the Netherlands back then -- and she explained to me that in the Netherlands they do a pap every 5 years, so she sent me back home without doing one. Now my last pap is still the one from 2005. in my intake apointment with the midwife, when discussing this topic, she said there would be no need to take one now, we'd better wait postpartum, and the Dutch approach is pretty reasonable if all your paps so far have come out normal.
Interesting....
#22 of 24 Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 AM

My doctor was going to do one at my first prenatal exam, but I asked to skip it because I was worried about spotting. I had spotting for the first 7 weeks of my pregnancy and it had finally stopped and I didn't want it to start up again. She still did some swabs to check for infections (which I was fine with), but I barely felt them.

Married to my perfect match since July 2007 and joyfully expecting our first sometime around September 23rd!:
#23 of 24 Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deymm View Post
This is what my midwife told me as well. She'll done one PP.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#24 of 24 Old 02-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejeff View Post
This is what my midwife told me as well. She'll done one PP.
I've heard that too, but my doctor mentioned that pregnancy can bring about changes with the cells, which is why they recommend a pap. That explanation still doesn't explain why a pap is needed, imo.

Married to my perfect match since July 2007 and joyfully expecting our first sometime around September 23rd!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page