Anybody still keeping it a secret? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We still havent made our news public. We are waiting until the second trimester, but truth be told, I'm really not looking forward to my entire family watching and commenting on every morsel that goes into my mouth! Anyone else?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have only told our parents and siblings but no other family members. I have a huge extended family that will flip-out when they find out this was kept a secret so long. I won't tell them until I hear the heartbeat at my next MW appt (14w5d), I am 12w today.

I has been hard not to tell but it was so hard having a m/c and having to tell everyone the bad news (I was almost 16w).

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#3 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM

We told both families a couple of weeks ago. I'm 9.5 weeks along right now. The m/s has been fierce and we've seen the heartbeat. DH insisted on telling everyone. I've also told a few friends and people we know.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#4 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM

I am 9 1/2 weeka and the only people that know are my DH, my MW, and you ladies

If I had heard the heartbeat at my appt this week like I had *hoped*, I probably would have decided I could tell everyone. . .but I am too afraid to share till I have heard or seen something.

Also I am not looking forward to the extra attention. . .this will be the first grandkid for my parents and I fear the hovering! (Even though it will be hovering from a different state!) On the other hand it will be so nice to finally share. . .its getting hard to act like everything is normal!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#5 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 08:21 PM

The whole world knows about us When I started getting really sick, we had to tell our kids, and my family (we see them every day), and of course the kids told their friends and teachers....I was leary, after having told everyone early about our first baby and losing that one, but now I'm feeling fine. We've heard the hb, and seen the baby via u/s and all looks good. It gets harder not to tell with more kids, IME. The girls were really worried about why I was so sick all the time- and that was only 6wks!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#6 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
It gets harder not to tell with more kids, IME. The girls were really worried about why I was so sick all the time- and that was only 6wks!
same here. I was 5/6 weeks along and sick all day each day and my 13 y o was wondering why I was so sick. I don't see my family much but I kept telling my brother, who I am very close to, that I was sick day after day and I didn't want him to worry. Ofcourse now he is worrying me to death about it. That part is getting on my nerves at this point but only because I've been so sick with the m/s. Once I'm past the gross, sick feeling I will be okay with all the attention.

#7 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 PM

I announced it on Facebook yesterday.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#8 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
We still havent made our news public. We are waiting until the second trimester, but truth be told, I'm really not looking forward to my entire family watching and commenting on every morsel that goes into my mouth! Anyone else?
This is me. Dh told his family (just the ones we live by) and maybe a few other folks but if it were up to me I'd wait until I was just a few weeks away from birth. I HATE having everyone look me up and down 'what has she gained, what hasn't she gained, I can't believe she's running, etc.'

My SIL told her children (about our baby) right away, she loves to do that for some reason and they were busy with a name list immediately, so nasty Auntie Meg had to say to everyone 'you know, this is very early in pregnancy to be working on names.... we still have a long way to go and lets not push it.' Silence in the room. I hate to be a killjoy, but who knows what will happen at this point!! It's how I protect myself from the 'no guarentees' part of pregnancy and life. : One day I will seek help....

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#9 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 PM

People have known for a long time for us. As soon as we got the first u/s dh insisted we tell. I've been on pins and needles praying we don't have to spread the bad news AGAIN....but so far so good - another us with baby measuring at 12w3d LAST monday. so, I'm thinking if the baby measures past the first trimester, that's good, right?

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#10 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM

I'm 11 weeks and 1 day as of today, I was hoping to save it until officially 12 weeks, but my mom's coming into town tonight so we're announcing it tonight at dinner. I made a "gift certificate" that says "This gift certificate is redeemable for 1 grandchild. Please use by September 17, 2009." Her birthday's next month, and she wasn't supposed to come out till the 9th (she's here for work) but they bumped it up so we're giving it to her as an early bday present. :-)

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#11 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:37 PM

I have one friend who had a late miscarriage (around 18weeks) and she's pregnant again and didn't tell everyone until almost 30 weeks!!!! She just couldn't bring herself to do it. I guess I don't blame her.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#12 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM

We've told most of our friends, but not family.... ok... so one family member on each side. to the cousin here and one of my sisters (the one that can actually keep a secret of this magnitude). We're still planning on waiting until toward the end of March when my parents and ILs will be on vacation together. It's getting harder tho.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#13 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM

A select group knows, including both sets of grandparents and some close friends, but more people don't know than do. Like others here I was waiting until my first (week 10) MW appointment to hear HB and then spread the news ... but no HB was audible and so I'm having everyone keep the secret a few more weeks.

I find myself not calling people because it seems lame to not talk about what is actually going on in my life.
#14 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 PM

I live 2000 miles away from my family. Three of them know, but that's it. I am starting to show, so they've guessed at work already. They were really happy for me though because they were around in October. One girl started crying she was so happy. She's a good egg.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#15 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM

We haven't told yet! It's killing me, but we are going to see our family soon in person (they live really far away) so we are waiting to tell them first, and then we'll tell our friends in our home town and when we return we'll tell everyone here. I'll be 14wk at the time.

I can't wait to announce it to everyone in person and then also put it on Facebook. I'm just so excited!

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#16 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 PM

We've told the crucial people (my BFF, DH's boss, great-grandma), but no one else until the 2nd trimester.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#17 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 10:54 PM

Our immediate family has known for a little while, plus a few select friends, but we are just getting around to letting everyone else know now. We decided to wait until 12 weeks to make it public, and DP happened to have staff meeting right on that day, so he made an announcement then.

I had to laugh everytime someone mentioned facebook in this thread. Facebook makes it SO hard to keep a secret, doesn't it? I think I've been more concerned about someone making a comment on facebook than anything else, lol.

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#18 of 34 Old 02-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Our most of our family and some of our friends have known for a while (I'm 10w1d) My boss and one coworker know, but I swore them to secrecy. I didn't want to tell them, but had to for scheduling purposes. I'll tell everyone else at work and will post on Facebook at 12w. My mother doesn't know. I'll tell her when I talk to her I guess - we are not close.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#19 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 AM

I've told a few people who are close to me, but have not announced it widely. DH really wanted to wait. We plan to tell DD tomorrow (I will be nearly 14 weeks) & then we/she will tell others. I am sooooo excited! I think she will be thrilled.
#20 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 07:21 AM

I am in my 2nd trimester and still have not told. I just do not enjoy all the little remarks..or the big ones. Oddly, I am not showing yet so as long as I am not showing, I won't tell. I am really really enjoying the peace of being pregnant, free of others opinions and comments and "advice." My friends know though.
#21 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post
I am in my 2nd trimester and still have not told. I just do not enjoy all the little remarks..or the big ones. Oddly, I am not showing yet so as long as I am not showing, I won't tell. I am really really enjoying the peace of being pregnant, free of others opinions and comments and "advice." My friends know though.
yeah that part has been getting on my nerves so far. We told everyone a couple weeks ago so I've comment after comment and since I've had m/s I'm not really in the best of moods each day. I just haven't been in the mood much to talk about my plans just yet.

#22 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
When I started getting really sick, we had to tell our kids, and my family (we see them every day), and of course the kids told their friends and teachers....
That with us too. I hadn't told anyone, but my kids figured it out when I was about 8 weeks pregnant and had been in bed for a week puking. Word got out and I am so glad b/c I am still bed ridden at 13plus weeks and my Sunday School class has been providing meals for my family since then.

However, I live very far from my family and I just told them last week at 13 weeks. I will make it more public in the next few weeks (Facebook and on line groups, doula clients etc.).

Maria :, mom to 4 cuties with 1 sweet hubby
doula, childbirth educator and midwife wanne-be!
#23 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeys_mom View Post
We have only told our parents and siblings but no other family members. I have a huge extended family that will flip-out when they find out this was kept a secret so long. I won't tell them until I hear the heartbeat at my next MW appt (14w5d), I am 12w today.
Oh this is just like me! The problem is we see our extended family so often. It's tough keeping it a secret.

This is the first grandchild for both DH's mom and my parents. But it's also the first great-grand child on my mom's and my dad's family! My dad's parents are in town, so I will probably end up telling them tomorrow out of guilt. And I don't expect them to keep it a secret, so we'll end up telling all of my dad's family as well. I want to wait to tell my moms gigantic family until spring break when all my cousin's will be in town.

The whole thing seems to be a huge mine field!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#24 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Friends know, some locally and online, and my SIL knows because she sees me sick every day (I watch her kids). No one else in our families know. My DH's ex boss knows (we found out the day DH got laid off) and the employer he interviewed with knows. I'm putting off telling the families until we tell the kids, and I'm putting that off as long as I can since I don't want it to be an even longer wait for them.

I'll hopefully have an appointment with a midwife next week so my 5 year old will likely catch on then (I'm surprised he hasn't already, we haven't been overly careful). I'll be 10 weeks then so I guess him telling people won't be a huge thing.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#25 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 PM

I told the world In fact, we told them all within a few days of getting the home positive. I was trying to think of a cute way to tell them all, but I didn't come up with anything, so I just posted it on our webpage, then waited for the phone to start ringing!

My thoughts on it is that if we were to have another miscarriage (had one between our boys), then I'd want the support from friends/family. I don't want to suffer in silence. It would be hard to tell everyone, sure, and in the event that somehow someone (coworker, obscure family member, etc) didn't find out about the m/c and asked about the baby later, it would be awkward. But I don't want to keep that to myself either. A pregnancy means a new life beginning, whether that life makes it to birth and after, or if it ends too soon, it deserves to be celebrated. My thoughts anyway

Plus, I get awfully sick, I show very early (there's no hiding this pregnancy now and I'm only 10 weeks!), and I like the support from coworkers and neighbors who offer to help with my other kids.

None of our family lives near us, which is a good thing sometimes (no one looking over my shoulder, judging anything I do or don't do) and a bad thing sometimes (no extra support, no one to share in the joy) But we lived literally half way around the world (Japan) when we had our first baby, so we're used to doing this on our own

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#26 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 07:57 PM

I've told a couple of close friends, but that's it. I'm not really sure I'm waiting for anything (second tri, first appointment), it just hasn't happened yet. I think I might have to tell my family soon since I'm getting a little belly and I'm fairly slim so I think they'll notice. (I'm 10w2ds). For some reason, I just don't really feel like talking about it yet. Everyone will be all excited and ask all kinds of questions and I know my MIL will start wondering whether I'm going to have another homebirth. Eh. Maybe in a couple of weeks.
#27 of 34 Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM

definitely won't tell anyone til the 2nd trimester (or later). I am extremely high risk, and on probation at my job (have only been here 5 months), so I need to last at least 4 more weeks before I let anyone here find out. I got to 12 weeks with my last one (a different job) and had to tell them when I was put on bedrest while losing a twin. That was awkward. I can't give my employer a reason to get rid of me quite yet.
#28 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM

Still not telling...so much so that I've really only lurked here.

I haven't told anybody except dh, my closest friend, and my SIL (she lives practically next door and watches ds during my appointments, so I couldn't NOT tell her). Dh, on the other hand, announced it to everybody he works with...kinda cute except he only told me after the fact.

We're not going to tell family or other friends for quite a while. My hope is to wait until we know the sex and then announce that at the same time. How fun! One reason we are holding off is that I have been really nervous about something going wrong and having to explain that to our other children. I know they have to learn about these things some time, but I would prefer that time not to be now and in a situation that is so close to home.

On a side note, my dh totally made up for the premature work announcement. Last night I was coming down with a nasty, nasty cold/sore throat. He told me to go up to bed as soon as he got home and then took care of everything while I slept for 13 HOURS straight!! I don't know if I've EVER slept that long. I couldn't believe it, but I felt SOOOO much better when I woke up this morning. Yeah dh!!!

Mom to ds (7/02), dd(2/04), ds (9/07), and dd 9/09
#29 of 34 Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM

woah skydancer i think i had that same bug! i felt so much better after a long sleep! i was terrified it was the flu, whew!

and i am not telling til after my CVS results are in, in a week or so.

though everyone seems to know already, darn it. but we dont really "speak of it" kwim?

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#30 of 34 Old 03-01-2009, 03:44 PM

Yep, I'm only 10 weeks so we'll wait to tell "the world" a few weeks, but most of the important people know, and though they are sworn to secrecy it didn't work last time.

Mama to DS 4.22.07 (ana to peanuts) and DD 10.7.09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page