Diaper Making Mommas....let's see your stash starting to grow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-27-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to finish all of my other sewing projects and delay starting to make diapers because I know that once I start there will be no turning back I mentioned it to my husband last night and he thought I was nuts..."If you want to start sewing diapers...start sewing diapers!" So, today I begin (if I have time after homeschool and a trip to the library).

I sewed my first diaper before my last baby was born. I use some favorite t-shirts and the diaper turned out....awful. I mean, really bad. The next set of diapers were for more of a preemie sized baby (my 1st was ~5lbs full-term)...these diapers have only been worn by dolls and stuffed puppies.

I've gotten better since then and am quite excited to try again. I've got t-shirts to use, some flannel, some PUL, and some velcro. I need to restock on my FOE and soon my regular elastic.

Who else is getting started early? Anyone made anything yet? Show us your homemade diapers...the prefolds, the fitteds, the covers, pockets and AIOs...the mistakes, the ones you are proud of, the teenie-tiny ones for newborns...everything. I want to see them.
#2 of 16 Old 02-27-2009, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oooh! subbing! I've cut out my first pattern, and bought a few sweaters for felting. Other than that, nothing!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#3 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM

I haven't started sewing yet, but bought the Very Baby AIO pattern. I'm planning to make a mix of fitteds, covers and AIO's and see what works for us. I'm going to buy a dozen infant prefolds as well. I also printed off a free Darling Diapers pattern for a newborn fitted.
I have no diaper-type fabrics in my stash, so I've joined a few co-ops with bamboo and other natural fiber fabrics. I need elastic, snaps (buying a set of the new snap pliers) and aplix as well. Once I've gotten everything together I'll be sewing up a storm! I'm pretty excited to get started!
I'm also planning to make some wool interlock covers, as well as some AIOs with pul. I think AIOs will be easier for my dp.

I'm hoping we'll find out the gender at our 20wk ultrasound (we only have one ultrasound here in NS)... then I can make some cute fitted dipes with prints as well just for fluff
#4 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 12:51 PM

I've got some wool sweaters I am going to make soakers out of. Hopefully I'll do one this weekend.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#5 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 01:50 PM

oh lordy - I am SO not a sewer....and I even received a sewing machine for a gift.

But honestly, I can't wait to see everything you guys cook up - I can oogle over it and who knows! maybe it will inspire me

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#6 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM

subbing...I'm due Oct 6th but could most likely go early again!

I made all of dd2's dipes and most of dd1's. I LOVE the darlingdiaper unlimited pattern. It has literally everything. The free newborn pattern from there is nice too. I need to come up with some gender neutral dipes, because everything I have is super girly, but I won't really have time to sew them after we find out because we're building a house!

I use a cotton knit or woven on the outside, sherpa or cotton fleece as the hidden, and velour or microchamois or dyed cotton fleece as the inside. I make snap-in soakers (easier for dh lol) and I prefer front snapping when little! I have a snappress, and that was hands down the best investment ever!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#7 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

I made one Rita's Rump Pocket last night and another this morning. I decided to try these because they were so simple and versatile...and because I have a whole stack of cotton babies inserts to stuff them with. I loved the sew-on-the-line pattern; it's so easy, quick and uses few supplies.

The first on is blue dots on both sides. My ruffles turned out a little different on each side (one is a little wider), but other than that it turned out well.

The other is a t-shirt on one side and a pattern on the other side...since they are reversible, I could use either side. The t-shirt was one I had been saving to make a diaper out of...this is my field of study... and, yes, I know I'm a geek for turning it into a diaper but I like it.

Here are the pics.

Ok...I think I'm good to go back to my other projects for a few days. I'm sure it won't be too long, though, until I feel the need to make more baby diapers.
#8 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 03:34 PM

I think I'll go with mostly prefolds for the newborn sizes. The diaper sewing will probably come after we find out the sex. I'm going to try to use as much from my stash as I can. It's hard to resist new, fabulous fabric.... DD is 5 years old & bamboo was not even on the radar the last time I diapered. I have flannel, terry & sherpa in my stash, so I should be able to make good diapers with what I have on hand.

I'm hoping to get some maternity sewing done before I dive into the diapers.

Isn't this fun!
#9 of 16 Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM

I keep saying that the only 2 reasons I want to learn to sew is to make quilts and diapers! I wish I had saved dipes from my other 3- I was a major addict and had so many really nice dipes. But this baby is going to be stuck with prefolds and covers mainly. You guys keep posting pics so we non-sewers can live vicariously through your cute dipes!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#10 of 16 Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 AM

Lizzy'smommy, I LOVE the red dipe. That just rocks.

A friend has me thinking very seriously about flats. I worked out the costs, and I could make 26 flats out of a bolt of bamboo terry cloth for about $3.50 per diaper. this would be a lot cheaper than many other options, plus I would never have to size-up! They would hopefully last until toddlerhood, plus laundering would be a breeze. And an added bonus - I could use them on DS right now if I made them soon.

It's an idea for you non-sewers as well...I'm just going to cut them out and zig-zag the edges, OR I may go over and borrow my friend's serger to do them. Nothing too difficult.

It seems like the simplest, cheapest option (well okay it would be much cheaper if I went with cotton or birdseye!), and I'm kind of loving the idea of simplicity this time. Plus I like the picture in my mind of a laundry line full of flats blowing in the wind....

Oh, and my mom added the bonus potential for flats to be used as rags when baby is out of them. lol. (This is what she did with the diapers I was in and I actually have memories of cleaning the bathroom with these old diapers!!)

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#11 of 16 Old 03-01-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness , this stash is amazing!!! This is someone from the July due date club...but the title of the thread caught my eye when it was on the list of due date clubs. You have to see these. I'm so jealous.
#12 of 16 Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM

I will never be that productive.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#13 of 16 Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm still working on rearranging furniture to get my sewing room set up again. It was in what is going to be the nursery, so I had to shuffle everything.

I do have to buy some diaper fabrics though, since I don't have anything that would work in my stash. I've knit a couple wool covers and I have several sweaters slated for more. Right now I'm debating whether to invest in a snap press or whether I just want to go with prefolds/flats.

And I'll never be as productive as that link, either.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#14 of 16 Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM

holy crap that kid has a lot of diapers that are super cute and unique. My goal is simply to get their bum covered in something that I'll ACTUALLY use, that's it!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#15 of 16 Old 03-02-2009, 09:20 PM

I had a huge absurd/obsessed stash with DS2 and am trying not to repeat that costly mistake! I sold everything except the prefolds. I have lots of prefolds in every size, need more covers. I do sew, but have never sewn diapers. I'm getting inspired by this thread though!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#16 of 16 Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 AM

am I the only one that doesn't understand this language?

Hehe

Liz

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page