Strong gag reflex - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am very fortunate to have gotten over my morning sickness two weeks ago now, but I still have a very strong gag reflex. It is especially bad soon after eating, if I try to brush my teeth, or even when I am eating a type of food that I don't like the texture of so much (like an orange or something).

Is ao else experiencing this too? For 2nd time + moms, does it go away?

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 PM

I've definitely noticed a stronger gag reflex. Harder to brush my teeth and I have to proceed very carefully when taking my prenatal vitamins, lots of deep breaths and *not* thinking about swallowing something that size! I never had problems taknig large vitamins before.

Not sure when it goes away though (I'm new at this ). . .hoping it will ease when the nausea does.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 02-27-2009, 10:20 PM

I have this too. Most of the time I do not have nausea anymore, but occasionally I take a bite of something and gag on it. Like bananas - those are tough to get down!

I see it as the tail-end of my morning sickness, and figure it will go away soon. I hope.

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
Old 02-28-2009, 01:12 AM

I had little morning sickness with my son, and basically none this pregnancy, BUT I totally have the gag reflex thing. It is particularly bad after brushing my teeth. It seems to be getting really pronounced now and if I recall, it got worse as my pregnancy with my son went on.

I found that if I wait until later in the day to brush it was alright. Also, I can't take prenatals with water, must use juice.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 AM

yeah, I think that I remember that brushing my teeth and swallowing my giant stinky prenatals continued to be gross long past the 1st trimes.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:31 PM

DEFINITELY during the brushing of the teeth. (haha never thought i'd use this smiley)
Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 PM

yeah, I still have the reflex too. Food finally tastes good, but some things just make me gag for no reason. I won't tell you what made me gag this morning or we'd all start gagging!

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009

User Tag List