A few pregnant observations from our weekend trip... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...down across the border.

Disposable diapers (which we bought to make the trip easier, theoretically) have a horrid, pungent, perfumey odor that permeates everything, especially when in the close quarters of a vehicle, and made me gag repeatedly. Ugh -- I can still smell them now, even though we're back.

Cell phones don't work well if you accidentally back over one with your minivan.

Mexican coca-cola comes in these lovely little glass bottles and is made with real sugar instead of corn syrup and helps calm a dodgy stomach caused by breathing too many disposable diaper fumes quite nicely. I bought two cases of it to bring back home.

Juniper bushes, while ordinarily a lovely, green addition to the desert landscape, are NOT your friend in late February/early March, when they release billowy clouds of pollen and cause your poor, pg, immunosuppressed body to sneeze uncontrollably. Achoo! :

Gorditas are food of the gods. Really, truly. So are strawberries and cream paletas (Mexican popsicles.)

Travelling and staying up FAR too late can turn you from being a mere 9 1/2 wks. pg when you start out the day to looking 17 mos. pg by the time you go to sleep. Amazing!

3 days of intermittent car travel is just enough time to get 12" worth of a newborn pair of longies knitted.

I have neither any ideas nor any desire to cook dinner for my family tonight.

That is all. How was your weekend?

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#2 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 PM

My weekend. . .turned 10 weeks on Sat and that mythical pregnancy fatigue which so far had passed me by hit full force. Just when I was supposed to be working on my big school project (I am a grad student and writing--or trying to write--my Master's thesis.) So I spent most of yesterday laying around the house feeling guilty about laying around.

I got very grumpy at DH b/c I was just grumpy and tired and hated thinking about food or cooking. . .but got him to take me out to dinner And made brownies which did improve my mood some--and somehow brownies I don't mind cooking and eating, its just regular food that I hate!

Today it is raining and I am getting a little work done, so maybe the weekend won't be a total loss after all.

BTW Genevieve, I grew up in NM. . .and I still miss the juniper and the desert.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#3 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 08:28 PM

NM is our home of record. But, boy, am I allergic to Juniper!

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#4 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM

Sorry : I meant Guinevere. . . its just the preg brain doing its thing.

PS--Mexico sounds like fun! Haven't been in awhile, but I second you on the sodas in the glass bottle and popsicles. . .and my favorite queso fundido. . .mmmmm

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#5 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM

OMG I LOVE Mexican Coke! I'm so jealous!!!!!

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#6 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 11:07 PM

Kinda OT...but I heard this weekend that one of the soda companies, can't remember if it's Coke or Pepsi, is coming out with a limited edition version with sugar instead of corn syrup. Has anyone else heard that? I'm intrigued!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#7 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM

Not in you DDC but Costco carries Mexican Coke in Colorado and Sam's Club Used to.
#8 of 9 Old 03-01-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, NM's Costcos (at least around us) carry Mexican Coke, as well, but it's in the huge bottles, not the nice, reasonably-portioned-sized little ones (I think they're 8 oz.? Maybe even 6 oz.), and they run something like $18/case, instead of $6 in Mexico.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#9 of 9 Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 AM

yes I was actually at costco in north tx today and they have coke bottled in mexico made with real sugar....I couldn't justify the $24 (I think that's how much, pg brain) for 24 bottles, maybe it was 18 or 19 $ but still I couldn't do it. They looked like 8oz size maybe....again I am claiming pg brain, but man the real glass bottles were awesome!

Sounds like you learned many valuable lessons on your trip

Warmly,
Erin
EDD #5 9-15-09

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page