Mothering Forum banner

Digestion Problems?

425 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  sammyloo 
#1 ·
Hi, so I am 10w2d now and ever since around 4 weeks pregnant, I have had terrible digestion problems. You name it, I have had it (constipation, diarreaha (however you spell it), gas, bloating, etc - and really painful too). This is my second pregnancy and I didn't have this with my son. We are under a great deal of stress in our household (my husband's sister is seriously ill, economy, etc.), so I figured it was nerves (or a serious complication - I asked my husband to take me to the ER, but he calmed me down. Apparently serious flatulence is not an emergency to everyone). Still, yesterday, I decided I had to do something so I read some books, did some googling and have decided to try a dairy free, fatty free, fried food free diet. It has been 24 hours and I already feel better. Still regular wanting to vomit because I am pregnant, but the other stuff is quieting down. Has anyone heard that you can become lactose intolerant while pregnant or is this a coincidence? How will I survive? I eat cheese and yogurt and milk and ice cream like it is my job. Anyone have insights?

#2 ·
Given that you've gotten relief with a reduction in fat consumption, my first thought is gall bladder. Best recommendation I've seen is to eat a high fiber/low fat diet. Bring it up with your care provider at your next appointment if it isn't too far down the road, otherwise, I'd call and ask the nurse line at the docs office or the hospital.

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyloo View Post
Has anyone heard that you can become lactose intolerant while pregnant or is this a coincidence? How will I survive? I eat cheese and yogurt and milk and ice cream like it is my job. Anyone have insights?
It's actually not uncommon for dairy to become a trigger during pregnancy. How you will survive is by finding other options. You can try goat's milk and see if you have the same reaction to that, I know if I'm having trouble with cow's milk (like I was the first few weeks), I'm usually fine with goat, but that's not true for everyone. Coconut milk can sub for milk in a lot of places, from cereal to ice cream. If you can't handle goat or cow milk, try sheep cheese and see if that works for you. The selection is definitely less, but it is altogether different from both goat and cow.

There is also a chance, like the pp said that it is not dairy, but fat that is the problem. In which case you should be checked by a doctor. Fat is important during gestation, since it is used to form the brain. If you can't handle dairy, some other good sources of fat would be eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk, meat, nuts, avocados, olive oil. If you can handle any of those without repercussions, then I'd recommend making sure you get some every day.

#4 ·
I've been having similiar problems - I am belching like a truck driver, plus I have alternating constipation and diarreha(sp). Sometimes I have the heartburn - so yes, digestive troubles for CERTAIN!

#5 ·
Yes, me too. I have had alternating constipation and diarrhea. . .two days of this, two days of that. And the gas and bloating. Yikes!

I have wondered if its b/c I added dairy back to my diet after going *almost* vegan, but lately I crave cheese big time. Haven't tried going a few days without it. . .I figured it was just the pg hormones at work and it wouldn't much matter what I ate. I have also heard of people being wheat intolerant during pg (and my mom is gluten intolerant so I am at risk), but that would be also really hard to give up.

If it doesn't improve soon I may have to try cutting out some suspicious foods though.

#6 ·
I think its pretty normal for the constipation, or atleast digestion slowing down. Also the gas and heartburn are normal... and sister i AM RIGHT there with you on the horrid gas...especially at night.

I am lactose intolerant...have been for the last 6 years. I do not tolerate anything dairy well at all even with this pregnancy.. I was sick with diarhera for 3 days and then I figured out the specialty bread my mother bought number 3 ingredient was nonfat milk... so then I understood what was happening...
This is gross but for me I know it is an allergy problem when I have abdominal cramping with diarhea...like you are doubled over thinking this is ridiculously painful.. or pain with gas like that. I do a lot of soy products... soy milk, soy yogurt (although coconut milk is to die for it is so good, and I can't wait to try the coconut icecream) Earth balance is a good vegan butter...just cook with it and your choice of non dairy milk and you can make mashed potatoes, to cookies, to pancakes that are dairy free...its easy.

My mother writes little notes, Liz can eat this, Liz can't eat this. :) It is so cute. Good luck, I am here as a support to anyone who needs help with knocking out the dairy!

Liz

#7 ·
I've been having bouts of constipation too so I've been trying to eat a handful of prunes everyday to keep things moving.

I also have had about three episodes of extremely painful gas. Like the kind of pain that doubles you over where you can't move or have anyone touch you. One episode was at work (very difficult because I didn't want to show anyone I was in pain), the other at the mall in the food court, and the other at home. It's excruciating. I wonder if I should try cutting out dairy too. Might be a good idea.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
It's actually not uncommon for dairy to become a trigger during pregnancy. How you will survive is by finding other options. You can try goat's milk and see if you have the same reaction to that, I know if I'm having trouble with cow's milk (like I was the first few weeks), I'm usually fine with goat, but that's not true for everyone. Coconut milk can sub for milk in a lot of places, from cereal to ice cream. If you can't handle goat or cow milk, try sheep cheese and see if that works for you. The selection is definitely less, but it is altogether different from both goat and cow.

There is also a chance, like the pp said that it is not dairy, but fat that is the problem. In which case you should be checked by a doctor. Fat is important during gestation, since it is used to form the brain. If you can't handle dairy, some other good sources of fat would be eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk, meat, nuts, avocados, olive oil. If you can handle any of those without repercussions, then I'd recommend making sure you get some every day.
ditto to this advice. I have also seen this occur after a pregnancy. I had a similar experience with DD so many gastro symptoms and now I am really sensitive to wheat products. It could also be the high levels of progesterone that slow down the gut process. good thing is that there are a lot of healthy options.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies and advice. I asked my doctor about this at my regular appt. yesterday and he didn't seem concerned. He said it was possible that I could be lactose intolerant now but that I should try adding in small amounts of dairy to see (i.e., I can eat maybe some cheese, just not ALL the cheese). I was very nervous to try, but last night I tried a very small amount and I was ok. Today I am going to try a very small bowl of cereal. He did not encourage me to try to add fried food back in - bummer. As for the fatty, I am definitely not eliminating good fatty foods like avocados, etc., just bad fatty. I am blessed that I don't gain weight easily from eating bad food, but I guess also cursed that it doesn't force me to consider seriously what I put in my body. I have really had a wake up call over the last few days - some big changes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.