Mothering Forum banner

new here!! question

461 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  GiantGi 
#1 ·
Hi ladies,

I have been lurking for awhile now. I am due Sept 12. No one except my immediate family knows so far.

My question is I think I have bacterial vaginitis. I have been struggling w/ this since my son was born in 06. but I have been really good for awhile. but I think I have it now. the reason I am scared is b/c I have already been on antibiotics for 4 weeks!! (3 rounds) during this pregnancy for a nasty sinus infection. I am so worried that they will put me on more antibiotics!!! and then I will end up w/ a yeast infection!! even though I take probiotics. I am worried it's harming the baby and it's a vicious cycle of drugs!! help any advise would be much appreciated I am scared and worried!!

thanks again, Sirena!

#2 ·
You say you think you have it. Can you go to your OB or midwife and have them check it out?

I battled YI and BV for months and months after my little guy was born. It was no fun. It was weekly trips to my OB and I had to try various methods to get rid of it. I was finally prescribed diflucan and a prescription cream (sorry I dont remember the name). It got rid of things for a while. I then got another YI and someone mentioned to me about Boric Acid suppositories. I mentioned it to my provider and she wrote me a prescription for it. She was quite surprised I already knew about it. I took her script to the pharmacy and they wanted to fill it for $2 a suppository. I decided to look online and found it much much cheaper although alot of the places were out of stock. I used it daily as the instructions said and it cleared up. I then used it proactively when I stared AF just as the instructions stated. I continued doing that right up until I got pg.

When I went for my first prenatal visit my provider told me not to use it proactively while pregnant and not to use it to cure w/o first consulting with her.

I write all of this just as an FYI. Your provider may not want you to use it at all while pregnant but it could be worth a mention. And if you cant use it right now, file it for later in case you ever find yourself in the same situation again. Although I hope you dont.

Hope you feel better soon!

#4 ·
thank you Mabmama!!
I will def keep that in mind and look into it!!!!!

here's an update. I called the ob and they just got my symptoms and called some cream in. it's terconazole which I read is not safe during the first trimester. I am dealing with it so it's not that bad. and I will wait it out until it either gets better or is unbearable!! I hope for the first!

thanks, sirena

i am kinda upset that they just called something in w/out even seeing me!! is that normal??

#5 ·
I had this before I knew I was pregnant but was pregnant. I actually get it frequently. Lay off on the sex if you haven't already...thats half the battle..the sperm changes your ph and allows bacteria to grow. My midwives suggested a cider vinegar douche....put some on a tampon, I think you can use lemon juice too, or something. Anyways thats to maintain a healthy PH.. I've also been prescribed Aci-Gel which is hard to find at pharmacies, I think I had to go to like 6 before one could fill it, but that also is good for PH...not sure about during pregnancy.

When I had it, my doctors thought it was a UTI because I had urinary symptoms, and so I had a full round of antibiotics that didn't work, and then another round of antibiotics for the BV once they realized it was that.. which took them forever and me calling everyday being like UMMM I STILL HURT BADLY! and then no lie a week later I got a yeast infection which took 2 weeks to clear up. SO GIRL I AM SO THERE WITH YOU IN SPIRIT.

And don't read any of that shit in the books about BV okay, with preemie birth and all that jazz.. there is nothing you can do to change the past, don't worry like crazy about it...you'll get it taken care of and then you will be fine. Oh and garlic in there too I've heard can help with yeast or ph problem as well...a friend of mine swears by it but she said DO NOT puncture the clove of garlic at all...peel it but don't puncture it lest you might feel some serious burning. Leave it in for 2 hours.

DON't SUE ME.. I'm not a medical provider.

HEHEHEHE Like I give a shit about that! I just realized I'm the curser of the group...hope nobody minds!
Liz

#6 ·
Hi Lizard lol thanks for all the advise!! I did used to use a tampon w/ apple cider vinegar and it worked everytime. But I was scared to put anything up there now!!
what do a ya think??
I haven't used to terconazole cream yet... It's been managable. We'll see as the day goes on. I am eating yogurt, fermented veggies and trying to stay away from bread, and sugars.
thanks!!

#10 ·
That is the cream I was prescribed before. I couldnt remember the name of it.

The ACV in water does taste nasty but it helps. *shudder* *blech*

I bought a book while I was in the midst of the worst of my troubles. The Body Ecology Diet. Its chock full of good info. Maybe the library would have it.

#11 ·
Thanks for all the info!!

I did go in for a culture, although b/c I have had so many I know it's bacterial and not yeast. She said not to us the cream b/c it's for yeast. and if the bacteria comes back positive in a few days, she's give me other cream. all of which she aid was safe.

she did say that the apple cider tampon and ok to do, probiotic pill down there, mostly all the alternative treatments which I was glad to hear!!

I did read the Body Ecology diet!!! I think that if I followed it religiously I would be so much better off. But it's sooo hard to stay on!! for me anyway.
I was soooo disciplined for 2 years while nursing my food allergic ds, and now I am off the wagon so to say!! lol
MabMama do you follow the BED??

I also found that the acv wasn't too bad in hot water w/ raw honey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.