Mothering Forum banner

Who is planning to use Hypnobabies?

483 views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  tofutti 
#1 ·
I am totally getting it, probably in a couple of months. Anyone else used it or want to?

#2 ·
I'll be using it. I bought it already, then found out it's kind of too early to start. I may start anyway and just do each lesson an extra week.

#5 ·
hey i dont wanna be captain bringdown but i took the class, practiced with the tapes, read the book.........and it didnt work
:

maybe it was me? also i had to be induced which couldnt have helped. but it really didnt work for me!?

the thing about the class i took here (in person) were the great instructors who were super positive about natural childbirth and shared great, great stories, great videos and stuff like that. and i took alot of that advice with me and it helped in labor. but i was really kind of pissed off at the whole "its not a contraction its a wave" thing, in fact i joked about it during labor -- GOD #$&*@ WAVE IS KILLING ME! and the whole "labor shouldnt hurt" idea turned out to be, well, kind of bogus? i wished for some more realistic preparation, i guess?

but i know it works for some people!

so, not sure about it

#7 ·
I am considering it too, and hope we can fit it into the budget! It's a bit pricey but I think I would sell it afterwards. (I saw some selling on ebay that went up to retail price??!)

At the moment I'm trying to ignore the fact that I will, in fact, have to go through labour to get this baby out. For now I'm sticking with my daydream of waking up on my due date to a baby sleeping beside me.

Erin

#8 ·
I think you're supposed to start by 25 weeks. I've listened to the first CD a couple times while going to sleep and it totally helped me relax...guess that's a good thing!

#9 ·
Quote:
maybe it was me? also i had to be induced which couldnt have helped. but it really didnt work for me!?
Don't feel bad. As a doula I have worked with many hypnoclients. It doesn't completely work for most of them either for whatever reason. However, it is not bad for relaxation even if it doesn't actually produce a pain free birth for everyone.

I have worked with moms who did hypno for baby #1, and then took Bradley or something more comprehensive the second time and combining what they learned from both methods seems to produce very positive births.

And yeah, induction makes everything harder!

#10 ·
Totally new to all this. . .not at all sure what I will do/choose. Definitely want to take Bradley classes, and would love to find a doula who does/knows some hypnobirth methods. Not sure about the tapes though. . . I suspect I would be like tofutti and just be thinking "what the @%*, that was not a wave that was a giant ball of pain as a huge baby tries to make its way out of my pelvis!"

I've heard that only a small percent of people are good candidates for hypnosis. But I am also willing to try anything that might help!

Anyone have other opinions about childbirth classes methods? (I know its abit early, but might as well get some ideas now!)

#12 ·
i think for those of us who it didnt work for, we feel kinda embarrassed

like, what's my problem?

it really cant hurt, and for first time mamas like i was, its good to have SOMETHING to focus on other than your fears of the unknown.....to visualize yourself going thru it and succeeding, ya know?

we watched these tapes in our class of women who gave birth using hypnobirthing, and they literally looked ASLEEP!!! realistic? not so sure!

p.s. thank you noodle
i feel better

#14 ·
hypnobirthing. so we had the book, the cds, and then a 10 session class at a birthing center here.

i think hypnobirthing is the lady who "invented" it in the 70s (?) but hypnobabies is very similar and might even be better!

#15 ·
Everything I've read indicates that Hypnobabies is better than Hypnobirthing, including reviews from mamas who have used both.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovejeff View Post
Everything I've read indicates that Hypnobabies is better than Hypnobirthing, including reviews from mamas who have used both.
yup, this is exactly what i was going to say. people generally seem happier with hypnobabies.

and to boot they seem to say similar things to what you are saying about hypnobirthing tofutti.

#17 ·
I'll be using Hypnobabies, and this is our first child.

I spoke to a lot (and I mean it - A LOT!) of women who either tried other methods with their first or second birth, and then tried Hypnobabies, or moms who had horrible hospital births and them tried Hypnobabies - and about 90% of them were over the Moon with their Hypnobabies birth experience. The other 10% had issues in terms of 1) belief system (never fully believed they can do it, and did not spend as much time practicing), 2) hospital procedures (induction, etc.) threw them off, 3) couple of moms I spoke to went to labor early, and never completed their course...

That said - I loved it so much, that I took the instructor training last year, and am sooooo excited to work with women interested in Hypnobabies.

))

#18 ·
I am using hypnobabies this time around. I used hynpobirthing last time... it worked in the sense that I didnt' have birth fears and I was relaxed and had a med-free natural birth... it didn't prevent pain, but I had another issue going on that I doubt hypnosis would have helped with (my cervix ripped and prolapsed--ouch).

I am believer in it, but this I want to try hypnobabies!

#19 ·
yeah i would be curious to see how the other program works!

one thing i DID remember at 4 am

the breathing REALLY helped. and you can start NOW!

just go in, count 20, out through your throat (yoga style) count 20. so so helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.