Heaviness in the lower abdomen - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have this? I have really been noticing it this week and today especially. Just a constant heavy feeling in my lower abdomen--above my pubic bone. Kinda achy too, but mostly just so much pressure and heaviness.

I assume its normal as things get bigger. . .but just wondering from the BTDT crowd--is this the next six months for me? Do you always feel so heavy and achy? (well, that seems kind of like a duh, but do you adjust I guess is what I mean) Or am I just sensitive and I ain't felt nothing yet?

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Hmm, I never felt this feeling. I just feel the occasional pain from my uterus stretching and growing. Even now, with feeling the baby all the time, It still does not feel that heavy. Maybe your plecenta is there? i don't know, I am sure someone here has had that though!
#3 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 PM

I'm a newbie, too, but I'm feeling this as well. Not achy so much, but the heaviness. I figured I'm just not used to having a tummy yet.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#4 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 PM

I have some heaviness too. It just is. Some days it feels less heavy than others. I can't remember with Piper, but I think I just got used to it.

Wendy

Wendy, certified child passenger safety technician
Mommy to Piper Mayhew (7/26/02) and my unassisted homebirth Laine Anjou (9/16/09)
#5 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM

DDC crashing from August...

I get it every pregnancy. I have it something awful this time. Waddling at 17.5 weeks! You'll adjust, but at first it's very noticeable. If it's straining your back, a maternity belt can be helpful. Good luck
#6 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 PM

yup, that's pregnancy. i have it too. noticed it today before i saw your post.
ps: you'll get used to it!

#7 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 09:30 AM

http://www.prenatalcradle.com/
http://www.maternitysupport.com/

Those webpages have some maternity support belts that you might find helpful. I used the maternity support from the second web page during my last pregnancy, and I found it to be extremely helpful!!! I have an old back injury that flares up often during pregnancy, plus my second pregnancy I had significant symphasis pubis diastasis which caused me a LOT of pubic bone pain (like I couldn't even cross my legs, had trouble walking, man it was bad!!)

If you are feeling pelvic pressure, you might want to try one of these and see if they help. I got my maternity support from a second hand kids clothing store locally that had a maternity section, I think I paid $5 for it Of course I gave it away after I delivered, so now I have to go find another one for this pregnancy!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#8 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks 2boysmama, I have been wondering about needing/using a maternity belt. Although, seems silly to use one now when I am not even showing much/really. Yesterday, I did have the urge to keep holding onto my non-existent belly--I just wanted to hold up whatever it was that felt so heavy. So I may be doomed for one of those supports.

Are they awkward/bulky to wear?

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#9 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
Thanks 2boysmama, I have been wondering about needing/using a maternity belt. Although, seems silly to use one now when I am not even showing much/really. Yesterday, I did have the urge to keep holding onto my non-existent belly--I just wanted to hold up whatever it was that felt so heavy. So I may be doomed for one of those supports.

Are they awkward/bulky to wear?
I did not find it awkward or bulky, and it fit well with my clothes, but I did have problems wearing it at work because I sit at a desk primarily, but do a lot of getting up and going to the printer, going to meetings, etc. It wasn't comfortable for me to wear while sitting, it would leave painful pressure lines at the bend in my hip, but I wanted it on for those short walks and it was too much time just to put it on for a walk to the printer, you know? So usually I just suffered while at work and wore it primarily at home. I also took it off in the car, because it would tend to ride up a little and push on my abdomen and be uncomfortable.

I'm making it sound like a hassle, but really, if I was going to be on my feet for more than a minute or two, it was the only thing that kept me even somewhat comfortable!!! And I didn't dare vacuum or sweep without wearing it! So I guess I wore in on weekends and in the evenings at home.

Even if you're not showing much, just the support on your hips might be helpful to you. If it doesn't help you yet, you could just keep it on hand for when you are bigger

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#10 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 PM

Oh, and don't forget to work on strengthening your core muscles...your back, your obliques, your abs Yes, pregnant women CAN do ab work, you just have to alter the positions a bit. Google it for books or videos on pregnancy safe exercises.

#11 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks 2boysmama. . .any particular one you would recommend? I have seen some that are just like a wide belt and others that go over the top of the belly and underneath.

#12 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM

http://supports4less.com/brace-type/...orts/index.htm

Here's another page I found.

I had one that was very similar to the first three on this page, I don't remember the actual name brand of it. My dr prescribed me a different one, I've been trying to find it online, but haven't found it yet. It was VERY complicated, and was worn like granny-panties with belts and suspenders that went through the crotch and up around the shoulders...it was specifically for pelvic support, not necessarily back or abdomen support (I had symphysis pubis diastasis). But it was so complicated! And imagine having to take that thing on and off to pee 20 times a day??!! I'm sure it would have given me more pelvic support, but it wasn't worth the hassle, the back/abdomen support worked well enough for me

But if I find that other one online, I'll link to it.

#13 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM

I've noticed this too. I've also had a sharp, almost tight crampy feeling in my left side a little today. It's not all the time but I've had it a couple of times since I woke up this morning. I think it's all the growth and stuff going on around there, probably the ligaments, but it's been so long that I've forgotten how all that feels.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#14 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 06:00 PM

i have it sometimes but truthfully it is usually at the end of the day and i have eaten a lot. :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page