Mothering Forum banner

what are you planning to have on-hand for your NB?

2K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  bright_eyes 
#1 ·
right now i am thinking mostly clothing wise. i was thinking of having like two going out type outfits (done). about six sleeping gowns (so cute imo) maybe six kimono style t-shirts. a few wool soakers, one or two wool longies. a few hats, socks and receiving blankets..... cds and extra covers of course. do you think i have covered it all for the first few weeks? i am not sure laundry will get done, (we are using a diaper service) we'll see, my DH hasn't done laundry in years. so i am not going to count on him and we may have help but i don't know for sure about that either. i want to have enough clothing on hand in case laundry doesn't get done, i don't want to have to worry about it, IYKWIM..... (it's in the basement and there are a lot of stairs). what are you planning to have on hand for those first two or three weeks pp?
(i love talking about this!)

See less See more
#27 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
I would have 4-5 going out outfits just simplie cotton rompers type things I hate when people dress newborns up in jeans and stuff how uncomfortable for baby
Ditto - the rompers are awesome! Plus it's one-step changing instead of taking off pants, undoing onesie snaps, etc. I'd get a few footies too so you don't have to bother with socks once it's cooler out. And in the beginning you'll want to keep them warmer rather than cooler unless it's absolutely sweltering out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
My son's umbilical stump took a full month (!!!) to fall off. I think at first I was avoiding onesies, but then it seemed like t-shirts were more irritating because they stopped right there at that spot.
I found that, too. Plus with bottoms it's more likely that the waistband is right above the diaper line, where the belly button is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siobhain View Post
Baby poop is especially explosive, you've received lots of great advice, I found I also needed to carry an extra shirt around for myself as well because of leaking breastmilk, it doesn't just dry up and become unnoticable, it leaves a nice oily stain on your shirt! There were times I wish I had extra pants because one of babe's explosive poops ended up all over me, fun hehe
OMG - breastmilk poo gets EVERYWHERE! Luckily it totally does NOT smell so it's a nice trade-off. Ecover makes a great all-natural stain remover stick. It works wonders on those mustard stains!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastrygirl View Post
And be prepared to wear your maternity pants for a while after the birth! That was a surprise to me. Also, I ended up with a c-section, and the pants I had with me had a seam right on that line. OUCH! Next time, it's going to be yoga pants, yoga pants, yoga pants!
I had a section too s anything other than my maternity pants was rough to wear. I ended up taking home a bunch of those mesh disposable panties from the hospital so I didn't get irritated by my own lower-cut ones, and plus I didn't have to worry about getting them all yucky. Lots of great companies make some cool nursing clothes and they're usually very post-partum friendly and "generous" in the belly area. I knew I'd still be big in the middle after giving birth but I didn't realize I'd still look 6 months pregnant! I was leaving the hospital after 5 days (sans child, he had to stay in the NICU a few more days) and someone actually said "congratulations!" in the elevator. And yeah, it wasn't cuz I looked like I just gave birth - it looked like I was ABOUT to!

Geez I wish I'd been on the DDC for my 1st kid with all this good advice from everyone! I was SO clueless...

#28 ·
You'll probably get lots of clothes as gifts after the baby comes. At least we did. Tons of those footed sleepers.

I love the baby gowns. We have about 8 or so.

Gerber and I think Carters too make nice baby-sized t-shirts. I plan on getting more of these and not using onesies as much.

For going out clothes, there is no distinction for me between those and at-home clothes. Babe is either in the car or in the sling, so no one really sees the clothing. The little "real" clothes are cute, but too much of a pain. We were just lucky to get out of the house in CLEAN clothes, much less "nice" clothes. Really, everyone understands.

Breast pads. Don't forget about those. I leaked ounces (literally) per feeding for months and months.

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
well, looks like DH will have to do some laundry if there isn't anyone else. this ought to be funny, b/c he isn't domestic at all. and i don't plan on doing anything but baby for the first two weeks. he is going to be home with me waiting on me, cooking, cleaning and generally taking care of the home. it'll be good for us... i hope!

Make a instruction sheet for any machine he doesn't normally use. Like for the washer, how much soap, what compartment, what temps, what buttons to push, if different loads get different settings, etc. That way, not only can he use it, but anyone else who wants to help can use it too. I'm going to have to do this because my DH doesn't have a clue about the laundry (and I don't use commercial detergents, so nobody else would be able to take over either).

As for clothes, my plan is none. Baby and I are going to hang out in bed as much as possible for the first few weeks, naked time/diaper only. Weather here doesn't tend to start to turn until late October, so clothing is completely superfluous (no a/c). Baby is liable to be born during the height of "Indian Summer". I do have some clothes, which will come in handy for the trip to go see great-grandma we'll have to do after about a week, but other than that I'm not planning on going anywhere/doing anything. DH currently has a month of vacation time saved up, so he'll be home with me that entire time. CSA delivers to my door year-round and the freezer will be stocked with food (and WF is a block away). So I won't have to really worry about clothes until Thanksgiving.

So, along with diapers... a Moby wrap, a car seat, breast pads, nursing bra, and mama cloth. I have a wool sleep sack just about ready to be bound off, and a few wool covers. Along with a few tees, that's it for the newborn period. But then I also am not expecting a small baby - most of our clothes are in the 3-6 mo size.

#30 ·
thanks for this post too!

Another newbie here. I guess I better get buying!! Also double or TRIPLE the quantities of registry items, opps... I guess i just didn't know how messy newborns are..But now I do! Thanks Mommas!

Thankfully the bleeding surprise came a month or two ago..that I am ready for..**i think**

#31 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
Make a instruction sheet for any machine he doesn't normally use. Like for the washer, how much soap, what compartment, what temps, what buttons to push, if different loads get different settings, etc. That way, not only can he use it, but anyone else who wants to help can use it too. I'm going to have to do this because my DH doesn't have a clue about the laundry (and I don't use commercial detergents, so nobody else would be able to take over either).

As for clothes, my plan is none. Baby and I are going to hang out in bed as much as possible for the first few weeks, naked time/diaper only. Weather here doesn't tend to start to turn until late October, so clothing is completely superfluous (no a/c). Baby is liable to be born during the height of "Indian Summer". I do have some clothes, which will come in handy for the trip to go see great-grandma we'll have to do after about a week, but other than that I'm not planning on going anywhere/doing anything. DH currently has a month of vacation time saved up, so he'll be home with me that entire time. CSA delivers to my door year-round and the freezer will be stocked with food (and WF is a block away). So I won't have to really worry about clothes until Thanksgiving.

So, along with diapers... a Moby wrap, a car seat, breast pads, nursing bra, and mama cloth. I have a wool sleep sack just about ready to be bound off, and a few wool covers. Along with a few tees, that's it for the newborn period. But then I also am not expecting a small baby - most of our clothes are in the 3-6 mo size.
good idea about the washing instructions for DH. i'll probably send him down there one day before the birth and see how he does on his own first.

i was thinking about doing a lot of naked time (w/diaper) with my baby too, the first two weeks at least, from what i have read they regulate their temp and body functions better this way. that is why i didn't think i would need that much, i am glad you mentioned this. i still don't know what to get. anybody else do kangaroo care/naked time with their NB?

#32 ·
hmm, same stuff i had for the others, i guess

dozen or so onesies
dozen footed sleepers
6-8 pairs of socks
too many cute outfits that get worn maybe 3-4 time before being outgrown

and 3 dozen cloth diapers plus a bunch of covers

#33 ·
As for laundry, instructions are good, as are labeled baskets for sorting in the laundry room (if you have room), ex: lights, darks, whites, colored towels and sheets, delicates (don't wear these until you figure out your leaking, from boobs and below, control measures). Also, usually cold water does just fine for all but towels and sheets (and that's just my preference to get funky smells and germs out), and of course diapers (cold rinse/wash, hot hot wash, cold rinse).

This helps my hubby, though we do have a rule that he only washes his and baby clothes (too many favorite sweaters tossed in the hot wash and dryer
). And you might keep extra towels by the bed to lay under you - you'll not only leak, but also sweat like crazy as you lose a bunch of water weight the first 2 weeks - and that way you can just change towels instead of sheets every time you soak through. Oh, and fleece blankets work great as fluid-resistant pads under you and baby (under sheets or towels).

Good luck, you'll survive either way, and just let people take care of you. Have a list of things people can do if they come over, and don't let them get away with just holding baby - which is your job
. And the freezer full of food is a great idea. Oh, and be ready a month ahead - my ds came 3 weeks early, right BEFORE the weekend we had set aside to do a thorough cleaning and prep of the house. I made dh vacuum bedroom before we left for birth center because at least the bedroom had to be livable, and the rest of the house didn't get a good clean for, um, months

Boy am I going to be ready ahead of time this go round!

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Ok I am sorry but my eyes came to a screaming halt on this piece. I am a bit clueless...I guess. Bleeding?! I guess I thought this was all going to be pretty and nice and a bit of work. Guess I have some research to do! Bleeding from tearing? or you body cleansing itself? or ummmmm yep I am at a loss didn't consider this in the least.
Okay, this could have been me with my first child! The first time a nurse came in the room and said"I need to check your pad" I thought I ws going to die of embarassment!! I then went on to bleed for six weeks, and I used up many, many bags of pads. I had bought a big pack, thinking that was all I needed.
With my third child, I stripped naked in the bathroom postpartum without being asked, so the nurse could wash me off, lol. I also bought a LOT of pads.
With my fourth, I felt so great that I took a shower an hour or so after the birth. I still bled for six weeks, but it didn't freak me out, and I just bought a few CASES of pads to get me through. I have a case of 7th generation pads in my basement right now and plan on buying more, lol.
See the progression? It took me till my fourth baby to realize that I was allowed to take a walk with the baby at the hospital, DUH, lol. Noone told me I could leave the room, haha.
Basically, buy TONS of pads, enough sleepers/onsies/gowns for 3-4 per day, and don't worry about day/night clothes for a while. Neither you nor the baby will be paying much attention to day or night for a while. It will all run together. :) A few going out outfits is fine. I have mostly handmedowns and stuff from yardsales. I hit the jackpot last weekend!
The truth is that birth and motherhood are messy, but manageable! Your breastmilk will leak at least some, and you will go through a few shirts a day at first, probably. You may want to put something under you when you sleep, because you will get your sheets wet when the baby pops off the breast as you start to let down. A towel works. Your pad may overflow when you nurse, and don't be surprised to have a recurrance of heavier bleeding at 2 weeks, as your placental site heals. Take it easy, lay down with baby, and it will subside.
There will be pee and poo everywhere, most likely. Boys pee up at you, walls, their own face, etc. Girls pee up, then down and up their backs. Much messier than boys. A total change is required, onsies, socks, sleepers, the works. As soon as you go to put thesse back on, he/she will either spit up or poop loudly and leak. It is Murphy's law, and you WILL laugh about it later, even if it makes you cry now.
Oh, this got long, lol.
You will do a great job, and feel very accomplished, when you find yourself deftly changing a screaming, peeing or pooing baby and having a conversation at the same time. It will happen, but it takes a while.
The mess gets less as they get older, and then you will miss it. :-(
Don't forget ibuprofen, gas-x and some witch hazel pads, which feel great even if you don't tear or have stitches.

Leocea

#35 ·
I taught my DH to do laundry when I was pregnant with baby #1. He still has to do his fair share and remembers all the rules. He forgot exactly once when DD was a baby and accidentally dyed all her clothes the wrong color. Never forgot again.

#36 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmclanahan View Post
Okay, this could have been me with my first child! The first time a nurse came in the room and said"I need to check your pad" I thought I ws going to die of embarassment!! I then went on to bleed for six weeks, and I used up many, many bags of pads. I had bought a big pack, thinking that was all I needed.
With my third child, I stripped naked in the bathroom postpartum without being asked, so the nurse could wash me off, lol. I also bought a LOT of pads.
With my fourth, I felt so great that I took a shower an hour or so after the birth. I still bled for six weeks, but it didn't freak me out, and I just bought a few CASES of pads to get me through. I have a case of 7th generation pads in my basement right now and plan on buying more, lol.
See the progression? It took me till my fourth baby to realize that I was allowed to take a walk with the baby at the hospital, DUH, lol. Noone told me I could leave the room, haha.
Basically, buy TONS of pads, enough sleepers/onsies/gowns for 3-4 per day, and don't worry about day/night clothes for a while. Neither you nor the baby will be paying much attention to day or night for a while. It will all run together. :) A few going out outfits is fine. I have mostly handmedowns and stuff from yardsales. I hit the jackpot last weekend!
The truth is that birth and motherhood are messy, but manageable! Your breastmilk will leak at least some, and you will go through a few shirts a day at first, probably. You may want to put something under you when you sleep, because you will get your sheets wet when the baby pops off the breast as you start to let down. A towel works. Your pad may overflow when you nurse, and don't be surprised to have a recurrance of heavier bleeding at 2 weeks, as your placental site heals. Take it easy, lay down with baby, and it will subside.
There will be pee and poo everywhere, most likely. Boys pee up at you, walls, their own face, etc. Girls pee up, then down and up their backs. Much messier than boys. A total change is required, onsies, socks, sleepers, the works. As soon as you go to put thesse back on, he/she will either spit up or poop loudly and leak. It is Murphy's law, and you WILL laugh about it later, even if it makes you cry now.
Oh, this got long, lol.
You will do a great job, and feel very accomplished, when you find yourself deftly changing a screaming, peeing or pooing baby and having a conversation at the same time. It will happen, but it takes a while.
The mess gets less as they get older, and then you will miss it. :-(
Don't forget ibuprofen, gas-x and some witch hazel pads, which feel great even if you don't tear or have stitches.

Leocea
i'm not sure if i should laugh or cry, A WHOLE CASE of pads?????
3-4 sleepers per day???
: are you for real?!

#37 ·
Um....I'm pretty sure after reading that, that baby and I will be stripped down to our diapers/undies for the first 2 months! Yikes! I knew about the bleeding but I didn't know it could go on that long...gee, and here I was thinking that if Chris came home when the baby was 2+ weeks old we could go on a camping trip.....HA!!!!!!

#38 ·
Lots of good advice here hon! Ditto the others on needing a LOT more stuff though!! Newborns poop a lot and throw up alot and just generally leak a lot. Honestly though, the onesies are kind of a pain with CDs. I would try to either get more lap tees (look like regular tshirts) or you can cut and hem the onesies. Makes for quicker changes AND elimintates having to change the shirt AND pants if poop leaks out the legs. JMHO though!

#39 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
Um....I'm pretty sure after reading that, that baby and I will be stripped down to our diapers/undies for the first 2 months! Yikes! I knew about the bleeding but I didn't know it could go on that long...gee, and here I was thinking that if Chris came home when the baby was 2+ weeks old we could go on a camping trip.....HA!!!!!!

#41 ·
DH still laughs about the time he walked in the room and I showed him how I had every possible bodily fluid on or around me and the baby. There was blood, drool, breastmilk, pee, and poop. Niiiiiiice.

Which reminds me...if you're going to use a Boppy, have an extra cover for it, also. Mine got really messy and stained.

#42 ·

OMG - you guys have me laughing SO hard over here. That's the perfect way to summarize- should you laugh or should you cry? :Lol

ENJOY IT!!!!! I promise you you'll look back at that time with such warm feelings - even though you are probably a mess during that time. (I remember bursting into tears, bc baby spit out like 1 tbsp of milk and I had so little supply - it was like GOLD! Or the first time I tried to pump and it was on 'high' and I didn't know it - THAT was an amazing moment...to see the milk squirting on high volume - YIKES!
) I guess I should be thankful? I didn't have leaky boobs?????

#43 ·
This a great thread.
I second the witch hazel pads for afterwards. Aaahhhhh. And eating fiber rich foods and drinking tons of water so when you poop for the first time, it will be somewhat easy. I remember being so scared to go to the bathroom. LOL But I had a few stitches.

Change them quickly too. I took my time once, and Eleanor ended up shooting poop onto the wall. That was funny. Clean under their necks regularly (a lot) as the spit up and milk will collect in there. And it is stanky.

#44 ·
oh gosh! I've been away for a few days and missed all this!

My mom has been insisting that I stay with her for a month after the baby is born. I didn't think I needed to... but I think you all are changing my mind.

#45 ·
I guess I'm in the minimalist clan.

I use fitted cloth diapers, so the only time poop gets on clothes is if I'm not careful when I do the diaper change. With sposies (when I've used them on vacations), every time my child poops they leak and the entire outfit needs to be changed. You so could not pay me to use disposables full-time.

As for other clothing changes due to bodily fluids such as breastmilk or spitup...I love premie Indian prefolds as spitup cloths. A dozen was sufficient for us, and we had spitters. I've never changed clothes because I had spitup or breastmilk on them. It just looks wet. My 2-year-old slobbers on me all the time. I always put on fresh clothes when I go to town. In the morning on days when I'm at home, I put on fresh clothes if there are spots I can see on my clothes from the day before. I hate wearing clothes that look like they've been washed a hundred times so I only wash my clothes when they look dirty.

So two or three sleepers and two or three onsies plus any gifts we get are about all I have to start out. My first outgrew 0-3 months stuff around 6 weeks, my second lasted until 8 weeks. With this baby, by then the season will be changing and they're not selling winter stuff here right now. So I'll buy what I need once I see how quickly baby is growing and once the clothes I'll probably need are in season and available in stores.

If I find good deals at garage sales this summer, I may buy a little more. But I'm not going to have clothing in quantities that some people on this thread have recommended.

#48 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
i'm so not sure i can do this. sorry but ewww.
count me in on this one... I've heard that it's like eating meat
:, and it can help with ppd, but I'm a vegetarian and the whole things grosses me out.

is it that it has a lot of iron? Can I just take a pill instead?

#49 ·
: Same here. I'm a vegetarian, but even if I weren't not sure I could do it. I know its not killing an animal or anything, but the thought just kinda freaks me out. I've heard it tastes like organ meat, so if you like liver. . .

Anyway. . .as for the NB stuff. I don't know yet! I think I will be visiting my mom the end of July and having a baby shower while there, so I don't want to buy too much before then. But then again it seems like a long time to wait till July to know if I have everything on hand. The clothes at least, I think others will want to buy (everyone loves baby clothes! and I will likely end up with cute but useless outfits. . .maybe I need to discourage this somehow).

But I'd like to have 6-12 sleepers (I kinda assume baby will live in these the first few months), two hats, dozen socks, a few onesies, 2-3 outfits, 6 receiving blankets, lots of diapers (yep, I 'm using sposies), wipes, spit-ups clothes. Haven't bought any nursing bras yet, but I will at least get some of the sleeping kind that will accommodate growing breasts.

A boppy and/or my breast friend pillow, and I assume I will be mostly home in yoga pants for a couple months. I told a friend I wouldn't leave the house till I had lost most of the pg weight. . .but I am sure I will get stir-crazy before then. We have a nice little shopping area a couple blocks from us, so as soon as I am up to it, I am sure I will be walking over there for a Jamba juice or to rummage at Ross.

#50 ·
just want to remind everyone that YOUR PP experience and YOUR baby will be different from everyone else's- my boobs never leaked, for instance- it felt like they would explode if I didn't pump on time (was an EPer, see sig), but I never needed breast pads. I also stopped bleeding before my son came home from the NICU, so no more than 2 weeks.

one thing is a constant, though- I really think babies soil clothes MUCH faster than you could possibly anticipate.

#51 ·
Honestly, I woldn't invest much in clothing for the nb period, they are out of that stuff really fast! I'm kind of a minimalist about tiny baby clothes- I just plan to do a wash every day or so. I cloth diaper as well, and never really had a problem with blowouts- it just takes some practice- I use prefolds and love a bikini twist with a decent cover.

I do suggest extra outfits for you (comfy without restrictive waists etc- the stuff that fits you now through month 7 will seem about right for most people.) Don't bother worrying about prepregnancy clothes- most women can't wear them comfortably for a while (mine fit ok within about 8 hours, but I still can't tolerate anything without stretch around my waist- I find myself wanting to LIVE in yoga pants.) Also, you may want to invest in some good breast pads, and some really ugly (but totally comfy) granny-panties.

Moving right along.... DS was born in July, he often hung around in just a diaper. If it's still hot at that point we'll likely do the same. (He was usually in a sling or wrap, adding nother layer was uncomfortable for him.) When he was dressed, it was usually in a onesie or sleeper- I didn't give a second thought to the umbilical stump, and unless I notice signs of infection, I won't again. Cleaning it seems unnecessary to me...

Have your husband start doing the laundry now so he's comfortable with it later on, and while it's nice to plan to not do anything for 2 weeks straight and just be with the baby- they sleep- a lot. Sometimes it's nice to get little things done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.