Mothering Forum banner

what are you planning to have on-hand for your NB?

2K views 59 replies 33 participants last post by  bright_eyes 
#1 ·
right now i am thinking mostly clothing wise. i was thinking of having like two going out type outfits (done). about six sleeping gowns (so cute imo) maybe six kimono style t-shirts. a few wool soakers, one or two wool longies. a few hats, socks and receiving blankets..... cds and extra covers of course. do you think i have covered it all for the first few weeks? i am not sure laundry will get done, (we are using a diaper service) we'll see, my DH hasn't done laundry in years. so i am not going to count on him and we may have help but i don't know for sure about that either. i want to have enough clothing on hand in case laundry doesn't get done, i don't want to have to worry about it, IYKWIM..... (it's in the basement and there are a lot of stairs). what are you planning to have on hand for those first two or three weeks pp?
(i love talking about this!)

See less See more
#4 ·
Ummm....this is jmho, but I think you're GREATLY underestimating how messy newborns are. There is usually breastmilk, spit up, pee or poop coming out of them every 15 minutes! ESPECIALLY if you don't want to be doing laundry.

TWO going out outfits probably isn't enough for ONE outing! (I'm just going to reference my OWN kids here, you just never know, yk?) I would put one ON baby and probably 2 in the diaper bag - AND an extra 'presentable' onesie, just in case. At least a dozen pair of socks. They are constantly falling off their feet, and I can never find where the 'lost' one has gone! (or, find some itty bitty robeez type shoe that keeps their socks on) (this of course, depends on the weather - late september or early september and even in early sept, with the air on, yk?)

I think 6 gowns is great, but you might want another 4ish footed lightweight sleepers. You also probably want 1 or 2 of those fleece sleepsacks - the weather can turn on a dime around here at that time of year, yk? I'd say you want a dozen teeshirts - whether they're onsies or just tees.....(6 around the house MIGHT last me 2 or 3 days, yk?)

1 or 2 hats is plenty - you probably want at least 4 blankets - they're just nice to have all over the place, yk? and again, they get spit up on or pooped on, used for a burp cloth in a pinch, etc.

Also - you probably want one waterproof changing pad or something similar. (for changing diapers on the bed or floor or wherever.....they're thin like a sheet, but PUL or something - they're great!) You can just use a towel in a pinch, but they're nice to have around. (I suppose with the diaper service you could just use an extra for that though - same thing goes with burp cloths)

Maybe one hoodie? That's about all i can think of. hth!

#7 ·
Yeah, you need WAY more onesies or whatever babe will be hanging out in at home. It was not uncommon for me to go through 3 or 4 a day. I also went through receiving blankets the same way. I had at least 10 of those if I'm remembering correctly.

#8 ·
I agree -- more onesies and gowns! My son spit up so much and leaked poop every chance he got, SEVERAL times a day. This time around, I plan to focus less on "outfits" and more on gowns and sleepers. The outfits get so much better when they grow and aren't so scrunched up all the time!

#9 ·
WEll speaking from experince of having 3 kids....
I would have 4-5 going out outfits just simplie cotton rompers type things I hate when people dress newborns up in jeans and stuff how uncomfortable for baby

20 onsies

10 shirts

and of course all the CD stuff

but this would ge me through 1 week if I was only taking baby out 1 or 2 times otherwise more or less goping out outfits

newborns can be very messy

#10 ·
Quote:
There is usually breastmilk, spit up, pee or poop coming out of them every 15 minutes! ESPECIALLY if you don't want to be doing laundry.
wow! i am so glad i asked about this. i had no idea.
thanks mamas!!! basically i need to double what i planned then? so let us call it an even two weeks, you think i'll need atleast two-ish "outfits" (sleepers, gowns, t-shirts and soakers) per day plus maybe a few extra just in case? and then 4-5 going out sets?

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
pft- Rockdoctor, you're feeling confident, aren't you? :ll
You know it! I have no idea what I am doing, so I might as well be chilling while I am screwing it all up! Good News... my DH can do laundry!

#12 ·
Oh yeah, you need more than you think! Breastmilk poop tends to be rather explosive, so even though it's small amounts, if baby is sitting or laying even a little crooked, it'll squirt right out the sides of that diaper!
I always carried at least two spare onesies or sleeper-type outfits with me when going out, and we go out often (I get stir crazy, so even just a trip to a coffee shop or to walk the mall to work on that baby weight is something I'll do almost daily) I don't like t-shirts on babies at all, they scrunch up and are annoying, I like onesies and sleepers. In fact, sleepers are so cute now, they work as outfits, so if you have nothing but a dozen sleepers, you can rotate through them and be just fine!

You're going to want some laundry to be done...poop stains set in quick, and remember you'll be bleeding, so if you leak on your clothes, you're going to want to clean them quickly. I always made sure to get the laundry washed and dried right away, but the folding and putting away is optional in those first weeks! We both (baby and I) live out of the laundry basket for a while!

Unless you have one of the very rare babies with extremely sensitive skin, there's no reason to wash clothes separately. Newborn clothes are so small, if you waited until you could fill a load so you can use the (majorly overpriced) baby detergent to wash them, baby would run out of clothes! So I never bother...baby clothes get thrown in with anything of a similar color.

And remember that unless there's a blow out or spit up, baby clothes are not necessarily dirty jsut because baby wore the outfit one day. They're not dirty! They don't sweat, they're not down on the ground...so if your baby makes it through a day or night and the outfit is mostly clean, stack it on the changing table to wear the next night. Save you a little laundry time that way
My kids could wear their jammies a few nights in a row usually, until there was a blow out at least!

#13 ·
i have no idea either (like you october) so this is great.

i planned on getting like, 20 onesies for sure and a few dozen socks.

to be honest i don't see the point in spending a ton of money on these things, i have been buying lots of things thrifted. someday i will take a pic of everything i have.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
wow! i am so glad i asked about this. i had no idea.
thanks mamas!!! basically i need to double what i planned then? so let us call it an even two weeks, you think i'll need atleast two-ish "outfits" (sleepers, gowns, t-shirts and soakers) per day plus maybe a few extra just in case? and then 4-5 going out sets?
I would base it on how often you want to do laundry, factoring in 2 nighties per night and 3-4 outfits per day.

We didn't really do socks for my DS, but will for this one (colder climate and birth month).

#15 ·
I'm planning on at least a dozen gowns, because I prefer them to onesies or footie pajamas. Probably more than that. A bunch of onesies too because it will still be quite warm here when baby is born. A TON of little bitty socks. A bunch of recieving blankets. And probably quite a few bibs, both of my other babies spit-up a lot despite being exclusively breast-fed.

We are planning on bringing 2 "going home" outfits and a couple of gowns to the hospital.

#16 ·
someone told me onesies aren't good for NBs until the cord stump falls off, would you mamas agree? i want to be able to use my cute CD covers, for those that CD do you just snap the onesie under the cover? seems like it'd be too bulky with all that. but again i don't know anything.
yet.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
You're going to want some laundry to be done...poop stains set in quick, and remember you'll be bleeding, so if you leak on your clothes, you're going to want to clean them quickly.

Ok I am sorry but my eyes came to a screaming halt on this piece. I am a bit clueless...I guess. Bleeding?! I guess I thought this was all going to be pretty and nice and a bit of work. Guess I have some research to do! Bleeding from tearing? or you body cleansing itself? or ummmmm yep I am at a loss didn't consider this in the least.

#18 ·
Yep, post-partum bleeding. You can get post-partum pads on Etsy.

Edit:

"Lochia is the name given to postpartum bleeding. Every woman who delivers a child, either vaginally or through cesarean section, will experience this type of bleeding. It is the way in which your body expels excess mucus, placental tissue, and blood after giving birth.

Lochia is very similar to the bleeding you experience during your menstrual period, however, it is much heavier. It typically begins in the hours immediately following birth and usually continues for two or three weeks. However, in some women lochia can last for up to six weeks."

#19 ·
Quote:

someone told me onesies aren't good for NBs until the cord stump falls off, would you mamas agree? i want to be able to use my cute CD covers, for those that CD do you just snap the onesie under the cover? seems like it'd be too bulky with all that. but again i don't know anything.
yet.
My son's umbilical stump took a full month (!!!) to fall off. I think at first I was avoiding onesies, but then it seemed like t-shirts were more irritating because they stopped right there at that spot. I can't remember, though! I was trying to wait til it fell off to start CDing, but I couldn't wait more than a few days. I tried to use diapers/covers that didn't irritate the stump. My Kissaluvs had a cutout in that area.

The CDs looked very bulky on a newborn, but OH SO CUTE!!!!!!

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Ok I am sorry but my eyes came to a screaming halt on this piece. I am a bit clueless...I guess. Bleeding?! I guess I thought this was all going to be pretty and nice and a bit of work. Guess I have some research to do! Bleeding from tearing? or you body cleansing itself? or ummmmm yep I am at a loss didn't consider this in the least.
oh this cracks me up...looks like us newbies are in for some real surprises, no matter how much we prepare.
like i said above, i didn't think i'd need that many clothes! and i guess i kinda forgot about the bleeding myself. .....well, looks like DH will have to do some laundry if there isn't anyone else. this ought to be funny, b/c he isn't domestic at all. and i don't plan on doing anything but baby for the first two weeks. he is going to be home with me waiting on me, cooking, cleaning and generally taking care of the home. it'll be good for us... i hope!

#21 ·
I'm sticking with my tried and true - dozen onesies, 6-8 sleepers, 2-4 outfits... in 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9 month sizes. my babes outgrew stuff so fast that it wasnt worth having more around until they got to the 9-12 month size and slowed down.
and with 4 other people in the house, there is always laundry to be done.

i do need to make some new mama cloth tho.

#22 ·
you guys are cracking me up - first timers - I call it "baby boot camp" It's a total bonding experience, imo - it's when we first learned how to be a parenting team, kwim?

About onesies - you put them on TOP of the covers - won't really work well with wool, fwiw..... I prefer one piece things to pants and tops with the stump too, it just irritated it, imo.... Both my kids fell off within the week, I think. I just TOTALLY left it alone. Plus, it was cold with both of them too - may have had something to do with it.

#23 ·
Quote:

yet.
This would cause the onesie to get soaked and then you'd have an uncomfortable babe. I had a lot of cute covers that were rarely seen for this reason
but I knew they were there and cute, kind of like wearing nice underwear, no one sees it but it can make you feel good LOL

Baby poop is especially explosive, you've received lots of great advice, I found I also needed to carry an extra shirt around for myself as well because of leaking breastmilk, it doesn't just dry up and become unnoticable, it leaves a nice oily stain on your shirt! There were times I wish I had extra pants because one of babe's explosive poops ended up all over me, fun hehe

Lochia for me lasts 8 weeks, but I usually don't get my period back until around 24 months postpartum so I can live with the 8 weeks as payment for the next 22 months off
Giving birth to my placenta shocked me the first time, I didn't really know what to expect and while it doesn't hurt it is bigger than I expected!

Teach your DH to do the laundry now so you are sure he knows how to use the machines, put instructions clearly on the machines, for different types of clothing (diapers etc) so that he can help you out in the first couple of weeks with no excuses
I never wash baby's clothes seperately, I am on my fifth kid, I don't have time to separate laundry. We use eco friendly unscented stuff so I am not worried about it bothering baby's sensitive skin at all and it saves me a lot of time.

I buy tons of the cheap thin receiving blankets for changing the baby on while we are out and about, I get skeeved out by the changing tables in the restrooms, if that is my only option (I usually use the stroller for changes but will often have baby in sling with no stroller) then I generously drape receiving blankets over it so nothing gross touches baby or babies belongings and throw them in the wash when we get home.

Baby nightgowns are awesome, so much easier for night changes. Onesies are what we use, I don't find they bother the umbilical cord too much but they do get some gunk on them in the first weeks while the stump is still there so don't use really nice ones unless you are going to be on top of it with stain removal or the stain doesn't bother you. I do like separates for baby (shirt and pants) because it makes changing diapers easier than unbuttoning all the way down and getting little chicken legs out of footies, but that is just a personal preference.

This got way too long, sorry. If you have your boobs, diapers and something to keep baby warm you should be good

Warmly,
Erin

#24 ·
I'm not in your DDC (I'm not even pregnant) but I wanted to add something. Remeber YOUR clothing allowance too. Personally, I always leaked through at LEAST 3 shirts/day and was constantly needing a dry one (and a dry bra) so keep a stack of oversized t-shirts for yourself handy.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post
I'm not in your DDC (I'm not even pregnant) but I wanted to add something. Remeber YOUR clothing allowance too. Personally, I always leaked through at LEAST 3 shirts/day and was constantly needing a dry one (and a dry bra) so keep a stack of oversized t-shirts for yourself handy.
And be prepared to wear your maternity pants for a while after the birth! That was a surprise to me. Also, I ended up with a c-section, and the pants I had with me had a seam right on that line. OUCH! Next time, it's going to be yoga pants, yoga pants, yoga pants!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdoctor
Vodka and a tranquilizer...I have no idea what I am doing, so I might as well be chilling while I am screwing it all up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarpop
Ok I am sorry but my eyes came to a screaming halt on this piece. I am a bit clueless...I guess. Bleeding?! I guess I thought this was all going to be pretty and nice and a bit of work. Guess I have some research to do! Bleeding from tearing? or you body cleansing itself? or ummmmm yep I am at a loss didn't consider this in the least
Crashing from November to say you guys are awesome.
The more I learn about this whole birthing a baby thing the more I wonder why anyone would want to do it more than one time. Or even one time. It's good to know I'll always have at least the two of you a couple months ahead of me, steering the "holy-crap-what-just-happened?!" boat as I cling for dear life...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.