Sleeping Position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Morning all!

Anyone else having issues getting adjusted for bed and staying adjusted? I'm a rather heavy sleeper (when my bladder or cat doesn't wake me up) so unless I'm REALLY uncomfortable will it wake me up. I've been setting up a cushion thing for my legs so I don't end up with hip pain in the morning, but I end up kicking it off the bed or moving off of it and I'll wake up all torqued out of shape.

Does anyone have any suggestions or would you be willing to share what's working for you for sleeping?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009, 03:04 PM

I will be no help here, but I am waiting to see what replies you get. I toss and turn all night. I have a belly and leg pillow, but am constantly switching sides. I get up every two hours to pee, and wake up suddenly with excruciating calf cramps. I take a cal-mag supplement for the cramps and am hoping that will continue to work, but my legs and back are so sore I can not get comfortable at nihgt. I haven't slept well since January. Now the kicking has started. I am so tired and still work 10 hour days.

K(35) : married to DH (36) : Sweet DD arrived Oct 2nd!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:04 PM

Nothing is working for me with sleeping lately. I just can't get comfy. I keep looking at my belly and it is just not that big, but it makes for a very restlesss night's sleep.

ETA: I have 2 body pillows and a wedge, but can't get comfy.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 PM

try the couch! seriously. I could only sleep on the couch for the last 2 months of my last pregnancies.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM

I got nothin- I somehow manage to get settled and passout until the early morning hours, but some days I pay for it. Like today, I am SORE.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM

No suggestions here. I went and tried out Tempur-pedic mattresses this morning. I think we're going to buy one this weekend. It's a freaky lot of money, but I cannot go through the third trimester AGAIN with aching/numb/sore hips.

ETA- DH is at the mattress store right now, paying for my new prize

http://www.tempurpedic.com/mattresse...edic/overview/

Will have it delivered next Monday. I cannot FREAKING wait. So many women have told me that their pregnancy aches/pains all vanished immediately after getting their Tempur-pedic mattress. Heck, I'd settle for less pain, never mind completely vanished pain!!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM

the couch is actually my most comfortable sleeping place at the moment! In our bed I am now using 3 pillows. One between my legs to support my hips, and two under my head. I'm sure I'll accumulate more pillows before he's born.

I'm typically a tummy sleeper when not pregnant, so it's very hard for me to get comfortable on my side. My back is comfortable enough for short periods but then I get a lower back ache.

wife to my  love.gif, mom toenergy.gif, blahblah.gif, jog.gif, and 3rdtri.gif ! a person is a person, no matter how small.

****5****10****15****20****25****30****35stork-girl.gif***40*

Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 PM

this is my night:

back, side, back, pee, other side, stomach, side, pee, back, other side, stomach....WASH RINSE REPEAT. friggin all. night. long.

also - the Tempurpedic is supposed to be my 'delivery gift'. or at least, its what i have negotiated out of my husband for doing the labor work.

only - man it would be nice to get it SOONER. i dream of it...

32 - son born 9/21/09
Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
No suggestions here. I went and tried out Tempur-pedic mattresses this morning. I think we're going to buy one this weekend. It's a freaky lot of money, but I cannot go through the third trimester AGAIN with aching/numb/sore hips.
Hopefully you're aware that this is one of the most toxic mattresses out there.

I've seen little wedge pillows with a velcro strap on it that you strap it to your leg so that when you roll over it stays with you. But really I'm with the pp - I've had a much easier time sleeping on the couch. With the back pillows right there to provide support for my leg and belly, I don't ache nearly as much. Other than that, I wake up every 2 hours and have to adjust my position. It's a PITA, but I figure I'm getting good practice.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 PM

ditto to the sleep problems! I switch from side to side all night. Chiro says to sleep in a neutral position (with pillow between knees) but that doesn't always work in practice! I woke up today with bad lower back pain so I think I must have slept some of the night in a not-so-good-for-me position!!

Luckily I have a massage tonight!

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
Old 05-14-2009, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to believe there is no miracle cure. It'd be funny if the couch worked, because before being preggers, I'd always have assorted aches in the morning if I slept on it too long. But if that's as good as it gets...

I'm so glad you ladies are here, sharing in my misery.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 PM

I use a pillow under my belly and one between my knees. It works great for me - the other thing I've done is a body pillow - that seems to work better later on I find.

Tamika
Mum to 5 wonderful gifts!!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 PM

I swear by my snoogle. I've recently started using another pillow on the open side(it's shaped like a C) and have been sleeping pretty well. I'm a tosser, but haven't been so much lately, actually. My only problem is that when I get up to pee, I sometimes have a hard time falling back asleep...although I think that's less about comfort and more anxiety about falling back asleep

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM

I am usually a right side sleeper. I've been working really hard on sleeping on my left side, but my shoulder and arm always fall asleep. (Not in a good way!) I'm mostly just given up and after my first middle-of-the-night bathroom run, I go with my right side.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM

I wake up several times in the night and whichever hip I am sleeping on, its usually throbbing in pain. If I add a pillow between the legs, it doesn't do anything for this pain. The best thing I have found so far is:
sleeping a few nights on the guest bed mattress when DH was sick. I think its a lot squishier than our normal mattress and cushions my curves better. I might make DH switch our mattresses for the next few months.
The other thing that seems to work OK is that if I am laying on my right side, I put a thinnish pillow behind my back on the left side of the bed. When I try to roll onto my back at night, I end up at an angle and my body is sort of tricked into thinking I am sleeping on my back.
At my last Dr appt, my ob/gyn said not to sleep or lie flat on my back for any length of time. It slows down blood flow to your lower body, and this can cause distress for the baby. So I am trying really hard not to sleep on my back. He told me as long as I'm not totally flat, I'm fine, so by putting a thinner pillow behind me, I'm sleeping at a 25-45 degree angle or so, and my hips don't usually ache in this position.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:09 PM

In the past, I've kind of propped my back against other pillows, with another between my legs. The big problem- every time I had to get up to pee, I had to re-arrange all the pillows when I got back in bed. By then I was wide awake

That body pillow by Boppy looks pretty neat, though- anyone tried one of those??

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
In the past, I've kind of propped my back against other pillows, with another between my legs. The big problem- every time I had to get up to pee, I had to re-arrange all the pillows when I got back in bed. By then I was wide awake

That body pillow by Boppy looks pretty neat, though- anyone tried one of those??
So true! I feel like a cat with all the manipulations I have to do before I can finally get down and cozy.

I've not heard of a Boppy pillow, hopefully someone else has used one.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:02 AM

I'm having all the same issues. My solution (which I don't recommend!) is delaying bedtime until around 1:30am...then at least the night is shorter. This is only possible when I can nap in the afternoon, on the couch (which is terrifically uncomfortable, but, at least I get some sleep then). Ugh! I found propping a flat pillow under my belly, one between my legs, and one behind my hips helps sortof.... unless my heartburn is bad, in which case, I snooze propped up... I don't remember sleeping being this hard the first time 'round, at least not this early!

Oh, and my DH is kindly sleeping elsewhere, so our 4yrold and I have the queen-sized bed to ourselves (except the kid likes to sleep on top of the body pillow, which complicates things)

--Caitlyn, mom to : DS (4/05) and DD (9/09)
Old 05-15-2009, 01:06 AM

goodness!!!..yr not alone, my left hip is so sore after i will lay on it for a while..i just don't seem to understand because my right hip wont hurt as much!!!..its like someone been stabbing me in my hip with a knife!! sometimes i wake up i be so upset!!!..i am just gonna go ahead and order a pregnancy pillow or just buy more pillows to put my weight on it..lmbo!!!!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 AM

i like my pillows. this is what's been my routine since child #1 was born -- two pillows under my head, (one spare that i keep on the side of the bed and switch out with one of the two under my head periodically when i wake overnight, as i like a "cool" pillow); one pillow at my back; one pilllow (my thinnest pillow) between my knees.

also i cosleep with DD and i keep another pillow at her back -- just in case to keep her from falling out of the bed.

this works for me! i've had no hip or back or knee pain overnight.

oh, and also get a good mattress pad, if you don't have one already.

also, in case you're interested, i use a down comforter folded down over my feet -- i like warm feet. sometimes i wear socks to bed, and kick them off when my feet are good and warm. i sleep with the window open or cracked for the fresh air. if it's cool, so be it, i like my head cool, so long as my feet are nice and toasty.

this works for me! hope you all find your sleep groove soon!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 AM

I just have a regular old body pillow which I kind of hug and lay with on my left side, I put it between my knees to keep my pelvis separated so it doesn't ache and need to be cracked when I sit up (fun). I keep one pillow between my left arm and head and behind me I stack more pillows to keep me from rolling to my back or switching sides (I kind of wedge a little bit of the pillow under my back). If I do switch sides it doesn't last long because I have bursitis in my right hip so it starts to burn if I lay on that side. It's not perfect and I do occasionally wake up with missing pillows but it helps to sort of cage myself in with the pillows. I hope you find some relief we still have a ways to go!

Warmly,
Erin

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproof View Post
this is my night:

back, side, back, pee, other side, stomach, side, pee, back, other side, stomach....WASH RINSE REPEAT. friggin all. night. long.
I'm laughing "with" you not at you. I get up to pee a LOT these days.

I sleep on my back a lot which is surprising to me because I was not able to do that with my last pregnancy. And right now the baby isn't what keeps me uncomfy at night because I rarely feel it moving at night, instead it's having to go pee a dozen times a night or my 6 y o crawling in to bed with me sometimes.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

I've been trying to use a long pillow against the front of my body with a towel rolled upand wedged behind my back...last night I woke up around 4 from I'm not sure what but my hip was burning and the cat was trying to get cozy and the baby was kicking around. So much night time activity! So I readjusted... I have a new plan though. I'm thinking of putting the long pillow between my legs, (instead of parallel to my body) and I think it's too long for me to really readjust off it in my sleep.
I was just told of this long pillow that you strap into, with it on both sides of the body? My fiance's coworker was telling him that his wife found it to work really well. He's going to get me more information on that. I might just duct tape the pillows to me or the bed at night if none of my tricksies start working.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm pretty happy with a pillow between my knees and sleeping on my side--as far as positions go. For me the torture is leg cramps--had them twice now and I dread them! They wake me in the early AM with their horrible pain and then I can't properly get back to sleep. My other issue is not being able to fall back to sleep after getting up to pee, this happens every couple nights. And a few times I have been woken by aching hips too and had to stretch before I could get back to sleep. Lots o' fun. Sigh.

I have no idea how to solve these issues besides wait for the baby to be born. . .hmmm and then be awaken all night for feeding and changing. I miss sleep.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

Old 05-16-2009, 12:42 PM

i've been waking up hurting lots not just from trouble positioning, but also from the "lines" of my underwear, a wrinkle in the comforter/sheet pretty much anything. feel like the princes and the pea story sometimes now!

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

User Tag List