amniotic fluid vs discharge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I am going to go do my own research but you ladies are a wealth of knowledge so I thought I would start here.

I had an appointment on monday. I have been having tons of BH like some hours I may have 8 or more! They wake me up at night, they happen when I roll over, stand up, walk, lay down anyhow happens all the time! So I went to the MW and she did an exam, no change in the cervix...so this is good news. No UTI, and the other test to see if I will "go into labor in the next two weeks" came back negative. SO the conclusion...I have an irritable uterus, and I thought I was just irritable.

Anyhow, later that day I had more serious cramping but just three of them and I figured maybe it was from all those people poking around (also had an internal US )

Today I have a bit more "discharge" than what I normally do...so the question,how do you know the difference between discharge and amniotic fluid...how do I know if it is something to be concerned with? I don't want another US, I don't want more people poking around. Sometimes I feel like the more they do the worse they make it!

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#2 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 04:15 PM

I also have an irritable uterus, and have already spent one long evening in L&D having the exact same tests run to make sure it's "just" an irritable uterus (which I was pretty sure it was, but wanted to rule out a UTI since I've had those before) By the way, the "will you go into labor within 2 weeks test" is called FFN (Fetal Fibronectin I think is how it's spelled).

As for the discharge vs amniotic fluid, it often is very hard to distinguish. But rest assured that if it's such a small amount that you're not sure, then even if it were amniotic fluid, it would most likely be a small tear or a high tear which leaks so slowly that it causes very little issues. The biggest concern would be infection, but as long as you're otherwise healthy, then no huge worry there either (increase your VitC just to be sure). Remember the mama who has already had her little one? Her water was broken for 3 weeks, and when it broke, it was a GUSH (she said she soaked through 5 pads). How's little Zac doing, by the way, has anyone heard??

You might try wearing a pad or liner so you can capture the discharge and look at it, feel it, even smell it. That might tell you what it is.

There's also pH strips at most pharmacies that you can test the discharge on, I believe that amniotic fluid is very basic, urine is more acidic, but check that to be sure I have it right.

Make sure you increase your intake of water. First of all, it will help with the irritable uterus. But also, if you are leaking a small amount of amniotic fluid, it will help your body replenish it.

By the way, WHY did they do a vaginal ultrasound? Just to get a cervix measurement? That can be done abdominally at this stage pretty easily I thought! Weird.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately I didn't have time to study up and argue about the US, or I would have. But they said it was the only way to get an accurate measurement of the cervix. I think it was easier for her...next time I might just say no thanks. Especially now that I know it is fine and I am apparently just going to have lots of BH. The painful contractions that followed and the terror of thinking OH MY GOD now what is happening, just isn't worth them telling me I will be fine for another two weeks.

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#4 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM

Wait... someone alread had their baby?? holy moly, how did I miss that?!
I hope everything is okay!

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#5 of 5 Old 07-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
2boyzmama, I couldn't have said it better myself. One thing I can add from experience (I have an amniotic fluid leak) is that I can feel the fluid come out all the sudden. It is watery and clearish to pale yellow and has a sort of sweet smell. My discharge is tacky so I can definately tell the difference. So I second the idea of wearing a pad (no perfumes or additives or chlorine) and studying what is coming out. Is it watery or thicker and tackier? Is it odorless or sweet smelling? Does more come out if you lay down or when you roll over at night? You can buy nitrazine strips to test the ph and the directions will tell you what colors mean what. Your practitioner can probably send you home with some amniocator swabs which also do a similar thing. This will tell you for sure. In the meantime, stay very hydrated, no heavy lifting or inserting anything into your vagina, no baths, stay meticulously hygenic, and up you VitC. If the leakage should gain in amount or force, please don't hesitate to get checked out.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page