'Fess up ladies!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What have you been doing that's a pregnancy "no-no" (or at least, not advised)? Let's get it all out in the open

1. Caffeine is my friend. I was very averse to it in the first trimester, especially coffee, but now I LOVE it!!

2. I only focus on hydrating when I start contracting. Yep, I wait until my body screams at me before I start drinking water!

3. If there's ice cream in the house, I eat it right out of the carton as I lay in bed at night watching DVDs. YUM!

4. I've been meeting hubby for lunch most days, and while it's really nice to have that time to connect (without kids even!) it's not exactly healthy!! Or good for the budget!

5. I haven't been taking my prenatals. Once in a while I will, but hardly regularly.

Despite all this, my blood sugars are still fine, my blood pressure is fine, I'm not anemic, baby is obviously growing well...in fact the only potential negative impact that I know of right now is my weight gain. And even that's not too terrible, as of 29 weeks I've gained 27 pounds.

SO...fess up!!!! I'm not the only "bad girl" here, I know it!!!!!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
1. Caffeine is my friend. I was very averse to it in the first trimester, especially coffee, but now I LOVE it!! YES

3. If there's ice cream in the house, I eat it right out of the carton as I lay in bed at night watching DVDs. YUM! YES, but I try to eat from a bowl

5. I haven't been taking my prenatals. Once in a while I will, but hardly regularly. Decided to just take separate supplements since the prenatals make me sick, iron is really the only thing I am consistent with
:

In addition I was also really bad about eating out until DH and I decided that we should scale back the spending a little

I'm also letting ds watch way too much TV just so I can rest a little. Bad Mommy!

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#3 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 PM

1)I've been having the normal 2 cups of coffee I usually have every morning.

2) DH and I ate crap food for the past 3 days! (take out...) I have not had the energy or time to cook healthy meals, plus guest have been coming by the new house since today is my shower and they are in town, so it's been hard to "be prepared" with health snacks/meals to offer and eat.

3) I have an occasional glass of red wine once or twice a week. My MW said there is nothing wrong with it, and if it helps with the stress factor, then it's better than subjecting my baby to stresses every day.

4) I have been guilty of not taking it "easy enough". With the new house, and excitement of people visiting, I admit to cleaning and doing just a little too much The only thing stopping me is the pressure in my groin (at the hernia site) sometimes!

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#4 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:21 PM

coffee was never even on my "no no" list.

i havent taken any prenatals... they make me puke.

eating runny eggs... im having trouble with my appetite, and eggs are a good cheap source of protien that i need. but if i have to eat another overcooked egg im going to loose it. soft boiled or over medium eggs only.
#5 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM

1. Caffeine. Sorry, no way I can give up my Cocacola Classic
2. Not taking prenatals--last time I tried I did puke
3. I ate some Brie the other day
4. I also eat runny eggs.
5. WAY too much fast food.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#6 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:32 PM

i have one espresso a day but i don't think there is anything wrong with that at all....so not really a confession per se, but since you all listed caffeine i will too. IMO if i was having like 3 or more a day that would be a confession.

i eat lunch meat -nitrate free.

i eat soft cheeses. -again in europe i know they don't restrict these things so not really sure it's all bad.
#7 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:47 PM

Please!

Me and caffeine get along well (I couldn't have it for the first 15 weeks, like you though)

I don't take prenatals - too sick in the beginning, and when I tried to help the leg cramping, I ended up puking so I give up!

I had chinese twice and I've been eating hotdogs a handful of times - they're just SO good!

I've had a couple adult beverages as well. (like xmas, new years, and a birthday party, I think )

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#8 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM

I forget to take my prenatals

I have 1 cup of coffee a day

And a 1 or 2 beers in a week

I crave fish! It's VERY hard for me to limit it, but I am.

And this one, I'm afraid to admit to you ladies . . . I haven't gained ANY weight! I've lost 20 pounds from the day I got a BFP. Since I started out overweight anyway, and the baby is growing and VERY active, no protein or sugar in my urine, no swelling what-so-ever, my MW is not worried.

0****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****403rdtri.gif

#9 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:50 PM

I eat way too much ice cream. Some times I even go back for seconds.

I haven't been exercising nearly enough...ok, hardly at all.

I remember to take my vitamins/supplements sometimes

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#10 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 PM

I've gone out for sushi multiple times during this pg and plan on going again on Sunday.

I don't know or care to hear about the difference between hard and soft cheese.

Coffee was never on my no-no list either.

Hotdogs are bad for pg? Who knew!? (Ok, I did, I just ignore it because chili dogs are nomnomnom when I'm in the mood for one!!)

Mama to two preschool girls and one beautiful infant girl born 9/30!
#11 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 PM

i have no idea how much caffeine i consume and i dont even care. i feel great and baby is great too.

i have 1-2 glasses of wine or a beer, not everyweek but some weeks for sure. depending on my need to calm down. i went off of xanax when i got pregnant so i am lucky i got through the first and second trimesters with no help with anxiety.

most of my water consumption is during the night when i drink about 16 ounces which is the contents of the bedside water bottle. otherwise it's mostly lemonade and iced tea (which have water but also sugar)

i haven't taken prenatal vitamins since like 15 weeks. they made me really sick and constipated.

i don't listen to most of what my midwife says because i don't think she is very good. i do love the rest of the midwives at the birth center though and hiope that mine is not there when i give birth. i am super confident in what i know and my support system so i don't mind that i don't really trust the advice of my midwife.

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#12 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 01:18 PM

-I do not drink enough water.

-caffeine. I have to have a Coke every day (well 2 usually).

-I don't exercise. I just don't have the energy and haven't in quite some time.

-I probably don't eat as healthy as I should. Breakfast is okay and dinner is okay but for lunch and snacks throughout the day it's sometimes fast food, something in a can or a frozen Healthy Choice meal with bread.

-I don't take prenatal vitamins either but I ido take a Flintstones w/iron every day as well as my SlowFe daily. So I'm getting the iron but I don't know what else I'm getting.

-I over-do it physically most days. I am constantly on the go. I WAH, home school and need to have a clean house in order to not be depressed.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#13 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 01:59 PM

hmmm....

I drink coffee and caffeinated sodas.
I eat deli meats, soft cheeses, sushi, undercooked eggs, steak medium rare...
I'm not taking prenatal vitamins.

I've actually lost weight with this pg - at around 20 lbs. I'm not trying, but I'm also not forcing myself to eat when I don't feel like it... I'm happy about the weight loss, but then I feel guilty about feeling happy. KWIM? I have a very obvious belly at this point, but can still wear pretty much all of my pre-pg clothing (not that it looks right or even good).

My idea of taking it easy on the weekends is to do all the stuff that doesn't get taken care of during the week. As of right now, I have a list of 40 things to get done this weekend. I don't take it easy during the week until I'm home, then I turn into a pumpkin and do as little as possible.

I don't drink enough water by any stretch of the imagination.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#14 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM

I ate lots of brie cheese and took Aleve and Excedrin during my first trimester and just went over a month without taking my prenatal vitamins (started taking them again after my midwife told me I'm anemic, though!).

I lay on my right side and on my back.

I sat in a hot tub (I sat on the step so the water only barely touched my belly).

Edit - I haven't been exercising. I was walking too and from work every day but after discovering how maniacal Salt Lake City drivers are and nearly getting hit almost every single day while trying to cross the street, I gave it up. I've been going on bike rides on the weekend and went on a walk on Tuesday and again today but I bought a prenatal workout DVD and have not worked out along to it once. It's been sooo hot lately so it's hard to want to do anything but once I'm done at work I'm going to start going on walks in the morning before it gets too hot.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#15 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 03:27 PM

1. i eat way too much ice cream and other sweets ( i had cinnabon for the first time in over 3 years on monday, and ate 1.5 of them- the big ones!)

2. i rarely remember my prenatal vits (once or twice a week maybe)

3. i've been doing laundry. not as much as usual, and it isn't usually a pregnancy no-no, but it is a strict bedrest no-no. sorry- i have to have clean undies etc! i really need to get the dozen ipf washed that we bought last week to get them prepped and fluffy....

4. along the same line as #3, i'm <<<this close>>> to giving in to nesting instincts and cleaning/scrubbing stuff- which would seriously be a no-no right now

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#16 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 03:51 PM

i saw this in October - thought it was cute.

okay..hmm..

i eat deli meat all the time (have since the beginning) - otherwise id hardly get any protein in.

i always sip my husbands beer. i have had a half glass of wine here and there - and intend to give myself even more leeway on this one in the coming weeks. as in, maybe just go for a full beer, or a full glass of wine once a week.

thats about it. i got off the caffeine easily by switching to decaf. dont mind the change at all. i have a decaf iced vanilla latte from SB EVERY FRIGGIN DAY.

i only take crack on special occasions. just kidding.

32 - son born 9/21/09
#17 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 04:07 PM

Well, when I didn't know I was pregnant I had been drinking wine coolers and beers. Not too often but it was occasional, I would say Jan-May. I even had a rum and coke.

I had been smoking the entire pregnancy.

I had gotten a tattoo(Apparently you're not supposed to get tat's when pg?).

I drank a lot of caffeine. Way more than I should have.

I was lifting stuff, and wrestling with DH around the house(not safe?).

Hmm... not sure what else but I'm pretty sure I did some more things I'm not aware of that you're not supposed to be when pg. My baby must be a trooper or something.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#18 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 04:09 PM

Oh mama's, it's so good to see a thread like this

I, too, am guilty of not drinking enough water. I'm just so sick of the darn stuff!

I also eat way too much ice cream. And frozen fruit. And Freezies.

I have also indulged in slushies a few times (*gasp* the sugar! the artificial flavours and colours!) Baby likes that, it gets her moving

I was really bad about my prenatals, until I stuck the bottle next to my microwave so I usually see it at some point during the day...

I haven't been active enough. I try to get out for long walks with DS each day, but lately that either sets off painful BH or has me up half the night with SPD pain. So some days we just stay in and play, or visit my mom across the street. But I hate being a housebound bum

I nap when DS naps. Sometimes for 2 hours a day.

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#19 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 05:17 PM

i will post for my partner b/c she is the one who is pregnant.

- she still bikes everywhere and today i rode on the back of her bike when i got a flat tire
- she eats a ton of ice cream and never liked it before
- she sometimes indulges in caffeinated drinks and has has a little wine/beer
- she went in the steam room with me a long time ago, probably only 3mo preg.

can't wait till we have our babies!
#20 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Food. All I eat is junk. Well, 90% of what I eat is junk. That's not a new thing, I always eat that way Very rarely eat any veggies, fruit pretty often, but mostly carbs and fat and white sugar. Oh, pizza and fast food. I figure that my other 3 were perfectly healthy, full-term babies and this one will be fine with my awful diet, too. Ice cream every single day. Multiple times, usually- but hey, it's calcium, right! I've always been good about taking prenatals, too. If I ate healthier, I wouldn't bother. Good news is that I've only gained 22lbs at 29.5wks.

I do drink one caffeinated drink per day- either an iced tea or Coke. But I don't drink any during the first tri when cardiac development occurs.

And I NEVER drink enough water. When I start having ctx that take terb to stop them, then I pay attention to hydration

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#21 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 05:30 PM

I must confess. . .I've been really "good" and following the rules

I can't help it, I've always been a rule follower. . .I even drive the speed limit. But I have had a sip of my DHs wine, beer, or margarita here or there.

And I do eat a lot of ice cream.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#22 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First-Time-Mommy View Post

I was lifting stuff, and wrestling with DH around the house(not safe?).
lifting isn't a no-no in a normal pregnancy, neither is some playing around

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#23 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
I must confess. . .I've been really "good" and following the rules

I can't help it, I've always been a rule follower. . .I even drive the speed limit. But I have had a sip of my DHs wine, beer, or margarita here or there.

And I do eat a lot of ice cream.

if i had a few extra bucks, ddddc= "goody 2 shoes"

#24 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03 View Post
lifting isn't a no-no in a normal pregnancy, neither is some playing around
Phew, well that does make me feel better.

he's here; kaine (11/9/09)
#25 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 06:42 PM

hmmmm..

I've been eating way too much chocolate.. and I enjoy decaf tea or coffee just about everyday.
I've eaten pure crap - doughnuts, doritos, cheetos, etc
In the first trimester I had to have at least one scoop of ice cream every single day!
I've eaten plenty of soft serve, I just found out this was a "no-no" though -- but it hasn't stopped me.

(otherwise I'm a big rule follower -- I try to eat at least one salad a day, lots of milk and protein, I haven't taken any type of medicine, no alcohol, I take my multivitamin every single day, and try to force myself to drink enough water)
#26 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 PM

i have to add that i was really good my frist two trimesters, i drank decaf only and decaf soda with real sugar not high fructose corn syrup.

if i had more energy i would still be overdoing it working around the house wise, but believe me, if you could see my house right now, you could definitely tell that dh is now in charge of cleaning

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#27 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM

You guys are making me feel soooo much better. I was just thinking to myself yesterday that I felt like I had failed, that if anything was wrong in the end then maybe I wasn't strict enough. I swear by moderation and I know there is differeing research on everything, I also think about other cultures and what they do...but here they are so strict!

1) I don't exercise, unless I am walking to my car or to the fridge
2) I enjoy wine, 1/2 a glass a week, it isn't about having a buzz, because I don't but I really love the taste of wine!
3) I eat way tooo many carbs, empty carbs
4) I have caffeine several times a week
5) Could drink more water

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#28 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 08:22 PM

1. Some sort of caffeine every day (I do limit myself to one- whether it be a coffee, sweet tea, etc.)
2. The occasional glass of wine or beer and frequent *sips* stolen from my husband
3. I eat at Subway. My appetite still sucks and I have a lot of food aversions, and many times the only thing that sounds good at all is a sub.
4. I take a hot bath once or twice a week. I have done this the entire time. And I don't mean warm, I mean hot....but I don't stay in too long.
5. I sometimes push myself too hard on the treadmill. When I'm running, and I know I have 2 3/4 miles down and I have like 1/4 mile left, I just want to finish it quickly!
6. I sleep on my back some nights. I really try to sleep on my side, but sometimes it's impossible.
7. Oh, and I have snuck some sushi in there somewhere, too.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#29 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproof View Post

i always sip my husbands beer. i have had a half glass of wine here and there - and intend to give myself even more leeway on this one in the coming weeks. as in, maybe just go for a full beer, or a full glass of wine once a week.
I always have a sip or two of my DH's beer, too. I plan on some red wine for myself very very soon.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#30 of 45 Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post
but believe me, if you could see my house right now, you could definitely tell that dh is now in charge of cleaning
I know how that works all too well. I try not to let it bug me, but I would kill for some energy to do it all properly. :P

Now, my 'confessions'

1. Medical appts- I refuse, adamantly, to do the 'let's go once every week' thing. Yeah, been there, done that- more intervention than I wanted. Medical care is all on my terms this time.

2. caffiene, yep I like my morning coffee. I just can't stand the smell of it brewing, so I go to my parents for a quick cup before work. :P

3. Ice cream- I've never had such a stereotypical craving during a pregnancy before, but my freezer is FULL of various forms of ice cream. Mmm.

4. Lunch meat- occasionally.

5. Wine- last week I had a half a glass- and I liked it. I'll probably have some around as the pregnancy progresses- I found out that with my daughter, a glass of red wine before bed on a night I couldn't sleep made a HUGE difference. My midwife suggested it, and though I thought she was nuts, it worked. Further reflection has led me to see that this country's 'omg no alcohol!!!' thing is insane, and completely unnecessary.

6. Take it easy? I have two jobs, and two other kids, how is that supposed to happen, exactly?

7. Prenatals? Never have been able to stomach the things. I make sure to eat a variety of foods, and starting this week I'll begin supplementing more with iron as labor and delivery are coming closer and I'm beginning to feel the effects of anemia.

8. Tums- they make me a happy woman. I can't stand the heartburn otherwise.

9. Water, I don't drink enough until I feel myself becoming dehydrated. Nothing like waiting until it's way past too late... I try, but it just doesn't happen. I also used to drink a lot of water overnight, but I've stopped putting it beside the bed as I know I'll drink it, and I hate having to get up to pee.

10. Strenuous work? Lifting? Normal life- still happening, and they will unless something goes wrong and there' a reason for me to stop feeling functional.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page