Size of Baby - Fundal Height - Baby Position - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tend to have big babies. I've delivered five, ranging from 8.13-9.7. I was hoping this little lady would be smaller. You know.. oh, seven pounds?! LOL!

Anyways, today I am 33w4d and at my appointment, I measured 37w. Baby is NOT engaged yet, and is actually settled right near my hip. Do you think once she engages, my measurements will be more on track?

The ob is talking about getting a weight scan done in a few weeks.. I'm not so worried, I know I can deliver big babies.

I was.. just.. hoping.. for.. a teenysnugglebug. H aha!

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Oh wow - for a moment I wondered if I wrote this post earlier today and forgot about it! I'm in *exactly* the same position, the only difference being that I've only delivered three in the same weight range. I've also been measuring a whole month ahead for my last three appointments, had to get an ultrasound, and they estimated another 9 pounder. DH and I keep joking that if we ever got a 6 or 7 pounder, we wouldn't even know how to hold it for fear of breaking the tiny little babe! But oh...to dream!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

I know! Like.. to wear newborn diapers for longer than a week.. oh, the teeniness!

I know its wishful thinking, but can you just imagine!?

I guess maybe if we went into labor tonight we could have six pounders. LOL!!!

-Tangy
Mama to Jon (14), Josh (12), Jack (5), Jamison (3), and Jocelyn (9 months)
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 AM

You girls are funny. I'm a a little baby maker, and it's much scarier on the flip side - I don't know HOW much worse it would be to deliver a 9 lber instead of my little 7lbers, yk? It's one of my nightmares - bought, washed and dried all kinds of newborn stuff....and watch, I'll go post due and have a ginormous baby!!!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 AM

Wow! It looks like a lot of us are thinking the same things! I also have large babies. My last was 9lbs 12 oz. I thought that was big, then my SIL had an 11lb. 10 oz., so I guess I can't complain too much. In comparison, mine are small!!

On the other hand, one of my first few thoughts after finding out this was a girl was the hope that it wouldn't be bigger than my last (who is a boy). Once they are out, I love having big babies...it's just those last few weeks of the pregnancy that I really am not looking forward to.

Mom to ds (7/02), dd(2/04), ds (9/07), and dd 9/09
Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM

I just wanted to say "be careful what you wish for"

My first was nearly 9.5 pounds a full two weeks early, and his weight just kept going up after birth (lots of mama milk!) So I was saying all through my second pregnancy that I wanted a small baby for once!

My second was born at 8.5 pounds, also in my 38th week, so he was smaller, but not a nice 7 pounder either.

HOWEVER, he didn't gain. It took him 4 weeks to get back to birth weight, then his rate of gain was so painfully slow. He was born missing a chromosome, and small stature/low weight are common in his syndrome. So although he was normal birth weight (maybe even slightly LGA), he now is a 22 pound 2.5 year old. I was constantly frazzled, scared, being harped on by drs, constantly fighting to avoid a feeding tube, constantly worried about whether he'd make it through his next surgery or illness since he had such little reserves. He's the size of a 9-12 month old right now!!!

While what happened to him is *very* unlikely to happen to you, I won't ever "wish" for a small baby again ! I will, however, wish for an easy delivery, and that can in part be helped by a smaller baby

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)

User Tag List