What position(s) are you sleeping in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've noticed the past few nights that because lil man's LOT, sleeping on my right just hurts too much. Gravity pushing his feet down so they're poking on me all night. And I can't sleep on my back because I have a 24/7 mild cramp so I have to be curled up. Which leaves on my left side... and I dunno about you, but I can't sleep on the same side ALL night long. Everything else starts to hurt!?! :-) Seems to only work when I'm wrapped around the body pillow and DP is wrapped around me support me from the back.

What are you experiencing?

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm like a rotisserie, going around and around all night. Baby kicks me a lot if I lay on my right side though.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM

i too turn from right to left and back and forth all night. the weight on one hip for too long is really painful so i have to get up and walk until it doesn't hurt (usually it means going to the bathroom) also turning is extremely painful because of my pinched nerve. i use that pain to practice my breathing for labor

SAHM to Coraline Mae, born 09/16/09. Expecting #2 10/04!
mdcblog5.gifsigncirc1.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

Vice President of Boston Babywearers

#4 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosergirl View Post
i use that pain to practice my breathing for labor
Good idea Doser!! Way to "put it to use"!!

I am lucky that I am normally a side sleeper any way, so I have been sleeping on my side all along. Since the hernia made it's appearance on the right side of my groin area I have been favoring the left, which is the side that I think we are "supposed to" sleep on anyway. Add the VV also on the right side, and yeah the left it is.

I have been waking up with stiff neck and shoulders though, too much of one side!

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#5 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
I'm like a rotisserie, going around and around all night.
Ha! Exactly this.

In my pre-pregnancy life, I more or less always slept on my left side. Now there's just no position that's comfortable for very long, so I take what I can get as I can get it!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#6 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I flip flop from right to left all night, with the occasional back lying because both hips are too sore to get comfortable. Gosh, I feel so guilty on my back, but other wise I have to get up and walk or sit for a while. I do a bit of both lately.

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#7 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 PM

Side to side flipping for me. I try to stick to the left side especially since this guy is usually hanging out on the right and I am trying to encourage him to be on the left. But I can't lay on one side all night without my hips hurting like crazy and a stiff shoulder.

The hips are the worst for me, they hurt no matter how much I flip-flop and I really need to back sleep to relieve them. I was doing some back sleeping up until maybe a month or a few weeks ago and now I feel like my belly has gotten too heavy and I can't lay on my back without worrying about it.

So side sleeping with many, many pillows--the one between my knees is absolutely essential. And I often have to walk around a bit at night (when I get up to pee) to help my hip ache.

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#8 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 PM

I keep flipping side-to-side, but I'm definitely most comfortable on my right side, and I end up there more often. I should be on my left, because baby is definitely all on my right side (my left upper quadrant is literally empty, there's no part of the baby there at all, and hasn't been for weeks! My left upper quadrant, on the other hand, has been abused quite a bit and could use a break!) But try as I might, I just can't stay on my left side for long. Weird.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#9 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 PM

I am mostly on my left side, I have bursitis in my right hip so laying on that side for any period of time is uncomfortable. When I do need a break from my left it takes me a while to switch sides, I have pelvic separation so keeping my knees together while getting enough momentum to roll is laughable!! My back is starting to ache a LOT too!! UGH I do love being pg, really

Erin

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
#10 of 23 Old 08-10-2009, 11:32 PM

I move around a lot throughout the night but I mostly sleep on my sides. I wake up a lot on my back. The only way I absolutely can "not" sleep of course is on my stomach but I never did that much when not pregnant. My favorite position is on my right side though. It's the most comfy.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#11 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'm like a rotisserie, going around and around all night.
same here. left, right, left, right left.
#12 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 AM

I switch sides every time I get up to pee.. which is like once an hour at this point.
#13 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I switch sides every time I get up to pee.. which is like once an hour at this point.
This. Except I can go two hours between getting up to use the bathroom. Jealous, aren't you?

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#14 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 12:58 AM

sleep, what's that?

I'm all over too. I can't WAIT to be able to sleep flat on my back or mostly on my stomach. Ahhhh, the joys of not being pregnant

I have pillows EVERYWHERE (on either side of me, under where my knees go, under my neck and shoulders and then a flat one I use on TOP of the shoulders one for my head). Basically, I'm sleeping in a nest of pillows with a little hole that I stick one hip into at any given time.

I take turns on both sides - but my left hip was hurting in a strange non-pressure related way last night, I don't know WHAT was up with that, but hope I don't have a repeat. I also end up on my back - although I justify that I'm not REALLY on my back, because one hip is sunk into that hole at all times - when I'm truely flat, I can't breathe, yk?

Sucks - but apparently I should be grateful that I'm going 2 to 3 hours between needing to pee? It's SO hard to get up and walk there though - my hips are in BAD shape by 2am!!! totally stiff, my back too.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#15 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 AM

Hip pain here, too. I fall asleep propped up on pillows against the wall, almost sitting up completely, then try for a side, then pee, then try the other side, then fail at that, then sit up again, then pee, then try side #2, which works until I have to pee or the hip pain gest too intense, then feel sorry for myself, then grumble, then try the other side....all from 1am (when I finally am sleepy) until 4am (when my body finally forces me to sleep, which I do until around 7am). So unfun.

--Caitlyn, mom to : DS (4/05) and DD (9/09)
#16 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 AM

I also go from side to side. I have a body pillow and try to lay as far forward as a I can, propping my belly with the pillow and that seems to help.

My hips are still sore, though. I should change my Sleep Number tonight and see if that helps. I'm only a 35 as it is, can't go much lower!

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#17 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 04:42 AM

I sleep on the couch and switch sides every time I get up to use the bathroom (every 1 - 1 1/2 hours). Tonight however I fell asleep in my computer chair and slept for a straight 2 1/2 hours and woke up with no hip pain. Maybe Ill go from the couch to the computer chair from now on lol.

Jenn, single, wahm, to Kayla Rayne born 8-18-09 and Gunnar James who was born sleeping @ 39 weeks 1/12/2011
#18 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 AM

I'm still able to sleep mostly on my left side. It is a great motivator that this baby's feet seem to be under my right ribs, so flipping to the right becomes uncomfortable quite quickly. I do put an extra pillow between my knees and that makes side sleeping much more comfortable to me.

I have to say that this is the first time at this stage in pregnancy that I have been so comfortable sleeping. I really think it is the fact that I listen to my hypnobabies tracks right before bed. I'm not usually one to buy into things like that easily, but I do think it helps relax me before I go to sleep.

Mom to ds (7/02), dd(2/04), ds (9/07), and dd 9/09
#19 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM

whatever position I'm in when my body hits the bed... seriously, I do turn over, but have woken up on either side, tummy down or on my back.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#20 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I'm like a rotisserie, going around and around all night. Baby kicks me a lot if I lay on my right side though.
HAHA - the rotisserie image is perfect. That's exactly what I do and it drives my husband crazy. I'm flip around and around all night.
#21 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Left side with a very thin bamboo pillow between my legs. Ac set to 73 so I do't have to wear a sheet or blanket ( I do not want to get tangled up in anything + Practicing newborn/infant cosleeping). Ah, sleeping perfection.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#22 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 AM

OMG! I decided to count how many times I woke up last night - and wouldn't you know??? I slept from 11pm until 4am straight through!!!!! I laid there unable to fall back into a real sleep until sometime after 5am, but then I slept until 7:15. HEAVEN!!!!! I feel so much better today, it was hard to get out of bed I was sleeping so hard.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#23 of 23 Old 08-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
Side to side flipping for me. I try to stick to the left side especially since this guy is usually hanging out on the right and I am trying to encourage him to be on the left. But I can't lay on one side all night without my hips hurting like crazy and a stiff shoulder.
This is me too. Except without the hip pain. Haven't gotten that yet. Although last night (and a few nights ago) I have been getting the strangest left pelvic pain - it almost feels like a pulled groin muscle?? but its more like bone on bone pain. and its strange. goes away eventually. when i feel down where the pain is - i don't feel a head or body part which is what i would expect would be causing the pain.

I still am also not sure that I am feeling cervical pokes or bladder pokes. what does the cervical prodding feel like to you all?? do the two feel similar? whatever it is - its not painful really - just sort of makes me stop in my tracks a bit - its a weird pressure sensation. my friend described it as 'scraping' - i don't get that.

I go from side to side mainly...but i can def. feel him more when im on my right side - so that doesn't last long.

i probably pee at least 6 times every night. id say every 2hrs.

32 - son born 9/21/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page