Newborn and Post Partum Essentials - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we've discussed this already, but can we revisit. I'd like to hear what everyones 'must haves' are.

IE what products/formulas do you plan to use for:

Vaginal healing/tears etc
Hemmoroid treatment
Nipple Carnage
Herbal Supplements for recovery (ie arnica etc..)

Baby wipe solutions

anddddddddddd...i haven't sorted out the babys laundry basket or diaper bag. i assume most of an infants clothes are going to be soiled too - so shouldnt they go in a similar wetbag as the dipes do??? what are you all using as a clothes hamper - and as diaper disposal (for cloth). Or do you use one for everything?

i really like the 'wet happened' bags - but they have no drawstring or larger bags. they seem better for travel. what is your ideal system?? is the drawstring liner with the Target garbage foot pedal deal, the best way to go?

32 - son born 9/21/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 PM

everyone is different here's me....
momma's recovery: honey on a tear, after ease for pain, ice pack on the vagina as needed, witch hazel (circle pads) for hemmoroid, witch hazel pads, herbal sitz, tons of snacks (up every hour and starving), nipples warm compress to get em started, cold compress to sooth em after a feeding, lanoline as needed

baby: olive oil on the bum to help get mechonium off, stretchy blankets for swaddling, noise maker (white noise) to cut out household noise, cord care supplies (I lotus), for cloth wipes I have a spray bottle of water and spray the wipe to moisten, for my dips and wipes go together in the pail (with a lid), clothes go together as they get washed differently - I have almost 4 kids which equals ongoing laundry marathon!!

I would say do whatever is easiest, you'll be so sleep deprived at first you won't care about laundry and in a couple months you'll iron out any kinks in your system! if there are clothes that you really love and want to keep looking nice a little oxyclean in hot water soaked for a while works great!!!! (do not do this to your diapers)

I'm sure I missed a bunch but this is a start!!

good luck!

: wife to DH, mom to DD (2004) DS (2005) DS (2007) DS (2009)

Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenproof View Post
I know we've discussed this already, but can we revisit. I'd like to hear what everyones 'must haves' are.

IE what products/formulas do you plan to use for:

Vaginal healing/tears etc
Hemmoroid treatment
Nipple Carnage
Herbal Supplements for recovery (ie arnica etc..)

Baby wipe solutions

anddddddddddd...i haven't sorted out the babys laundry basket or diaper bag. i assume most of an infants clothes are going to be soiled too - so shouldnt they go in a similar wetbag as the dipes do??? what are you all using as a clothes hamper - and as diaper disposal (for cloth). Or do you use one for everything?

i really like the 'wet happened' bags - but they have no drawstring or larger bags. they seem better for travel. what is your ideal system?? is the drawstring liner with the Target garbage foot pedal deal, the best way to go?
For our hamper at home, we're using the basic wet bags from Kelly's Closet- they have draw strings. They're here. We're using them with a regular old kitchen garbage can I bought at Target with a push-button top.

For our diaper bag and for day care, we're using the Planet Wise wet bags. They have zippers and got really good reviews for sealing well. They have cute patterns, too. They're here.

For baby wipes, we're putting my cloth wipes in a warmer with a solution made with Baby Bum drops.

And for both my peri-bottle and sitz bath I'm using a tea made with:

1/4 cup sea salt
1 oz. uva ursi
1-2 oz. comfrey
1 oz. shepherd's purse
1 bulb fresh garlic

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-30-2009, 12:52 AM

I just use warm water for wipes - I use cool water in the peri bottle for my 'yaknow' - and I REALLY dig my lillipadz for the boobies. I actually had to stop wearing them all the time bc the girls needed a little air - and NOW they're all dried out, they were in much better shape (but maybe a little too moist) when I was wearing the padz all the time. I swear - they were/are GREAT!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
I just use warm water for wipes - I use cool water in the peri bottle for my 'yaknow' - and I REALLY dig my lillipadz for the boobies. I actually had to stop wearing them all the time bc the girls needed a little air - and NOW they're all dried out, they were in much better shape (but maybe a little too moist) when I was wearing the padz all the time. I swear - they were/are GREAT!
That's good to hear. I just bought my first pair of lilipadz and was hoping they were worth the money!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 08-30-2009, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Vaginal healing: frozen pads!!!! I have 12 frozen pads in my freezer right now. I dipped them in my sitz bath tea and froze them. These are a must have. Also, air out as much as you can to prevent infection.

Hemmoroids: Tucks Pads or other witch hazel pads

Nipple carnage: Talk to an LC or LLL Leader ASAP!!! If you're nipples are more than mildly sore, something is not right. Your nipples should not crack and bleed. Breastfeeding should not hurt. If you do end up with sore nipples, you can put expressed milk, Lansinoh Lanolin, Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter, or Motherlove Nipple Cream on them. Really, you shouldn't need anything. If you are taking antibiotics in labor, be on the look out for thrush. Those products can make thrush worse.

Baby wipes: I put baby wash clothes in a wipes warmer in water with maybe a little tea tree oil or Dr. Bronner's unscented soap. Plain water is fine, though. Change the water daily.

Laundry: I bought 2 hanging pail wetbags from thegoodmama.com over 2 years ago and they are still in excellent condition. They get washed with the dipes. Ds still wears a dipe at night so I wash every 3 days - each wetbag gets washed once a week. http://shop.thegoodmama.com/category_s/119.htm. My rule is anything with poop or pee (or spit up) on it goes into the wet bag. Everything else goes together. I wash in unscented laundry detergent.

User Tag List