Bleeding after Membranes Swept - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the OB today and caved and let her sweep me. We are all healthy right now and she said I was 2-3 cm dilated and that it might stir up some nice contractions. When she did it, there was blood on the glove and she said it's normal, btu ran an NST and baby looked great. Ever since, I have had some blood... gooey and thick mostly, some right red. She said to call if it's like a period and is more than spotting. Well, when I am sitting around, it slows down and when I am on my feet it picks up again. Not gushing or even dripping, but it's more. Bleeding makes me nervous! I should have declined the sweep, but I didn't. I don't know if I should lay around to let the bleeding stop or be up and moving to encourage contractions and get done what I need to accomplish today.

Anyone know anything about this?

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#2 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 01:55 PM

I think it's pretty normal to bleed after a sweep. Your cervix is very ripe, there's lots of blood in that area, so the slightest irritation can cause it to bleed. That's why "bloody show" is a sign of labor. It might look like more because of mucous being mixed in, too.

I wouldn't worry unless it's an actual flow.

But, I've also never had a membrane sweep...

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 PM

I was just looking this up yesterday, as my doctor and I had discussed possibly doing a membrane sweep at my afternoon appointment. And actually, I was just coming to look for threads on bloody show to try and figure out if that's what's happening with me today (post yesterday's sweep :P) or not, because I'm also getting a really gooey, kinda gushy blood-tinged discharge.

What I found from reading yesterday is that it is TOTALLY normal to bleed some after membrane stripping/sweeping. There haven't been a whole lot of scientific studies done on sweeping, but all of them have indicated that almost everyone who has a sweep bleeds and feels a significant amount of discomfort and/or pain.

Personally, I would probably go ahead and call your provider if you're worried about it. That's what you pay her for, right?

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#4 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

My gut says all is well, and it's just spotting now, so I think I'll ride itout a bit more. This is well within what she described as normal. It didn't hurt at all when she did it, which I read is a sign that your body is ready. They don't sweep routinely, only when things are looking like you are getting closer and only if you want them to. I trust my doctor, so I am going to rest in that.

I ended up taking a nap, and I plan to do the dishes and see what happens. I just wonder if it is normal to bleed when you are in labor because I never did with my daughter until I guess when she was crowning.

#5 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkksmom View Post
My gut says all is well, and it's just spotting now, so I think I'll ride itout a bit more. This is well within what she described as normal. It didn't hurt at all when she did it, which I read is a sign that your body is ready. They don't sweep routinely, only when things are looking like you are getting closer and only if you want them to. I trust my doctor, so I am going to rest in that.

I ended up taking a nap, and I plan to do the dishes and see what happens. I just wonder if it is normal to bleed when you are in labor because I never did with my daughter until I guess when she was crowning.
Yes, some slight bleeding is normal, particularly in early labor. Your cervix is very vascular, so as it begins to dilate, some of those capilaries could burst and you could bleed. Hence "bloody show". A large amount of blood is never normal, but some mucousy blood is.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#6 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

This is pretty dark, but the doctor saw it and said it was normal. Baby is moving OK, but I am still bleeding. Regretting letting her sweep me, though. I think they feel I am very close to labor. I am finding stories where this is pretty common on google searches. It's more when I am active and slows when I rest. They have evening hours tonight, so I think I will call and check in again this evening if I am feeling the slightest bit off.

#7 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 PM

My sister had light "period" like bleeding 2 days before her water broke.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#8 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just talked to my fried, and she had even more bleeding when she was in labor, so I feel better. Well, that and it slowed down to just a little pink spotting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page