C-section Recovery questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,
I'm recovering from a c-sect... It's been 6 days, and I have some swelling in my feet and legs still. I also have this swelling below my incision in the upper vaginal area... Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this before? Nothing is red or painful... So I doubted an infection... But I don't like the swelling being in that area...

Also, I still haven't gone poop... I guess I should do something to get things moving along... Just not sure of what approach I should take... Maybe a suppository? Idk... Ideas?

Thanks
#2 of 9 Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 PM

It's been awhile, but one thing I remember clearly is it taking weeks for my swelling to go away. I think it is from the IV fluids they give you. I had terrible carpal tunnel with DS1, and it didn't go away for, like I said, weeks afterward!

I would definitely start a stool softener asap if you aren't on one. That first BM especially is going to be challenging. It takes awhile for everything to start moving smoothly again. Up your fiber, drink lots of water, etc.

I'm so sorry! It will get better!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#3 of 9 Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 PM

I agree with the stool softener, fiber and water recommendations. When in doubt about swelling issues, I would call the doc - better to let them know that you have concerns and get them addressed sooner rather than later.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM

I had a c-section, almost 4 weeks ago now. I waited way to long to ask the question you are asking, 8 days later I was in pain and unable to solve the problem. I got a recommendation on a suppository as I had taken softners twice a day every day since the surgery and still nothing. The suppository made the difference. I have to say that things still aren't "normal", maybe it is normal that it isn't 20 something days later, but I am now taking metamusil to get things to continue moving, otherwise the pain from this is far worse than the pain from the actual c-section.

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
#5 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 02:42 PM

Don't know about the swelling but you should Definitely be taking a stool softener. Because of all the drugs I was on after the C/S I swear just now my poop is starting to be normal again. I was constipated for the first almost 3 weeks.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#6 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Caitlyn~ View Post
Also, I still haven't gone poop... I guess I should do something to get things moving along... Just not sure of what approach I should take... Maybe a suppository? Idk... Ideas?

Thanks
You should be taking oral ...that oily capsule, dol-something? dulculax? (something like that?)

But, 1 week after my 2nd c-section, I ended up having to go to the ER for my constipation and well, they uh....physicallly had to help me. Quite the nightmare. I think you should contact your doctor, and try everything you can (oral, enema) to see if you can avoid what happened to me.

Sorry, can't talk about it.

LOL.
#7 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 05:05 PM

stool softener is Colace. dulcolax is a laxative. HTH

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#8 of 9 Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 PM

Fleet enema worked for me recommended by my midwife

Mama to DS 4.22.07 (ana to peanuts) and DD 10.7.09
#9 of 9 Old 10-17-2009, 02:07 PM

I was told before leaving the hospital to take up to 800 mg of Ibuprofen as needed or every 4 hours for any swelling and to do that for at least 10 more days after going home. Maybe that will help. The swelling sounds normal (if it isn't oozing or bleeding) but I'd probably put a call in to the doctor just to be on the safe side.

I was given stool softeners in the hospital every 6 hours and that helped when I got home with going to the bathroom.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page