Still bleeding bright red at 2.5 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I'm a little concerned. This morn I was making breakfast and suddenly felt a "whoosh.". Went to the bathroom and I had soaked an overnight pad with bright red blood. I've been sort of steadily bleeding but this was a larger amount than usual. I asked my MW about it and she checked my uterus. She said any bleeding is normal to about 4 weeks PP but to let her know if there was another "whoosh.". Uterus was nice and low. We are about 17 days PP.

Does anyone still have this bright red blood? Am I going to live? ;-)

Mama to Maia (12/04), Nora (9/09), Sam (8/12) and Step-mama to Aidan (3/02) and Luci (10/04).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 02:09 AM

I'm almost 4 weeks PP and had this until just a few days ago. I would get big gushes that would soak a pad, bright red, and I was getting a bit concerned, too. It seems to be finally stopping. So I think it can definitely be normal and you will most likely live, LOL.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM
tzs

i just stopped with the bright red at 5 weeks and so far i'm not dead yet. my ob said up to 6 weeks...but it seems like you should be careful for the "whooshing."

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 10-18-2009, 02:06 PM

I feel small gushes still, but it's mostly brown-ish, not bright red.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM

A little different situation here, I had a c-section...still bleed but not as much as if I had the natural birth I was prepared for. But that aside, the blood was and is red at 4 weeks. I don't have the wooshes you speak of but that maybe where the difference is from the c-section.

Sophia ~ 9/21 learning how to be crunchy mama. Uh oh, I just went over the crunch edge! ECing!! Planned ~ maybe next time : :
Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 AM

Well, I had this happen too. I was sitting on my bed, and there was a sort of whoosh. I bled all over my pad and then on the bed too. It made me feel dizzy, and freaked me out, lol. It slowed down almost right away, so was okay. I have been told by my midwives that at 2 weeks or so, the *scab* for the placental site falls off, and I have always had a recurrance of heavy bleeding at this time. This time it was around 3 weeks. I have also been told that there are *pockets* of the lining that continue to contract with nursing, and sometimes a gush or two will come out.

Of course, the most likely thing that happens at around 2 weeks is that you stop taking it so easy! You probably feel better, baby is settling in, and the visitors have stopped bringing food. You start with more housework, you drive, you go to the store and bend and carry more. So, your bleeding increases, sometimes all at once.
Personally, after five babies/two miscarriages, I am a firm believer in lying down to rest as much as possible in the first month. The two babies I have been *able* to do this with, I have recovered the best, with little/no postpartum depression/anxiety. Also, less bleeding overall. I know that it is not always possible, of course, but I tried my very best, and it seemed to help.
I would call your midwife/doctor if this happens a lot, but an isolated incident is probably fine, if it slows down.
Congrats on your baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try to rest, and just cuddle that baby. I like to really drink them in, and nuzzle, lol.

Leocea
Old 10-22-2009, 02:52 AM

I'd never heard that about the placenta scab...good to know! I just had my bleeding step it up too, this is getting so old....

: 10/06 : 10/09

User Tag List