Anyone NOT losing weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 6 weeks postpartum on Thursday and aside from the initial 15 pounds I lost right after birth ... I have not lost A SINGLE POUND! and I gained 50 Am I the only one? I am nursing on demand - about every 2 hours. Griffin's gaining well. I am not eating a lot at all ... fruit and plain yogurt smoothie for breakfast, peanut butter sandwhich for lunch, bowl of cereal with milk for snack, chix and veggies for dinner ... smoothie at 3 am if I am hungry and exhausted. I feel like I should be a rail with what I am eating ... maybe I need to eat more? I am moving around ... but seriously not a pound. Has anyone held on to weight and then it started to move? I vaguely remember not losing quickly in the beginning with DD1 ... but by 1 year I was skinny again. Not wanting to wait so long this time. Any advice, pointers, or similar stories to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 12:18 AM

You have my sympathies! I only at 4 weeks pp (tomorrow) and I haven't lost any since the 15 pounds or so that first week. However, I have NOT been very mobile. Housework is all the exercise I get, which is actually a lot some days. I do have a cystocele, so I try to keep it to a minimum. I haven't been eating super healthy most days. It is more out of convenience most days, but I do eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. I am nursing like crazy, too. Feels like he is a permanent attachment these days!

I say just concentrate on the baby for now, and the weight will come off in due time. I am saying this to myself, too. I hate not having anything that fits and feeling like I look "fat". I am not overweight or anything, just not my normal "skinny" self.

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 AM

I'm not getting back into shape the way I would like- that's for sure. I did lose weight throughout the pregnancy, but I'm very 'out of shape' compared to my norm at this point.

I'm working on finding tha balance between healthy eating and eating enough for my body to be healthy while breastfeeding... personally, I know I won't lose everything I want to and tone the way I'd like while nursing, but the benefits outweigh that very superficial cost. When I do wean the kids, I'll completely have my body back.

I'm starting to increase my exercise again, as that is more effective for me than worrying about cutting calories and depriving myself of the lovely chocolate chip cookie I baked a couple hours ago...
Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak
i gained ~30 lb and have lost ~20. i am 5 weeks pp and have not been steadily losing weight. it is annoying that my jeans don't fit, but i did just have a baby.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

So glad to see I am not the only one. I just hope it starts to melt away at some point soon. I remember being kind of big at 2 months pp with DD1 ... so maybe this is just the way my body works. Wonder if not sleeping has anything to do with it. Rebecca - sorry about the cystocele ... what can you do to improve that? Thanks for making me not feel totally abnormal. I was just reading all these posts how people just lost 35 pounds and fit into their clothes right away ... I am happy for those women, but it just makes me want to cry!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:13 AM

i'm having trouble losing weight too. but my guy has been diagnosed with GERD, and so i now have to watch what i eat, since some of it is giving him reflux. no more chocolate or pop for me (amongst other things). here's hoping this will help!

Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelittleone View Post
I am 6 weeks postpartum on Thursday and aside from the initial 15 pounds I lost right after birth ... I have not lost A SINGLE POUND! and I gained 50 Am I the only one?
You're not alone. I lost 18 lbs post partum and nothing else since. I gained 48 lbs during my pregnancy.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM

I, too, and glad I'm not the only one! I remember being pretty much back to my pre-pregnancy weight at around 4 months PP with DS1, so here's hoping! (Of course, I was a lot more active, but I also gained 50 pounds then, as opposed to 40 this time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelittleone View Post
So glad to see I am not the only one. I just hope it starts to melt away at some point soon. I remember being kind of big at 2 months pp with DD1 ... so maybe this is just the way my body works. Wonder if not sleeping has anything to do with it. Rebecca - sorry about the cystocele ... what can you do to improve that? Thanks for making me not feel totally abnormal. I was just reading all these posts how people just lost 35 pounds and fit into their clothes right away ... I am happy for those women, but it just makes me want to cry!
Kegels, kegels, and more kegels. I have an appointment for a 4-week check-up tomorrow, actually. I'm going to ask if there is anything else I can do.

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

Old 10-25-2009, 02:20 PM

I haven't lost a pound since the intial 13lbs that fell off immediately after delivery.

I'll be 7 week pp on Wednesday.

I'm wearing my pregnancy jeans right now
Old 10-25-2009, 03:06 PM

Man, I am glad to see this thread. I lost 24 of the 55 pounds I gained right after delivery.

Since then... nope. I'll be 4 weeks pp tomorrow.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM

I lost 20lbs in the first week, and nothing since I put on about 35lbs. So, I;m still wearing mat jeans Ugh, I hate this feeling...

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

Old 10-25-2009, 03:31 PM

not losing a drop. i gained about 40 lbs lost 20 and still am hanging on to about 20. around 18-19 to be exact. this is the most i have ever weighed in my life and i don't like it. i do eat however. it's been a little tough to eat well but i do manage to eat probably too much. i think i have PTSD and eat for comfort mostly.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
i think i have PTSD and eat for comfort mostly.
From the birth?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM

Lost about 15lbs right away and about 2 since then. Soleil is 5 weeks now, I am not one of those lucky mothers that can use breastfeeding as my only way to lose weight. I have to seriously watch what I eat to lose weight and right now I am too exhausted to even care enough to do it. I just wish I fit more than my maternity pants and 2 pairs of 'fat' jeans ugh. I am having serious self esteem issues re: my weight but to deal with it I eat chocolate what an idiot

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhain View Post
Lost about 15lbs right away and about 2 since then. Soleil is 5 weeks now, I am not one of those lucky mothers that can use breastfeeding as my only way to lose weight. I have to seriously watch what I eat to lose weight and right now I am too exhausted to even care enough to do it. I just wish I fit more than my maternity pants and 2 pairs of 'fat' jeans ugh. I am having serious self esteem issues re: my weight but to deal with it I eat chocolate what an idiot
I have been eating cookie dough/cookies. It is my weakness. I KNOW I shouldn't be touching them with a 16,574,510-foot pole.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
From the birth?
from the pulmonary embolism i had about 12 hours after the birth. scary stuff.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
nak
i gained ~30 lb and have lost ~20. i am 5 weeks pp and have not been steadily losing weight. it is annoying that my jeans don't fit, but i did just have a baby.

Same here the 20lbs fell off so far the 10 isn't budging!

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 10-28-2009, 12:02 AM
tzs

omg! thank you!!!!!!
from other posts i thought you were supposed to be skinny again and then i keep hearing from friends that they have "8 pounds to go" to pre-preg weight etc....
no way!!!! i gained 45 pounds and i was shocked to get on the scale at 6 week check-up to find that i had only lost 12 since giving birth. i hadn;t weighed myself at all, i thought you would drop at least 20 or so, just with baby and fluids and all. plus, the kid doesn;t even let me put her down to eat! then i did some mellow exercise and started bleeding again. ugh.
i might as well still be preggos with my weight the way it is. and even then i'd still be heavy!

Reluctant 'Sconie, chassid and mama to sweet toughie Ada Bluma 9/9/09 and loving pittie-mix ("Judge the deed, not the breed!")
Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 PM

I'm kind of chubby too! People keep telling me I have "bounced right back" but it's so not true. I gained a little over 30#, and lost 18 right away. I thought I was on the road to my regular weight. I was really looking forward to getting back to running, too!

But I also have a cystocele, and things still feel like they're going to fall outta me if I overdo it. I told DH that I am going to not start any rigorous exercise until the first of the year, to give my pelvic organs time to heal and hopefully get back in position. I have been walking in the neighborhood sometimes but then I feel like my prolapse is worse afterward. I walked today so we'll see how it is later.

Anyway, all this is to say that I haven't lost any more, and actually gained back some of what I had lost because October treats are soooo yummy. I think I have about 15 pounds to go, and I'm just trying to be at peace with that for now.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 PM

i'm 6 wks 1 day pp and i've GAINED about 15 lbs. i lost about 15 during her birth and i'm 1 or 2 lbs HEAVIER than after i had her. i only gained about 10 lbs due to severe nausea and acid reflux. after i had her, i got hungry and it seems i haven't stopped eating since then. and i actually gained weight running back and forth to the nicu! i was the same with my last baby...i think it's the fact that i'm older (35) than when i had my other babies and that i was pumping 40-60 oz/day.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 10-31-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

I WISH I had 15 pounds to go (not that I don't sympathize - just envious). I gained 50 lost 15 ... 35 left and it's A LOT of weight to be carrying around. I used to be a size 4/6 ... I don't mind sometimes ... but then I see a picture and my boobs are GIGANTIC ... like, I should be worried about giving the baby or anyone near me a concussion if I move too quickly ... I wonder how much is boob weight and how much is my butt following me around the house! Oh well at least my baby is beautiful So really I'm just updating ... the scale has not budged ... at all!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
omg! thank you!!!!!!
from other posts i thought you were supposed to be skinny again and then i keep hearing from friends that they have "8 pounds to go" to pre-preg weight etc....
no way!!!! i gained 45 pounds and i was shocked to get on the scale at 6 week check-up to find that i had only lost 12 since giving birth. i hadn;t weighed myself at all, i thought you would drop at least 20 or so, just with baby and fluids and all. plus, the kid doesn;t even let me put her down to eat! then i did some mellow exercise and started bleeding again. ugh.
i might as well still be preggos with my weight the way it is. and even then i'd still be heavy!
Same here!! I gained about 45# and I'm down maybe 15 pounds at 8 weeks post partum. I just started jogging again this week - ugghhh. I can't fit into my "fat" postpartum jeans from my last pregnancy and don't want to buy more. I'm guessing since this is my second time around is why it's worse. My belly still looks deflated too.

The real kick in the pants is that the holidays are just around the corner! Can someone hide the halloween candy?! Pumpkin pie will be my downfall...
Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 PM

No more lost here either. I keep fluctuating actually and losing 1-2 pounds but keep going back.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
Old 11-02-2009, 06:19 PM

I'm below my pre-pg weight, but not losing even though I have over 100 I could stand to lose.

I only gained 20 pounds during the pg, lost 15 the day of his birth, and another 10 in excess water I was carrying around in the next week. Since then I've either been holding steady or creeping back up.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 11-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Yeah, not losing any weight either. 26 pounds above pre-preg weight and it won't budge. And its been nearly 11 months.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:14 PM

I've hit a plateau. I was doing great, losing 1/2-1 pound a day on average, but now I've weighed the same for about a week. Although I saw one of my doulas today and the first thing she said was that I look much thinner, so I must be reshaping. I can fit into my pants (most of them) but they give me bad muffin top, and all of my shirts are tight because I was so thin before, so it shows the muffin top a lot!! I'm at the frustrating stage where I want to get BUSY working out to lose this weigh, I don't like my body right now, but I'm only 4 weeks post partum so I have 2 more weeks before I get "clearance" from my dr. I've been walking a lot, and have started doing some light ab work (I checked for diastasis first, and I have only a finger tip separation).

I'm 11-15 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight right now, gained 50 total.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM

lost 18 lbs. right away...gained most of it back. 8 weeks post partum now. I am eating a lot and am hungry all the time. I try to remember that it took nine months to gain it...trying to give myself some space and realize it will come off once I'm more active.

Married Mama to two girls, A (4/06) and I (9/09).

Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 PM

my weight loss has stalled out and is not being helped by me constantly being hungry. As much as I'm not looking forward to being back at work, it will keep me from grazing all day long. I seem to be craving carbs and am trying to balance that out with protein.

I'm also trying to add daily walks into my schedule but with it getting cooler I'm having a harder time. I'd really like to be down 25 lbs more by mid-February.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
this is the most i have ever weighed in my life and i don't like it.
DITTO.

I lost 18lbs right away, nothing since. I have 15 to go to get to my pre-preg weight, but I really needed to lose weight then too

So, I have about 25lbs to go. I've been at the same weight for the last 6 weeks

Mom to : DS1 (11), DS2 (8), DD3 (4), : DS4 (1), and : : :

User Tag List