Gavin is sick :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Connor had a cold last week, and it looks like Gavin has caught it. He has a runny nose and a bad cough. So far he's doing fine, the nose isn't causing any feeding problems, and although his cough sounds horrid, it's a good thing that he's coughing. And so far, thankfully, no fever.

I had to take Connor to the dr last night (he has a hernia...poor kid can't catch a break!! It's not enough that he's had 4 surgeries related to his birth defects, but now he has a hernia???!) and I asked the dr about Gavin. The dr said that if he gets any fever we go straight to the ER, and that the hospital's policy is to admit any newborn under 3 months with a fever until it's gone for at least 24 hours.

GREAT. So let's all *really* hope that he doesn't get a fever!!!! I went through that with Connor...he had a fever at 9 weeks old and was admitted. Turned out he had pneumonia and a UTI. I had to fight off so many invasive tests (they wanted to do a spinal tap, even after his xray and urine came back positive), had to argue about keeping him on breastmilk, it was just overall an unpleasant hospital stay (not that any are!).

And we're supposed to leave for a trip to Michigan in a week!! Ugh!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Oh no! I hope he feels better soon. Susanna got a cold at 4 weeks. It was just a stuffy nose and it was fine.
#3 of 7 Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear about Gavin. Sawyer is sick, too. He is the last one in the house to catch this bug, or whatever it is. I am still fighting it myself. It went from Lucas to DH to Drew to me to Sawyer. He is miserable and does have a fever hanging in at about 101.5. I have an appointment this afternoon with his ped. I can't stand seeing him like this. I gave him the tiniest about of Tylenol, but he didn't like it at all. I have zero experience with sick newborns. Lucas had his first sick visit just a few months ago!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#4 of 7 Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

He's doing well so far. No fever, thankfully. His nose is a bit better, but his cough sounds horrible still He's eating well and sleeping well, so that's what's most important.

I hope Sawyer is okay!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#5 of 7 Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks. He is going to be fine, I hope. His temp went up around lunchtime, so I flew out the door to a clinic, not his regular ped. His temp was 104 at the doc's!!! Geez, I feel bad for not taking him sooner. Flu and strep tests are negative. He has a rash on his tummy and chest, which usually means viral. It's got to be this cold we have all had. The ped there examined him from head to toe, and they did a lot of blood work and urine work, and all looks good. The ped was great and showed me all the #'s and explained what they mean. He was so good with Sawyer. He said Sawyer is very healthy, just fighting this bug. They want me to bring him there (or to his regular ped) in the morning for follow-up. They also gave him a precautionary shot of antibiotics. I wasn't 100% on board, but all the "what if's" were going through my mind, so I consented.

Now it's just a matter of getting him to sleep longer than 15 minutes. Thank goodness we co-sleep, because I'd be up and down ALL NIGHT.

I'm so glad Gavin is doing okay!

step-mommy to babygirl.gif (11), mommy to babyboy.gif (5), babyboy.gif (3) vbac.gif babygirl.gif (0) vbac.gif

sweet little one in Heaven angel2.gif ~ about 7 weeks 3 days ~ 12-28-11

#6 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM

poor babies. sebastian at 12 weeks caught a cold from big brother that became rsv. 2 weeks of sickness and overall unpleasantness around here. thank goodness all is going well now.

2boyzmama- what kind of hernia does conner have? sebastian had an incarcerated one at 5 weeks, needed surgery quickly. it was a really trying situation.
#7 of 7 Old 12-19-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashakittie View Post
poor babies. sebastian at 12 weeks caught a cold from big brother that became rsv. 2 weeks of sickness and overall unpleasantness around here. thank goodness all is going well now.

2boyzmama- what kind of hernia does conner have? sebastian had an incarcerated one at 5 weeks, needed surgery quickly. it was a really trying situation.
I'm wondering about RSV with Gavin. His cough is pretty horrible, but his nose is a lot better, and aside from the cough, he's fine. Eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping...if it is RSV, he's handling it well enough.

Connor has a large ventral hernia, we see the surgeon on Monday. I'm a little taken aback by how fast it's all happening...I saw it late on Saturday night, called the dr on Monday, we got seen the same day. Got a call from the surgeon the very next day, and he had an appt 6 days later. The ped led me to believe that this isn't urgent, but the quickness in getting to the surgeon leads me to believe otherwise. We are supposed to go to Michigan to see family on Wednesday, but I'm wondering if we won't be in surgery with Connor instead...

Hernias are very common in his syndrome, he has general hypotonia, he has diastasis recti, and he has multiple birth defects in his airway/lungs, so he uses accessory muscles to cough (and he has an immune deficiency, so he's sick A LOT, so coughs A LOT). So out pops a hernia. I suspect the surgeon will want to "shore up" his entire abdominal wall vs just repairing the hernia. But we'll see on Monday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page