Post Partum hair loss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has started for me. The last 2-3 weeks it's been ridiculous how much hair I'm shedding!! I clog up the shower drain every shower, and have to clean my hair brush. I just picked some hairs off my desk here at work.

I remember this happening after Ian's delivery, and it lasted over a year, I remember going to my next annual Gyn appt and asking about it.

I don't remember it after Connor, but there was so much other stress, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it.

So now it's happening again. This is listed as a "normal" thing during the post partum period, but that's the mainstream view on it. What's the more "natural" view on it? Is it possible a sign of a deficiency of some sort? Or does it just mean I'm a mammal and I shed some "fur" after having a baby? (many mammals use their own shedded fur to build a nest for their young)

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM

UGH! me too........hate it. i did hold onto hair though while pregnant, i didn't lose the normal amount that i usually do at that time, so i am just hoping it's what i would have normally lost but yeah it sucks!
#3 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 03:10 PM

me too. It's been crazy since right before Christmas. My hair is super long so it looks like even more than it actually is (although it actually is quite a lot to begin with!) I know I don't shed hair much at all while pregnant and my hair always looks great while I'm pregnant, and then it all goes to hell in a handbasket. To add insult to injury, what isn't falling out on its own is being ripped out by the baby's wandering chubby little hands. Last time I remember I got so aggravated I cut my hair off at around 7 months PP...then I HATED it and it took me until I got pregnant with this one to grow my hair back to the length I like it, so no matter what I'm NOT cutting it off again.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#4 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 05:21 PM

I'm having a ton of hair loss. I normally get my waist length hair cut 18" postpartum and donate to locks of love. Well, gee, twins happened and I haven't gotten this done yet. Oliver ended up with a hair tourniquet around three toes three days ago and there's STILL a red line on them - it was on there less than 2 hours (I check every diaper change). I am getting it cut this weekend no matter what - I will chop it myself if I have to. Check those toes!!!!

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#5 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm shedding too. I read before that it has something to do with a hormone shift. I don't know, but it didn't start until she was about 3 months old. Thought I'd get to keep my hair this time, but nope.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#6 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM

its driving me crazy!!!! tiny house, 3 cats and a dog that all shed like crazy, now me dropping long, thick strands everywhere- my floors are out of control!
#7 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 PM

I don't think it's a deficiency of anything. It grows more when you're pregnant and less falls out than normal because of all the estrogen. Then when you're postpartum and the estrogen drops, the hairs go back to their usual cycle. You just lose all at once what you would have been losing all along had you not been pregnant.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#8 of 16 Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanjeepin View Post
I'm having a ton of hair loss. I normally get my waist length hair cut 18" postpartum and donate to locks of love. Well, gee, twins happened and I haven't gotten this done yet. Oliver ended up with a hair tourniquet around three toes three days ago and there's STILL a red line on them - it was on there less than 2 hours (I check every diaper change). I am getting it cut this weekend no matter what - I will chop it myself if I have to. Check those toes!!!!
We had the toe tourniquet here too. Was about the same length of time and when I got it off of the toes, she had some bleeding and the red lines around the front of the toes for almost a week!

I've been losing hair like crazy and do want to cut my hair but am waiting until late March/early April... I like having hair on my neck when it is cold out and to donate, I'll be going to a "boy cut".

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#9 of 16 Old 01-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Here are some tips I use and give my mom's: (most of you probably do them already)

Brush Before your shower:to prevent drain clogs (rec from my plumber)
Condition
Blow dry to get Rid of the rest of the loose hairs
Pull back your hair/wear a kerchief/bandana or hair net if you have to. Brush really well before bed.
If you co-sleep keep a tape roller next to your bed and tape before you go to bed and upon waking
vacuum A LOT You's be suprised how much hair clings to your socks!

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#10 of 16 Old 01-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmummy View Post
Here are some tips I use and give my mom's: (most of you probably do them already)

Brush Before your shower:to prevent drain clogs (rec from my plumber)
Condition
Blow dry to get Rid of the rest of the loose hairs
Pull back your hair/wear a kerchief/bandana or hair net if you have to. Brush really well before bed.
If you co-sleep keep a tape roller next to your bed and tape before you go to bed and upon waking
vacuum A LOT You's be suprised how much hair clings to your socks!
I will add one - check toes of baby footed sleepers after the laundry. I get a LOT in there from that.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)
#11 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 02:50 AM

Well I just got out of the shower ... that's a lot of hair! I am so thankful for this post to ease my mind. I am hypothyroid but have gone off my meds (stayed on the hormone just during pregnancy) and am using homeopathy to cure myself, and I know hair loss can be a symptom ... but it's also normal for pp ... going for blood work tomorrow to make sure I am on the right path! Never thought to check little toes. Griffin does get hair wrapped around his fingers - and I am plucking strands off of him often as well.

Is anyone elses skin really dry?

How stinkin' cute are our babies

If I could ever figure out how to post a pic I would!
#12 of 16 Old 01-08-2010, 01:58 PM

That's funny, I was just thinking about posting about this! Mine started a few weeks ago as well, and I've been shedding like crazy ever since. We've also had the toe tourniquet... And now I don't feel so bad about it I feel like I'm constantly picking hairs off of everything. The bed, the bathroom counter, the baby, myself, blankets. And this can last a year? I won't have any hair left!!!

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#13 of 16 Old 01-10-2010, 02:35 AM

I was terrified that with all the cooking around the holidays someone would find my hair in their food. I wore a bandana on my head every time I cooked for others. My bathroom is a mess! My hair was pretty thin to begin with. The only time in my entire life it looked lush was when I was pregnant. Oh well.

My mom gave me a bottle of something called Biotin (I think). She said it is what they give cancer some cancer patients to help them keep their hair. (Not the full on chemo but some procedures just weaken hair. Anyway, she's a nurse, a hospice nurse so I trust her on this.) I've only used it a few days but I'm not sure if it works.
#14 of 16 Old 01-16-2010, 12:42 AM

I keep mine in a bun all day, every day, and thus far haven't found too much around the kids or in their clothes. But oh my, do I notice it when I brush my hair at night! I have really long hair too, it's down to my butt and blonde, but I have this urge the past couple of weeks to dye it (first time ever!) For some reason I really want to go really dark... kind of random

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#15 of 16 Old 01-16-2010, 11:01 AM

been losing tons of it - and i have really long hair. glad to hear this is normal!

32 - son born 9/21/09
#16 of 16 Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 PM

losing tons of hair, and since it's longer than I have had it in quite some time, it's EVERYWHERE!

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page