Holy mother of milestones!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
She did it all by herself!!!!! I laid her down drowsy for her morning nap and she fell asleep ON HER OWN without nursing OR crying. This is HUGE! We have had a great nap schedule for a while now, but it has been an evolution. I know Piper goes down best after 1 1/2 hours of wakefulness, but until today, I have laid down with her to nurse her to sleep and then crept away once sleeping. Yesterday the pediatrician suggested that I try to nurse her upright and lay her down drowsy and walk away. I told her that I was certain that Piper would cry and that I was against letting her CIO. She said that I should give her a chance...so I did.

She wimpered slightly for a few minutes, but it never developed into a cry and then...SILENCE.
She was sleeping...is sleeping.
She did it. I am so proud I could practically wake her up to hug and kiss her, but of course I won't. I would have never imagined a month ago that this day would ever come. At least not so soon. And for anyone who has read healthy sleep habits, happy child, he was right when he said that for a well rested child, switching from method B to methd A could be done with little to no crying. I had my doubts, but it worked. Now I am not so sure if I should press my luck with the next nap or try it with the morning nap for a few days...morning nap is the most solid and predictable and she is most well rested from the night time sleep which is why I tried for this one first.

I am so glad I tried!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!
#2 of 4 Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turtle, I'm SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I know Ms Piper has challenged you in so many ways, and this has to feel so uplifting to you!!!!

Gavin has also begun doing this, and it is SO nice! He also has begun waking up from a nap and instead of immediately crying, he'll stare at his toy or talk to himself for a while. What a change!!!

Go dance a little happy dance...then treat yourself to something nice Baby milestones should be celebrated!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 4 Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
congrats! I am trying to get enough nerve to try this myself.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-14-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks ladies!

3boyz, it's great to hear that Gavin has also begun napping on his own. And waking in a good mood as well. Isn't is wonderful to get over the hurdles. I know he has also presented you with some challenges. We should both be very proud of our LOs. And ourselves for getting though the harder moments with grace and love.

And strongfeather, I know what you mean...I thought for sure that Piper would begin to cry and I had already prepared myself that I would have to go to her and try again when she is a bit older, but to my surprise, she went without a fight. So, maybe it is worth a try. If Sam begins to cry, you can always go to him and soothe him as I was prepared to do with Piper. But she didn't cry. That was the magic of it all. Good luck!

Mama to 4yo dd Piper, loving wife to Dave and preggo for the second time...due in Early July!  Hurray!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page