Mothering Forum banner

Trying to set up a "meet the midwife" appointment :)

652 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Bromache 
#1 ·
Hopefully I'll meet my potential midwife on Friday.
I emailed her earlier this week and she emailed back this morning (I don't do very well on the phone or in person, lol) and wanted me to call and set up a time to meet her. So I called... got her answering machine, lol. Hopefully she'll call back sometime today. I'm so excited!
:

Do the rest of you have someone in mind already or made appointments, etc.?

See less See more
#3 ·
We're using the second-in-command m/w from our last birth. She's wonderful! She'll come out to visit us right around 8 weeks I believe.

#5 ·
I'm jealous that in the US you get to pick your midwife. In the UK you normally get whichever midwife(s) cover your area or are assigned to your GP's. I was really suprised when I called my Dr's to get an appointment when I first tested and was told by the receptionist that I didn't need to see him and that she would book me straight into see the midwife when I'm 8 weeks. My booking in appointment is on March 9 (I'll be 10 weeks by then) and I'm really looking forward to it! I hope I like her

#6 ·
i have my 1st apt tomorrow (with a nurse practitioner) just to confirm the pregnancy and i guess order some blood work (hope all is going well and my hcg levels are high). hope they don’t mind my crunchiness (I don’t want a u/s but dh does so we may settle on 1 & also I want them to use the fetalscope for heartbeat not the dop-tone). i'll be using a practice where they have numerous midwives (hopefully throughout the pregnancy i can meet all of them) and they attend home births (i need to double check on this, but we have a large amish population here and i heard the attend home births & they take my insurance).

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjlparis View Post
I'm jealous that in the US you get to pick your midwife. In the UK you normally get whichever midwife(s) cover your area or are assigned to your GP's. I was really suprised when I called my Dr's to get an appointment when I first tested and was told by the receptionist that I didn't need to see him and that she would book me straight into see the midwife when I'm 8 weeks. My booking in appointment is on March 9 (I'll be 10 weeks by then) and I'm really looking forward to it! I hope I like her

How neat though that in the UK they support midwifery so much and that having an OB and all the intervention that it usually leads to isn't the first thing you are expected to do. You have your pick of midwives in the US, but you also have to pay for them out of pocket usually and have the risk of being transferred and the midwives have no hospital privileges.

I still have Canadian residency, so I am trying to figure out how to give birth in Canada where it is paid for and the midwives have hospital privileges. I'm only 45 minutes from the border, so it should be fine. I am calling midwives in Ontario this week to try to figure the logistics out.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyvangy View Post
How neat though that in the UK they support midwifery so much and that having an OB and all the intervention that it usually leads to isn't the first thing you are expected to do. You have your pick of midwives in the US, but you also have to pay for them out of pocket usually and have the risk of being transferred and the midwives have no hospital privileges.

I still have Canadian residency, so I am trying to figure out how to give birth in Canada where it is paid for and the midwives have hospital privileges. I'm only 45 minutes from the border, so it should be fine. I am calling midwives in Ontario this week to try to figure the logistics out.
If this pregnancy is a sticky, I am pretty much going to have to give up on my dream of a homebirth because there is just no way we can shell out the $4000 out of pocket to pay for it.

#9 ·
I'd love to use the midwife who attended my last birth, but we've moved. I called a clinic here and they've assigned me to one who is available around my due date. I'm a little nervous -- I hope I like her. Last time, I liked one more than the other (in that practice, you had two primary midwives and two back-up, one of each attend the birth) and I lucked out and got the one I liked better for my labor. (Thank you, ds, for coming a week early!) I hope I'm so lucky this time.
:

My first appointment is set for March 4th and I'll be 10 weeks. I'd love to know my hormone levels and stuff now, but that's not the way it works here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.