Paranoid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies-

As you can see I am new here.

I found out I was pregnant by a big surprise after they did a routine pregnancy test at my OBGYN's office before I was supposed to do a saline ultrasound (to find out the cause of my infertility and period issues). I have been extremely nervous though because they never found out what was causing my period issues and now I am just petrified of miscarriage. By the way, I was having period almost every 2 weeks, sometimes even closer together, and they'd often last 9+ days and be extremely painful.

Anyway, this is my first pregnancy. I am about 5 weeks along, I think, and I am guessing due on October 1st, though I should find out for sure tomorrow.

They did Beta tests. No clue when I ovulated, because of my wacky cycles (I didn't even think I WAS ovulating!). But I am guessing on the dates:

About 14-15 dpo my beta hcg level was 742.
And then 3 days later, it was over 2000

They said that looked good and I was in the high side. And tomorrow I am supposed to go for an ultrasound for dating. To be honest, I am just letting them do these tests and then I plan on switching to a midwife at a birth center, but I am soooooo freaking out. I expect to miscarry, I'm certain the results on the ultrasound won't be good.

So, I don't know what I'm asking. Has anyone had or known people who have had experiences like mine? What should I expect to find on a 'good' ultrasound at this time? Is there any chance of seeing a heartbeat (I read it happens at around 6,000 level of hcg, and if I am still progressing like I was in hcg level, I should be at 8,000 by friday).

I really just don't know how I will cope if I miscarry. I had not gotten pregnant once in the 1.5 years we were trying and I thought I was infertile, so this is really a great surprise. To be fair, I might seem a bit irrational. I have had no bleeding/spotting so far, although I do have some menstrual like cramps but the doctor said it was normal.

Sorry for the long rant and rave .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 06:29 PM

I have no experience, just good wishes.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 PM

No experience here either, just wanted to give s. I also had some cramping with my first and was constantly worrying about mc. I hope things go well for you; they seem to be going well so far! For me, it helps to keep myself busy when I start worrying about something that I know I can't do anything to change.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 01-29-2009, 10:27 PM

742 seems pretty high for 14-15dpo based off of this chart
http://betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single
If this is correct you would most likely be a little further along. I think you will be able to see the baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound, they also should be able to measure the fetal pole ect..

Good luck! I hope all goes well for you!

I just had a miscarriage in October and December so I know how you feel.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 PM

Don't really know anything what you are going through but I just have to tell you that your levels rising like that are a pretty good indication that things are going great.

How wonderful for you. I hope everything goes as you wish and that you have a wonderfull and beautiful pregnancy!!!!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:20 AM

all signs point to <baby in arms> in about 8 months! congratulations!!! i hope you can find a way to relax...it is so hard. maybe go out for dinner, a movie...something to get your mind of it for a bit? that sounds like such a shallow suggestion...but it may help. i wish i had something more helpful to offer. but from your numbers, symptoms, lack of bleeding, etc it really sounds like this pregnancy is off to a great start. what a surprise blessing!!

keep us posted!!!

xo
Sarah
Old 01-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Pregnancy fixed many of my health issues before, some of them permanantly.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! Your responses made me feel a lot better and a lot less anxious.

I had the ultrasound today and they said I am still very early. They could see a gestation sac and a small yolk sac; I was thinking there would be more but the doctor said things look great so far and that I am only about 5 wks 2-3 days LMP. She wants me to come back in 2 weeks for a second one.

I do feel kind of bad about all these ultrasounds but I know that my personality will drive me up the wall if I can't see that everything is going well; and after that second ultrasound I will, hopefully, switch to the midwife I have in mind.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM

for you worries. It sounds like your levels are great and your ultrasound was good too. I know what you mean about being worried about miscarriage. I am too. I try and not let it take up all of my thoughts. I second the keep yourself busy, go to a movie, read a long, good book, start doing a big project - something to keep your mind off.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 PM

no advice just sending good, sticky energy to your baby and you though!!! :

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
Old 01-31-2009, 01:30 AM

No advice, either, but best wishes. It sounds good!

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 PM

Hugs to you!! I know EXACTLY the paranoid feeling! It took 4 years for us to get DS and 4 m/c. Not fun. I worried that something was wrong or would go wrong all the while I was pg with DS...that's right, even during delivery I kept asking my DH if he thought we'd really have a baby!!!

Try to relax. I know it's hard. Are you a pray'er? You don't have to answer, but one thing that got me through was when I was feeling really nuts to say "OK God, I can't worry any more, take this worry from me and help me have a healthy baby". For some reason I could let it go for a while. Then after a couple of days it would start all over

You can do it!

JoAnn Married almost 12 years to DH Chris.  DS1 01/05 DS2 09/09 DS3 05/12.

User Tag List