feeling blue about my bloodwork... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
So yesterday I had my HCG and Progesterone levels tested. They just came back...hcg was 44mIU and progesterone was 16.6ng/ml.

I thought I was about 16dpo but if that is the case, these numbers seem really low. I don't want to be freaking out about this. With my son, I never knew any of the numbers and it all worked out fine. But he took one month to conceive...this little one has taken almost a year and my progesterone has been running low for the last 6 months. So it just feels more fragile.

I guess maybe I am not as far along as I thought? Maybe I am only 11-13 dpo (of course Dec/Jan was when we took a break from charting!). Even then, the numbers seem low.

Ugg! I have never been one for internet hugs, but now I feel as though I could use a few! Does anyone have experience or knowledge about these numbers that could possibly be reassuring??!!

Thanks all,
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

i forgot to mention that the reason i feel bummed about the 44 is that i was showing a bfp (faint, but there) on monday so i figured it must have been at least 20...therefore by thursday you would think it would be more than 44 on the bloodwork.

i think it is safe to say i need to chill. i am the most non-technological pregnancy/birth person i know but here i go getting all freaky. ahhh!!!
#3 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM

Here's a for you.

This is my first pregnancy, so I have no experience with HCG or progesterone levels, so I have no insight or advice to give you. I'm hoping that everything works out though.

When do you go back in to have numbers checked again?

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#4 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks BtotheG :-)

I go back in on Monday for a repeat. Darn weekends!!! Oh well...it will give the numbers some time to rise I suppose

My body tends to do things slow and steady (metabolism for example!!!) so I am going to try to go with the flow. (OR NO FLOW HOPEFULLY!!!!)

I need to doula myself (I am a birth doula) and find a way to relax and calm myself...I am thinking massage or accupuncture or something this weekend would be a good treat.

xo
#5 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 PM

MamaRue

I'm right with BtotheG in that this is my 1st pg (after 1 m/c) so i don't know much about the #s. i hope you have a relaxing weekend and have good #s on Monday.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#6 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRue View Post
i forgot to mention that the reason i feel bummed about the 44 is that i was showing a bfp (faint, but there) on monday so i figured it must have been at least 20...therefore by thursday you would think it would be more than 44 on the bloodwork.

i think it is safe to say i need to chill. i am the most non-technological pregnancy/birth person i know but here i go getting all freaky. ahhh!!!
Your numbers didn't have to be 20 to get a bfp.. Mine were only 14. I posted this link in another post but it gives a good day to day average of what the "normal" range is.
http://betabase.info/showBasicChart.php?type=Single

I wouldn't worry about your numbers, I am sure they are fine!

I am right there with you on the waiting though.. only I have to wait until Tuesday, but I refuse to think that they will have gone anywhere but up. I think yours will too.

HUGS

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#7 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 PM

Try not to worry. My prog is around 15, and my OB is perfectly happy with that, and I trust him so am trying not to worry myself (I know easier said than done!) You see a lot about higher levels on the internet because most of the people worrying about prog. are already supplementing. I have found several sources that say 9-47 is the normal range and that 12-20 is the average for 5-6 weeks pregnant.
As for HCG, everything I've read says the levels vary so much, and just the increase of it is what is important. s

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#8 of 17 Old 01-30-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks BtotheG :-)

I go back in on Monday for a repeat. Darn weekends!!! Oh well...it will give the numbers some time to rise I suppose

My body tends to do things slow and steady (metabolism for example!!!) so I am going to try to go with the flow. (OR NO FLOW HOPEFULLY!!!!)

I need to doula myself (I am a birth doula) and find a way to relax and calm myself...I am thinking massage or accupuncture or something this weekend would be a good treat.

xo
Ugh! I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have to wait over the weekend.

Definitely treat yourself to a massage or something this weekend.

B

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#9 of 17 Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM

#10 of 17 Old 01-31-2009, 05:32 PM

Waiting stinks!

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#11 of 17 Old 01-31-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the lovin'!

yeah...waiting isn't all that fun. i am feeling a ton better about it though. i think I must have O'd a whole lot later than I thought (and honestly the night I am thinking it must have been was way better in regards to "doing the deed" compared to other times because we had totally "let go" ttc and we were just together for the sake of it and it was really nice!) (That might have been more information than you wanted...sorry!)

Tomorrow i will do another hcg/progesterone level and by Monday I should know. I have a good feeling about it though...still lots of pressure, sore breasts, peeing all the time, etc.

Noah spent the night at his Grammie's last night, I drove the 30 mins home to Jack Johnson blaring on the radio (which is enough to cheer anyone up!!) and then my husband and I had a nice relaxing evening.

My son is so funny...we have been total attachment parenting parents and it just goes to show that practicing that type of parenting doesn't lead to co-dependent kids but rather independence...even as early as age 3 1/2...

I was thinking of spending the night with he and my mom at her house but he specifically told me he wanted to do a sleepover "without you Mama but I love you and will see you tomorrow".

Anyway...kinda cute.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

xo
#12 of 17 Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

so the awesome folks at the lab told me to come in today since the order was already in the system. they drew blood and gave me the hcg results within hours...

so on 14dop...145! :

it more than trippled since thursday!

now to relax and let my body do it's thing. if it wasn't for the chronic low progesterone, i would never have done all this blood work to begin with. but i think just with the hcg, my body is going into preggo mode and i am sure the progest numbers will be fine.

thanks all!
#13 of 17 Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
so on 14dop...145! :

it more than trippled since thursday!
that's great news!

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#14 of 17 Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 PM

That's wonderful! What a relief for you! :

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#15 of 17 Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM

OMG congrats!!!!! I was just coming back on your post to see how things were going. I thought your numbers were ok. I freaked out on mines to which were a lot higher but you know after reading and doing my homework that number is pretty normal. And the fact that they trippled that is ever better. I am so happy for you. I can't wait to get my bloodwork back this morning.
#16 of 17 Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Yay! Glad to hear the numbers are looking good!

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#17 of 17 Old 02-02-2009, 03:56 PM

: :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page