anyone else NOT been to the doctor yet? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I see no reason to go to any medical office for a month or two. I suspect I'll start scheduling interviews with HB midwives in the next week or two.
ditto!
hopefully we'll be able to work with the midwives we had last time... can't wait to tell them we're having another!
can't remember exactly, but i think we didn't see a MW until around 12 or 14 weeks.
#32 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 06:33 AM

I'm about five and a half weeks and haven't been yet. It's still really early days and they don't really do anything at your first appointment anyway. I'm kind of putting it off until we are settled into our new home and I can start getting my head around it.

I'll be going straight to the midwife as well. x
#33 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM

I have never been pregnant before, so didn't know what was normal, but my MD's office said they want to wait until week 8 to 10. So they got me booked in for about two weeks from now (I figured I'm just 6 weeks). I want to get in sooner than later because I'm an "information person" and also a "newbie" so I'm feeling pretty off my feet here.

Birthed a beautiful baby boy, Ethan, 11/11/09.
#34 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 AM

I've got my first appointment booked in mid-March, when I'll be around 8 weeks (knock wood). I might pop into my RE's office next week to get a blood test just for that extra reassurance.

Becca, mommy to my little pumpkin DS (10/09)
#35 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 12:26 PM

I had an informational visit with my midwives at 8 weeks. They don't recommend early US and I'm glad because I don't want them. My last pregnancy I had a "dating" US at 6 weeks, 4 days which was totally silly since I was already sure of my dates. And this time I am even more sure. 100% positive, in fact. I don't like transvaginal ultrasounds and I was not at all happy that somehow I managed to have five total ultrasounds last go round....with a normal, healthy pregnancy. Not this time.

THe first real appointment is at 12 weeks. Blood drawn and all that stuff.
#36 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 01:05 PM

I'll probably call my midwife in mid-March for my appointment.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#37 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM

I don't really feel like I want an appointment yet. I haven't even fully settled on the idea that I'm pregnant. I keep forgetting about it. I don't feel pregnant at all, so aside from the two lines on the stick...

But, I am unsure of when my last period was. And I'm tandem nursing so it could be WAY off and I'd never know it. For all I know my last period was really in December or something. That would be my luck. So I suppose I'll have to call and get an ultrasound for dating.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#38 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 02:13 PM

I just had my u/s for dating which of course I was right about. I'm having my first OB appt on Wed. I going to a different doc this time around, so I am excited about that. Hopefully everything goes well. My u/s seemed good, baby's heartbeat was 150, so it all seems fine.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#39 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My first MW appointment is March 14, I'll be nearly 11 weeks. With DD I was seeing a family doctor, and my first appointment was at about 6.5 weeks.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#40 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 06:18 PM

I haven't been yet, and will go in on Wed to get B12 for injections to hopefully help m/s. Other than that she usually sees people at around 12 weeks.

hh2.gif

#41 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM

I'm nine weeks and I don't think I will be going for another three to five weeks. I'm old hat at this by now, though! I may go in sooner because I love visiting with my midwife so much. I was sad after my last appointment with her at 3 months postpartum because I didn't think we would have anymore children and it was so final. I'm excited to get to see her so often again.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#42 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 09:41 PM

My first appt is on March 10th and I believe I will be 7 weeks at that point. I couldn't imagine waiting until 12 weeks......I need to know this baby is ok.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#43 of 49 Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 PM

Well, I understand. I spoke with a CNM about an early ultrasound and she said there is no clinical reason to have one so I opted not to. I have a doppler if I want to try to listen to a heartbeat, but it is still to early for me to hear for at least three more weeks. Going to the midwfe wouldn't tell me much about viability at this point and in the last few days I have a good feeling that everything is going well in there. I can feel my uterus growing and I still have nausea, although it is less severe since the middle of this week. I'm finally beginning to allow myself to bond with this baby. I'm still a little hesitant, but everyday I'm feeling better about this pregnancy. So yeah, waiting another few weeks just doesn't make a difference in my case.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#44 of 49 Old 03-01-2009, 01:22 AM

we're gonna stop by in another two weeks-ish (round week 10) to try and hear the HB on doppler. one of my best friends will be my midwife, so it's extremely informal

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#45 of 49 Old 03-01-2009, 10:20 AM

i met the midwife for a quick Q&A and had an ultrasound for dates at a clinic. But as far as prenatal care, I don't plan to start that till 4 or 5 months. pregnancy and birth are not illnesses and no matter how much blood they suck out of you, if you are going to lose the baby, you are going to lose the baby. (I know, I;ve been down that road numerous times.) So I don't stress anymore. I just go with the flow and let what will be, be.

My m/w is a traditional (lay) midwife. She is licensed but not a nurse. And she it toallyokayw ith me doing a mostly UP. She said she'd do my prenatal care if I wanted to UC but I'd rather have her assistance att he birth, since I tend to kind of freak out a little, and this will be my first non-medicalized birth.
#46 of 49 Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM

I just called my midwife friday to let her know we'll be using her for this baby, so she doesn't book up entirely, but won't likely go in for prenatal visits until at least 12 weeks. I'm well aware of what I need nutritionally, and DH is there for my emotional needs, I see little point in most prenatal testing so won't be doing any of that, and really don't see much point going in before that. Any issues likely to come up will show themselves, or will likely show up on the 20-wk ultrasound (me giving in to curiosity, and fending off family concerns). Of course, if anything feels "off" in any way, I'll call up my midwife before that, of course, but... just seems kinda silly for me, in my experience.
#47 of 49 Old 03-01-2009, 07:27 PM

I have found in England they don't really take your pregnancy seriously until after 12 weeks. I don't really feel like rushing myself in to see the midwife only to have a five minute chat and BP check. I will call in to the practice around 10 weeks in time for them to book a 12 weeks scan. I hope I can wait it out that long anyway..I just keep reminding myself there is no point in going any earlier.
Like people have said, if you're going to lose the baby at this stage, there is not much they can predict about it or do about it.
#48 of 49 Old 03-02-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito's_wife View Post
Well I haven't officially been to the doc yet. I have just seen my family practice doc to get labs but he hasn't seen me personally. Just put blood work into the computer for me. We are in the middle of PCSing to Fort Carson and by the time we get settled in I am guessing I will be close to 10 weeks or more so I might be nearing my 14th week before they even get me in to see an OB. I am ok with that.

I was kind of hoping to learn a little more about MW's because I almost want to have the baby at home and not deal with all the hospital junk. I have never done a natural birth but it seems worth it to me to go through the pain in order to have my angel at home and not have to beg for three days to go home so that I can take care of my other children. My last birthing exeriance was kind of nerve racking because although DD and I were just fine I had her on a thurday and they didn't want to let her out of the hospital until she had been there for 48 hours which went into the weekend so of course they held me there until monday. I threatened to walk out and they had the nerve to tell me I could leave anytime I wanted but they would have to call security if I tried to take DD off the floor. :

I don't need that hassle and by now I am pro at popping out babies so I just want to do it at home.

Maybe this post belongs in the "birthing plans" thread.
I just wanted to pass this on to you as my husband and I just did our research on HB and have learned about all the wonderful and safe outcomes from having a little one the way God intended us to. We watched "The Business of Being Born" (you can rent it on Netflicks or buy it) It was amazing, it is a documentary educating woman on childbirth and the options. We then went to a midwife center that was recommended to us and attended a seminar on the difference between in-hospital birth and out-of hospital birth and I am shocked at what takes place in hospitals to women giving birth. Hope this helps and enjoy educating yourself in this area, it is truly enpowering to discover the "other choices"!!
#49 of 49 Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 PM

I'm planning on doing a HB, so I was going to wait and call around until I was 8 weeks. I *think* everything is OK in there, but I do feel the occasional twinges, but I tend to hypochondriac. But with my EDD I guess there is a big MW convention in CA during that same time, so there may be less availability. ?

Just didn't want to start too early, but an appt can always be set up a few weeks later, and when I don't even know who I want yet, it's probably a good idea to start talking to some!

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page