anyone else NOT been to the doctor yet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone else not been to the doctor yet? I didn't have my first appointment with my GYN last pregnancy until I was almost 12 weeks. I don't want to go quite that long this time but I just want to know it sticks first I guess. I'm a little paranoid. Plus, I don't think it's sunk in yet that I am even pregnant. I just found out a few days ago. I couldn't get in to see my doctor that quick even if I wanted to.

Just curious as to when everyone plans to go for that first appt?

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#2 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
NOt in your club, but when I was due with my first baby on October 17, my very first appointment with the homebirth doctor was on March 16. Good luck all...
#3 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 PM

I just found out I was pg a couple days ago-I probably won't go to the doc for at least a few weeks.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#4 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 10:38 PM

I haven't had any appointments yet. I called a midwife to get info, but that's it. We're hoping to meet with some midwives (I'm thinking around 8-10 weeks?) just to get a feel for them and decide who we want to use. The first official appointment is at 12 weeks. It's going to be hard because I'm pretty sure we're moving about 2.5-3 hrs away this spring so we'll have to schedule a time to travel there to meet with the midwives and for my first couple appointments. I'd just rather have the same midwife throughout my pregnancy.
#5 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 10:46 PM

Normally I don't go in until around 10weeks, but with having 2 recent miscarriages I have been going in for labs and progesterone checks. I also will go in and schedule an u/s.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#6 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM

Nope and not gonna .

I just found out today though so i'm only 3 weeks along

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#7 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM

If I hadn't had spotting I don't usually go in until at least 12 weeks. If all is well when I get my HCG levels back I will start looking to see if I can find a HB midwife I can afford. If I can't then we will wait till 12 weeks or so again and go back to the only VBAC supportive OB I could find.

Becky married to Dave with our sons Davey(6), Beren(3), an Angel, and Seifer(11 m)
#8 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 11:52 PM

I haven't been yet, but I have my first appointment and an u/s scheduled for Feb. 10th.

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#9 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 12:27 AM

I go next week for an information session with the midwives - but my first actual prenatal appointment isn't until March, when I'll be 12 weeks.

I would consider setting up an appointment now, even if the appointment takes place much later - especially for those using midwives. When I called to make my appointment, the first thing the receptionist did was ask my due date, and then she checked to make sure they could take me on. I got the sense that if I had waited to long, they would have been booked up for October births.

I guess alot of this depends on what kind of practice you're using (large hospital centers probably don't fill up as quickly as small midwife practices) and where you live (I'm in a large urban area with lots of people but not that many homebirth midwifery practices, so lots of competition) - but it's something to think about.

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#10 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 01:48 AM

I haven't yet, but I only found out 3 days ago. I'm 5 weeks along. We'll be using the same homebirth midwife we used for my daughter's birth, and she's a friend of mine so I imagine I will talk to her about the pregnancy soon but I don't think I'll have a "prenatal" appt. until around 12 weeks or maybe even later. I feel inclined to be very hands off with this pregnancy, I don't plan to do any of the tests anyway, and I know that I am healthy so I don't see much need for them at this point.

hijab.gif Muslim convert attachment mama to 2, stepmama to 3 more. Married to a Warrior Spirit. 

"We can do no great things, only small things with great love." ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

#11 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 AM

I'm just five weeks today. I'll wait until late first trimester when there is an actual point in going. I don't much enjoy the appointments anyway.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#12 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM

I haven't yet, and it will probably be a while.

With my son, I was uninsured until I got on medicaid at 5 months. This time I'll need to do it again unless my husband finds work with benefits fast.
#13 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

I called the midwife clinic and they booked me in for March 4th, when I'll be about 10 weeks. That's about the same timing as last time.

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#14 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Bromache, do you happen to have an Etsy shop? Your u/n sounds so familiar.

I may be meeting with my midwife on 2/9, more to just talk about expectations and to help me adjust to the idea that yes, it finally happened! I am going to get my progesterone and thyroid levels tested tomorrow, because those are concerns for us, and I've already talked to my OB/GYN (who is wonderful also) on the phone about my medications and stuff. I don't think I'll have a "real" appointment until I'm 8 weeks or a little more, though.
#15 of 49 Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 PM

Nope. I wish! I'm not really skilled enough in any particular area to start a store. (Except portraits, but from what I've seen on Etsy, they don't do very well.)

Good luck with your appointment!

Kerry, wife to Chris and SAHM to Liam Michael Orion (06/29/07), Jonah Phoenix (10/07/09), and Naomi Lyra (09/15/13)!!
#16 of 49 Old 02-02-2009, 12:48 AM

I haven't been yet b/c of the PG. I went to my dr last Wednesday as a follow up to an appointment the week before and while there I asked her to test again but that's it. We're having some issues with our insurance at the moment, so until that's cleared up I'm not deciding on a provider and what we're doing etc.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#17 of 49 Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 AM

I haven't been yet, my Dr's said they didn't need to see me unless there was a problem and booked me straight in with the community midwife for my booking in appointment on March 9.
#18 of 49 Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Well I haven't officially been to the doc yet. I have just seen my family practice doc to get labs but he hasn't seen me personally. Just put blood work into the computer for me. We are in the middle of PCSing to Fort Carson and by the time we get settled in I am guessing I will be close to 10 weeks or more so I might be nearing my 14th week before they even get me in to see an OB. I am ok with that.

I was kind of hoping to learn a little more about MW's because I almost want to have the baby at home and not deal with all the hospital junk. I have never done a natural birth but it seems worth it to me to go through the pain in order to have my angel at home and not have to beg for three days to go home so that I can take care of my other children. My last birthing exeriance was kind of nerve racking because although DD and I were just fine I had her on a thurday and they didn't want to let her out of the hospital until she had been there for 48 hours which went into the weekend so of course they held me there until monday. I threatened to walk out and they had the nerve to tell me I could leave anytime I wanted but they would have to call security if I tried to take DD off the floor. :

I don't need that hassle and by now I am pro at popping out babies so I just want to do it at home.

Maybe this post belongs in the "birthing plans" thread.
#19 of 49 Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilamus View Post
We're having some issues with our insurance at the moment, so until that's cleared up I'm not deciding on a provider and what we're doing etc.
same here. I doubt I'll get in to see my gyn until late Feb.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#20 of 49 Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM

I was also planning not to go to the midwife or anyone until 12 weeks, but I started having some off and on cramping and some symptoms go away over the weekend. So with my history, I decided I would go get my progesterone checked. I'm supposed to go tomorrow. I probably have my first official appointment until around 12 weeks.
#21 of 49 Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM

I have a meet-the-midwife appointment on Wednesday! I hope I'll like her, I don't want to have to pay her consultation fee if I don't use her.

I say go for it, Carlito's_wife! You're certainly in the right place to learn about homebirth, and it's the best thing in the world.
#22 of 49 Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM

Since I already have a relationship with our family doctor, who does homebirths, she doesn't feel the need for an appointment until twelve weeks. Most of that will be a get to know more about each other and build up trust for later. Peeing on a stick, getting a BP, and later the tape measure, is about all the techno stuff that will happen at these appointments. Mostly it will be about preparing the home and hubby for the pending miracle.

Without a doppler or ultrasound, there isn't much point seeing her sooner. She was adamant that if I start throwing up to call her right away. I think I heard she likes B12 to fix emesis.

::
#23 of 49 Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaalegre View Post
I haven't yet, but I only found out 3 days ago. I'm 5 weeks along. We'll be using the same homebirth midwife we used for my daughter's birth, and she's a friend of mine so I imagine I will talk to her about the pregnancy soon but I don't think I'll have a "prenatal" appt. until around 12 weeks or maybe even later.
: Except I just got my BFP today. I'll call my midwife sometime this week to let her know... then again, we called her when we started talking about TTC, and asked her to be available in October for us, so she's expecting a call...

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#24 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM

I am going in today to the hospital to get blood work done to confirm pregnancy and all that then I have a appointment with my CNM on March 9th that will be my actual OB appointment.
#25 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM

My OB does an eight week ultrasound followed by a chat about diet, supplements, etc. I'm scheduled for that on the 23rd. I'm really excited. I want to hear the heartbeat and know that, so far, everything is going well.

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#26 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 01:31 PM

I'll be going at 11wks to see my midwife. I could go earlier if I wanted but there's really no sense.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#27 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 02:50 PM

I'm scheduled for an 8 week appt. in Mid-March.

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
#28 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 02:58 PM

My first appt. is March 12th. I'll be close to nine weeks. I'm totally bypassing the doctor and going straight to the mw. I learned my lesson from last time! lol

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#29 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't even called the insurance company to see who/what/where I can even be seen, let alone made an appt somewhere! I expect it'll be a couple months...

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#30 of 49 Old 02-09-2009, 03:11 PM

I see no reason to go to any medical office for a month or two. I suspect I'll start scheduling interviews with HB midwives in the next week or two.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page