First time mom's Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all, I am almost 4 weeks pregnant with our 1st baby and we are so excited. I thought it would be fun to have a thread for all us first time moms to chat and learn all these new things together. Lets chat about first time mom fears!!

We have been trying for 7 months. I was diagnosed with PCOS and took Clomid in December with no results. I decided to hold off on my 2nd dose due to being out of town and things and surprise, surprise I Ovulated before I could take Provera to bring on my period and take clomid again. So I waited it out and sure enough 10dpo I got a positive! Totally shocked but very happy. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Hi, I'm pretty much a first timer... Last summer I conceived but due to my age (37 at the time) had a CVS test to make sure everything was ok genetically. It came back with triploidy, a genetic disorder incompatible with life. It broke my heart but I decided to end the pregnancy at a little over 11 weeks.

I have my fingers crossed that everything goes ok this time around. I don't think I could bear another loss but I know it's a tiny possibility. I just want everything to be alright. Every day that goes by I feel a little better about things but I know I won't be able to really relax and enjoy the pregnancy until I have another CVS and know for sure that the baby's alright.

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#3 of 23 Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 PM

We're 4 weeks pregnant too, with an EDD of 10/20/09. I'm a little shocked too because all though we've been trying, it was our first month of charting, and I didn't think we'd gotten it quite right yet. But I was due to get my period today and it wasn't here, so I thought I'd just check and BOOM, two lines! We're very very excited---but won't really relax until 12 weeks is up just because of the risk of miscarriage.

Mama to P. born at home 10/09, and W. born in the hospital 2/13

#4 of 23 Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 PM

i'm 5 weeks pregnant today. we were not trying to have a baby, and we conceived naturally (and on accident - woops). after the huge initial shock/fear we both had, i'm happy to say we have come around & we're now enjoying the pregnancy!

i have a *slight* fear of losing the baby in the first trimester. i also have a really strange fear of not showing... i'd prefer to show my pregnancy off! i've always thought big bellies are adorable, and i'd love to sport one i'm kind of petite, so it could go either way! but that's less of a "fear" and more of just... a preference, i think? i'm kind of weird.

oh! and i also have a strong feeling already that it's a girl...
#5 of 23 Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM

this is our 2nd pregnancy (we had a really early m/c in last yr - so early if i wasn't charting i prob wouldn't have known) after ttc for 21 months. i'm 6w3d and really excited. i have lots of symptoms (which i've listed on other threads).

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#6 of 23 Old 02-10-2009, 03:08 PM

this will be my first, and this is the first time i've gotten a positive pregnancy test result during the whole time we were trying. it'll be interesting - we're the same age as some grandparents we know

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#7 of 23 Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Hi ladies! I'm happy, though a little reluctant to be joining you here. I'm 6w1d and I confirmed it again with another POAS just now (symptoms were less this morning, so I was feeling paranoid). I had a m/c Dec 29 at 5w5d, so I am thrilled to be a week further along right now. If it keeps being sticky, this will be #1 for DH and I. Don't have my first doc appointment until next Wednesday, so I'm planning to take up nail biting until then.

Congratulations to all of us! I have general nausea 99% of the time, but no vomitting except the occasional small amount if I burp (TMI, sorry). Super sleepy all the time. I pushed through it for work the last time around. This time, I'm giving in and letting myself sleep whenever and where ever I feel like I need to. I work from home, so I can get away with it from time to time. Oh, and I can't stop touching my boobs. They're less sore today--hence the panic and POAS--but still tender if I squeeze them. Poor boobs. I'm putting a lot of trust in them, then torturing them at least once per hour.

How are everyone's symptoms?

Loving wife to my amazing husband. Three (December 2008, March 2009 and August 2009). Just past 11 weeks with #4. Shooting heparin 2x daily, with the bruises to prove it. Proud parent of a giant : .
#8 of 23 Old 02-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
this will be my first, and this is the first time i've gotten a positive pregnancy test result during the whole time we were trying. it'll be interesting - we're the same age as some grandparents we know
Catubodua, how old are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm 38 and will be almost 39 by my projected due date. I feel like I'm the oldest one here!

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#9 of 23 Old 02-11-2009, 01:55 AM

Hi! This is my first. And a big surprise, too! It was an oops--and I am really glad, I could never make up my mind whether to start trying or not.
#10 of 23 Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolleLynne View Post
Catubodua, how old are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm 38 and will be almost 39 by my projected due date. I feel like I'm the oldest one here!
I just turned 39 in January. so, you and i will be the "grandmas" together!

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#11 of 23 Old 02-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
I just turned 39 in January. so, you and i will be the "grandmas" together!
Deal! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one of "advanced maternal age" on the board!

#12 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 12:52 AM

I'm on my second pregnancy, but I wanted to say something to all you first-timers:

Your kids are so lucky to have you as moms! Just think how informed you will be to make good decisions before your babies even get here. There are so many choices you get to make for your darling babies, and you ladies are already on top of them. Good job, and good luck!

"Well behaved women seldom make history." Laurel Ulrich   To make my mark I familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.giffly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFhbac.gif waterbirth.jpgcd.gif adoptionheart-1.gif, among other things,  and try to live a sustainable, natural life. My brood includes DD1, DS1 2 and 3, and expecting another in Aug 2014. 
#13 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM

are any of you giving your parents their first grandchild?
#14 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by care for you View Post
Our baby is the first grandchild for both sides. :
#15 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I sure hope so. It will be the first for my mom and third for my dad (he has two grandkids from my halfsister). Fingers crossed!!!

#16 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM

it'll be my (and DH's) parents first biological grandchild. my parents have a step-grandchild (she's 5) but they've definitely never had a "baby" grandchild yet. i can't wait to see them w/ her!
#17 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

I'm another aged mom. I'm 38 and I'll still be 38 when baby arrives. I'm not a first time mom in that I have an amazing 3 year old we adopted at birth but this is my first pregnancy. We hadn't used birth control in 10 years.

I've been sleepy, nausous and craving salty things. My first appointment is in a week and I'm really anxious to see if I'm carrying multiples. My mom was a twin, older mothers are more likely to have twins and I used clomid so I'm not just being paranoid.
#18 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Hi Masel,

Nice to see another older mom on the board. Let us know how your first appointment goes! Best wishes!

#19 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
it will be the 1st biological grandchild for my family & 4th for dh's.

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#20 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
This will be the first grandchild for my DH's mom (his father passed away last year, which makes it kind of bittersweet) and the third for my parents.

homebirth.jpgdd 10/09
#21 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 PM

Here we all are! It's our first time and we will be having the first grandchild on both sides, (I'm 30) although there is one step grandson on my husbands side... We are at nearly 4 real weeks... can't get over that that is really 6 weeks to the medical community. weird! Searching for a midwife in the area because I no longer feel good about going with the dr. I had first chosen so am a little anxious about that since I haven't yet seen a dr. after conceiving, but apparently that is normal. I've worked through a lot of anxiety as I have always had worries about carrying and delivering and assumed we'd always adopt... needless to say things have changed and I am glad we're here, but still have those moments of worry/panic, esp. when so early, i feel no symptoms for long periods of time. Sometimes I wonder if all our worries could be what causes real pregnancy problems, so am trying to trust God for health and peace... there is no cause to worry.! anyway, congratulations to all!

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#22 of 23 Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 PM

lower back pain and leg tingling! isn't that weird? I googled it and apparently back pain is not unheard of so early. the tingling must be related to nerve issues on the back .... but still strange! sleeplessness.... and tiredness.. mild cravings... had a migraine today and honey was eating sushi and I could not even stand to be moderately downwind of him as I felt like he smelled like lowtide and it made me gag. sushi smell has never bothered me before!

Expecting 1st 5/25/11 after topsy turvy two years of trying. Married to best guy ever. Always <3 .
#23 of 23 Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 AM

I'm going to be a first time mom, too.... I'm sooo excited! By my calculations, I'm due 10/20 and our little one will be the first grandchild on my DH's side.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page