Homebirthing Mama's Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hapersmion, you had your first baby at the Farm? How lucky are you! I am so jealous!
(As an aspiring midwife myself, the Farm is my Mecca. lol)

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

What are you planning on doing at your homebirth that is unique or special? Like any special lighting, music, any special technique for pain relief?
I am planning on a birth tub with HOPEFULLY candles lit, music. . . I dont know how my MW will feel about candles so if she doesnt want them it will be low lighting.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM

I'm hoping for a homebirth but there are no midwives in my area who attend primary HBACs I am looking into unlicensed, "under-the-radar" care but my hubby is a little freaked out by that. I am receiving great care from a group of hospital based midwives but I know the second I walk through the hospital door it will be intervention-crazy no matter what I say. I have already been told that because of the previous c-section I will need continuous monitoring, an IV and cannot eat or drink anything. All the things I think are unnecessary!! Wish me luck convincing my husband that homebirth is the best option!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscompgeek View Post
What are you planning on doing at your homebirth that is unique or special? Like any special lighting, music, any special technique for pain relief?
I am planning on a birth tub with HOPEFULLY candles lit, music. . . I dont know how my MW will feel about candles so if she doesnt want them it will be low lighting.
I will be doing hypnobabies or hypnobirthing (still need to compare the 2 to see which one suits me better), and laboring in water (i'll have to see how the mood strikes at the time before i proclaim for sure that i'll be birthing in water). I will have a doula, and maybe someone else there to take pics. I also plan to call in another lady who does placenta encapsulation.

btw, if you want to avoid candles you can use nightlights, tap lights, a short string of "fairy lights" (like holiday lights) or battery-operated tea lights. (This works great for hospital births too.) IME, HB midwives are very accustomed to working in dim lighting.

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post
I'm hoping for a homebirth but there are no midwives in my area who attend primary HBACs I am looking into unlicensed, "under-the-radar" care but my hubby is a little freaked out by that. I am receiving great care from a group of hospital based midwives but I know the second I walk through the hospital door it will be intervention-crazy no matter what I say. I have already been told that because of the previous c-section I will need continuous monitoring, an IV and cannot eat or drink anything. All the things I think are unnecessary!! Wish me luck convincing my husband that homebirth is the best option!
tracymom, I highly recommend camping out at http://www.ican-online.org for a while to ease your hubby's mind, and get yourself a doula so you can labor (and eat and drink and move) at home for as long as you feel comfortable, then you can avoid any unnecessary time and interference at the hospital when it comes time to move that baby out.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieLiz View Post
hapersmion, you had your first baby at the Farm? How lucky are you! I am so jealous!
(As an aspiring midwife myself, the Farm is my Mecca. lol)
Yep, the story's in my sig! We were really, really lucky to find them, since DS was breech. I had never heard of the place two weeks before the birth!

I'm kind of afraid that I'm spoiled now. I don't want to drive this time, but I want Ina May to come up here and not do anything much, like last time.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Me, me, me! I'm SO excited about our first homebirth! (DS was born at a free-standing birth center.) I'm hoping for a waterbirth this time. I can't wait to pick all your brains about supplies and getting the house ready and generally how to organize for a homebirth. It's going to be so nice not to have to pack everything and the kitchen sink to go to the birth center this time!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 PM

Just wanted to say hello. I'm having a homebirth with a CPM. My first appointment is at the end of March.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 PM

Second homebirth here! :

Taylor, committed to my Soldier. Lovin' my boys. Gabriel ('05) , Xavier ('07) and Mason ('09). Proud HBAC mama x 2.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:49 AM

This will be our first, and we are planning a homebirth. I was worried that my hubby might not want a hb at first, b/c he and 5 siblings were born in hospitals, 2 of his sisters have had scheduled hospital births, one of them has had 2 c-sections, and one is pregnant right now and hospital all the way. But, I was telling him today that I was having second thoughts about a home birth, and he reassured me and said we would be fine and it would be the best way. So, I'm very excited.

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM

Hi homebirth mamas!

We had a homebirth with dd, she was born in the water ($25 blow up "flower" pool from Target), and plan to do the same this time around! Cant wait to hear all your plans!
Old 02-20-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
One thing I've GOT to line up is someone to take pics and videos. I didnt know I wanted such memorabilia with my first (ds) and things went too quickly with my second (dd). Thats my biggest regret in birthing is that we have NONE of it on tape or pics.

We will be in our bedroom/bathroom, probably have the ipod on repeat of my favorites, low lights, birthing ball, birthing pool (blow up baby pool), and perhaps the same candles from dd's birth, the smell still takes me back!!

What do you gals think, new candles for new baby so both experiences will have their own smells, or the old faithful candles that bring so much back to my mind?

i'm hoping my midwife will arrive slightly sooner this time, (she was knocking on my front door and running up my stairs, poping in the bathroom just as dd came out in one painfully beautiful push) but I actually dont want her with me until I ask for her. In retrospect, it was so amazingly intimate, even if frantic for a few minutes, and I'd like to replicate that.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM

I called and made my first midwife appointment today!! I'm very excited, in case the exclamation marks don't give it away.

Landonsmom, I'd wait and see how your feeling the last few weeks before baby comes. Excited and energized? New candles! Tense and unsure? Old candle will all the good memories-- it should help you settle into a good place, right? Look at me go, I've never given birth and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I sure am excited for all my due date buddies!

Did anyone here have a homebirth for their first?

Mamma since 10/22/09
Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 AM

I'm getting nervous! I really want a homebirth this time around. There's one slight issue, though. My husband is in the process of looking for a new job in a new area (3 hours away). I called a midwife in the new area and she still has openings, but I think they were a bit confused by the fact that I don't live there yet. I really hope they take me as a patient even though I'm currently living out of state and my husband doesn't have a job there yet so we don't know what area we'll move to exactly... If they make me wait until we know for certain, it might be a while and I'm worried that all the midwives will be full for October. It seems like midwives are relatively scarce in this area.

I really hope we know one way or another by 12 weeks anyways. I have an appointment with a homebirth midwife in our current area just in case we can't move, but it would be nice to have the same midwife through the whole pregnancy and if he finds something in, say, April or May, we'd move then and I'd have to switch midwives (IF any still have openings, otherwise I'd be stuck at a hospital). I'm really hoping we get some good news soon! He has 3 interviews next week...

I think I'm going to try to meet with some midwives next week and hopefully if I explain the situation they'll still be willing to take me.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
We're aiming for UC #2, but I am researching midwives. As far as I've always understood (assumed?) there is no way to get insurance to cover homebirth midwives. But I've recently been told that might not be true, so I'm going to do some research there. Maybe (?) I'd go for a MW due to my worrisome hemorrhages. I've got to contemplate all that! Have any of you all heard of Blue Cross covering a homebirth?
I'm just joining this thread and trying to read through. Blue Cross covered my hb in 2007 (there are a bunch of different BC plans, though). They are threatening to drop my midwives, though, so I'm afraid I may have to pay at least partly out of pocket this time.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM

OOOH, I hope this thread wakes up again!

I had my first at "home" (it was actually a temporary furnished apartment because we were posted overseas at the time and only here for the birth) and am really excited about the prospect of having this one really at home! I agree with the very first poster - I am a little nervous. I was a bit nervous about labor the first time, but did a lot of reading (especially Ina May Gaskin's birth stories - those were the best!) and figured it would be OK. It HURT like H***! I got through it though. And even though it hurt more and more as labor went on, I didn't PERCEIVE it that way because I somehow got into that zone where it just happened and I stopped being afraid of it or afraid of it getting worse. But still I'm a bit afraid to do it again.

I keep telling myself, though, no one I know who has birthed in the hospital said it didn't hurt (it does hurt, sometimes worse). And a whole lot of their stories sound awful. The worst part of mine was the pain, and that went away as soon as my son was here. And then everything was AWESOME (well, at least for 24 hours or so ). I truly truly loved the first 24 hours of my son's life. No one I know who birthed in the hospital has said that.

At least this time I don't have the performance anxiety that I had last time (everyone was so shocked by the idea of homebirth, I didn't know if I could handle the *embarrassment* of having to transfer - silly silly me). Now I am totally comfortable with the fact that I am choosing to birth at home because it is the best for me and my baby as long as things go well. If things don't go well and we have to transfer, that is just fine. That is an integral part of the plan. (I do get scared reading horror stories, but I try to avoid them!)

Quote:
I read Ina May Gaskins book last night and was reading the stories and little parts of the story like tearing and pressure and ring of fire and all that I kinda started hyperventilating. LOL. It hit me, this is real! I read the book before but I was pregnant yet. While I definetly dont want a hospital birth and am defiently still doing a home birth reality is hitting me, can I really do this? I know I can, lots of women do. Anyways, enough of my freak out.
I am meeting with my midwife for my first appointment March 30th. I will be almost 11 weeks. Im excited, I know it will feel more real once I finally have a appointment and all.
Keep reading the birth stories! I must have read them all 5 times before my first birth and I fully intend to do so again.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Hi everyone! I'm planning my second homebirth for this babe. But this time, I'm totally freaked out about labor. I am terrified of the pain, because I actually know what it feels like now, kwim? And my labor wasn't even that bad, but I keep thinking, what if this time is 100 times worse? Or I have back labor? Instead of being excited I am dreading it.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 PM

To all the mamas planning a homebirth for your first:

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Yes, read. yes, plan. yes, organize. etc, etc, etc, but YOU CAN DO IT!! Our bodies were made for this! The experience of birthing a baby in the intimacy and comfort of your own home, and recovering there with the people who love you and care for you (hopefully folks to help after!) is AMAZING. Yes, transfering is a risk, and it may happen. But dont dwell on it.

:
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 PM

Haven't read the whole thread, just wanted to join in. I am having my 3rd homebirth, this is my 4th child (hubby's second) 1st birth was in the hospital with my ex, and I had wanted a natural birth but it was an awful hospital. Everything ended up fine after 5 days, but it was pretty traumatic during our stay and gave me the will to do the homebirth I really had wanted next time. Another good thing was that my (then husband) and my mom who were my support were scared of homebirth until we went through that experience and then I had everyone behind me. 2nd we went with a midwife and during the pregnancy I left my ex and moved me and 1 year old dd home to my parents. Got a lot more help there! Birthed at my parents home, naturally, with only 45 minutes of hard labor/pushing after we broke my water. (I labored softly for hours before)

My 3rd, is almost 2. My hubby and I went with the same midwife, and I had chiropractic care during the pregnancy as well. We knew that between my fast active labor last time, and the chiro care (midwife had had several births where she missed it because baby came so fast! Including a dear friend of mine.) so we weren't super surprised that after 5 days of prodromal labor my water broke (woke us both up) at 8:00 a.m and Bodhi was born 30 minutes later. Into his Dad's hands. My mom and older kids walked in for the last 5 minutes and midwife got there later and cleaned up!

Sorry, I know you didn't want birth stories here, but these were my experiences and I love to tell them. #4 was a big unplanned surprise, and hubby is still reeling, but I am getting excited. We are planning another homebirth and I just called the same midwife, though we are planning on about 1/2 the visits I usually do. I don't want a total UC, but I don't want to go in every month either. I am planning on a 10 week visit to get the heartbeat and take some tests, then maybe every 6-8 weeks until the last 6.

Can't wait to get to know you all better!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 02-22-2009, 11:20 PM

I have been thinking about this for some time. I had chosen a birth center about 25 mins away, but I really dont want to leave my house and I know I can do this. I am a birth doula and I trust birth, but its easier to believe in others than yourself sometimes, kwim? I guess thats what I have been feeling. I am praying about it and I am going to schedule an interview tomorrow, eeeep! I am so excited. Dh is completely fine with it, he is very supportive, so that is helpful.

Ds's birth was in a hospital, and lets just say hindsight is 20/20.

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 02-23-2009, 12:45 PM

i have had four hospital births. This will be my first homebirth, and I am pretty nervous about it, but not nearly as nervous as the thought of being in the hospital.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMM1117 View Post
I have been thinking about this for some time. I had chosen a birth center about 25 mins away, but I really dont want to leave my house
In the middle of labor (early on but strong) my two main thoughts were, "If I were in the hospital, I would totally be having an epidural RIGHT NOW" and "I am SO glad I don't have to GO anywhere!"

I second previous poster's saying YES, PLAN YOUR FIRST BIRTH AT HOME! If it is what you want, it is what you deserve the first time around. The risks of a hospital birth will only follow you through the rest of your birthing career/life (unnecessary c-section, episiotomy, etc.) A homebirth will not necessarily be perfect, of course, but you will know you did what you could.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbey View Post
In the middle of labor (early on but strong) my two main thoughts were, "If I were in the hospital, I would totally be having an epidural RIGHT NOW" and "I am SO glad I don't have to GO anywhere!"

I second previous poster's saying YES, PLAN YOUR FIRST BIRTH AT HOME! If it is what you want, it is what you deserve the first time around. The risks of a hospital birth will only follow you through the rest of your birthing career/life (unnecessary c-section, episiotomy, etc.) A homebirth will not necessarily be perfect, of course, but you will know you did what you could.

That was completely me...I knew if given the chance I would most likely have given in. I'm weak that way. But it was SO empowering doing it naturally at home! And I had a lot of reservations about a homebirth...till it happened. It was so natural and peaceful and joyous. And just a couple hours after she was born, we were alone with our baby, sleeping in our OWN bed. Same with dd2.

You will NOT regret a homebirth. I know dozens upon dozens of women who have had a homebirth, and not ONE regrets her decision.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 PM

If this isn't an indelicate question, I'm wondering how many of you are paying for your homebirth out of pocket and how many have insurance coverage.

Our last homebirth was 100% covered by insurance. Now we have new insurance and it covers ZERO. :

I'm determined to just pay out of pocket, but DH is waffling.

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM

I am paying out of pocket at first, and then my midwife will bill my insurance company and hopefully we will get reimbursed. It will take a while as I have BCBS and they aren't the best about getting money out to you. :

However, out of pocket, it will only cost us about $3000 and that includes all the labs. This is MUCH less than we paid WITH insurance for my hospital birth.

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM

We have no insurance so will pay 100% out of pocket.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM

My insurance will cover 60% for homebirth, 80% of hospital birth. I'm sure a hospital birth would be so much more expensive it would more than make up for the 20% difference. A rough estimate: $4000*0.4 = $1600 for homebirth. $10,000*0.2 = $2000 for uncomplicated vaginal hospital birth

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM

We are very lucky that our insurance covers almost the whole cost. We pay our midwife an extra $650 because they won't cover her assistant.

I feel horrible for you ladies who have to pay the whole cost! It should be mandatory for insurance to cover.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 PM

If insurance companies actually realized that we are SAVING them money by having out-of-hospital births, they would jump right on it! (Same goes for doula services; doulas can help reduce a LOT of hospital interventions, even epidurals and cesareans, thereby saving insurance companies a pretty penny.) Unfortunately insurance companies are in league with the AMA and big pharma. Keep fighting with them! The more people ask, maybe the more likely they'll be to do their homework on it. (couldn't hurt, anyway)

Old 02-24-2009, 10:48 PM

it's 100% covered for any woman who uses a midwife where i live (ontario). it saves our health care system money.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List