Homebirthing Mama's Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2009, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to join in here if I can. Planning for my 3rd homebirth end of october, 6th child. Also another Utah mom . My journey to homebirthing has been more of a gradual thing, and continues to evolve as time goes by. First homebirth I knew by then it was what I wanted to do, and safest, but paying out of pocket (only $2600, but that was sooooo far beyond what we could afford at the time... we put it on the credit card, and have never regretted it), and it ended up with complications and issues which would have been disastrous in the hospital, but were handled so easily at home.

Second homebirth was an unplanned (but not unwelcome) UC, and this time we're undecided on whether to call the midwife when I go into labor or not. The midwife we've picked out is fine either way, after talking to me and DH (and seeing we really have studied up on everything we can), and this time insurance WILL pay for it, so either way she gets paid, so I don't feel obligated to call her to be there for that. I just truly enjoyed the intimacy last time of having just me and DH, with the kids in the room down the hall sooooo excited. At one point just before he was born, DH went to check on the kids and they were soooo excited... "Mommy sounds like a cow, does that mean our brother's here now?!?!?" I wasn't prepared to have them watch the birth, but I'm glad they got to hear it at least, and know that when Mom gets loud, it means I'm almost done doing the hard work, and baby's almost there, instead of just thinking Mom's hurt, and needs something to make her stop hurting.

So, yeah, coming out of lurker mode after several years of just reading, and looking forward to being part of this community!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM

MamaQuest

If you want to share at some point, I bet all of us would love to hear more about the complications you had at your first homebirth that were handled better at home than they would have been in the hospital.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbey View Post
MamaQuest

If you want to share at some point, I bet all of us would love to hear more about the complications you had at your first homebirth that were handled better at home than they would have been in the hospital.
:

Mama to a sweet baby boy (01/18/08), wife to a sweet and loving husband, blogger:, swimmer:, reader of all things and future IBCLC. Waiting zenfully for my spirit baby to return!
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Planning a homebirth here too It does help a lot that one of my best friends is a certified midwife we haven't discussed too many details yet, but I know I'll be most at ease at home.

my first was born in a birth center--awesome experience
second was in a hospital--very hands-off female doctor, so a decent experience
third was a planned UC-gone hospital transfer--fiasco of hideous proportions.

Since i had planned to UC, I'd never gone to that particular hospital before. Long story short, they treated me like some crackhead off the street. I was 3 weeks overdue and already stressing. DH and I had no local support at the time. Apparently i was in transition before I even got to the hospital. Anyway, healthy baby, and at least they were nice to me the next day.

I will not go thru something like that again--so, yeah, homebirth with midwife and official pregnancy health records, etc...

ETA: we are doing a "barter homebirth"--haven't figured out what my "payment" will be yet tho! We don't have health insurance either. The kids do, but we don't. i might apply for pregnancy medicaid as a backup in case something crazy happen and i need to be somewhere other than at home. hmm.....there's a new birthing center here....i wonder if they take medicaid...

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
:
Well, ok, only one actual "complication" but a few other issues... My first homebirth my son had a fairly severe shoulder dystocia, which in sue-happy Las Vegas would have been a SERIOUS thing in the hospital, but my midwife handled it so smoothly we didn't at the time realize it was an issue that he had been stuck for so long (only through 2 contractions, but... that's an eternity apparently, with head out and shoulder stuck under the bone). Midwife just reached in (ouch) and man-handled his shoulder out.

As for other issues, like I said, it was sue-happy Las Vegas, and the doctors based their practice on that. With each of my previous 3 births, I'd been 2-3 weeks early, and since I have such short labors, and really don't know I'm in labor until transition (contractions hit 5 minutes apart a few months before I give birth and never let up), every single OB I spoke with when we found out we were expecting (all 12 offices I called) said they'd insist on inducing me at 37 weeks, 38 at the VERY latest, due to my history. It didn't matter that I'd just found out I was celiac, and that my resulting diet change was likely to change everything, and that I had a major fear of needles, etc. They WOULD induce at that point, and I would agree to it before they took me on as a client.

My son was born 6 days late, covered with vernix (but still 2 lbs bigger than previous babies), and definitely NOT overcooked. I had measured very small throughout the pregnancy as well, which my midwife kept an eye on but wasn't overly worried about. I doubt the OBs would have been so laid back. Oh, and I seriously doubt they would have allowed me to be on hands-and-knees the entire time, which I think is the main reason things turned out as well as they did with a 15" chest on him, and even if they had "allowed" it, I would not likely have been so unselfconscious about it, or listening to what my body was telling me. So, yeah, Yay for homebirth!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post
If this isn't an indelicate question, I'm wondering how many of you are paying for your homebirth out of pocket and how many have insurance coverage.

Our last homebirth was 100% covered by insurance. Now we have new insurance and it covers ZERO. :

I'm determined to just pay out of pocket, but DH is waffling.
A little late to this question, but just catching up .

We are paying out of pocket. I don't know how we will come up with the money, but hoping something comes up to let us be able to do so . I don't have health insurance, well, I'll probably apply for state insurance just to have it in case, and for the ultrasound, as my hubby wants one of those.

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).
Old 02-27-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaQuest View Post
Well, ok, only one actual "complication" but a few other issues... My first homebirth my son had a fairly severe shoulder dystocia, which in sue-happy Las Vegas would have been a SERIOUS thing in the hospital, but my midwife handled it so smoothly we didn't at the time realize it was an issue that he had been stuck for so long (only through 2 contractions, but... that's an eternity apparently, with head out and shoulder stuck under the bone). Midwife just reached in (ouch) and man-handled his shoulder out.
That's nice to hear! I have read many stories in which midwives handled shoulder dystocia very well (one in which they didn't, but I try to forget that one). This is comforting to me because I know someone who recently had their 2nd in the hospital and the shoulders were stuck and although I don't know the details, both she and her husband seemed pretty traumatized by whatever it was that happened (I have to assume forceps or vacuum or something and a resulting injury to mama ). At first when I heard this story, I'm ashamed to say I was afraid and thought, what if that happened at home? Then I thought about it and realized we'd probably all be much safer at home in that case.

Quote:
As for other issues, like I said, it was sue-happy Las Vegas, and the doctors based their practice on that. With each of my previous 3 births, I'd been 2-3 weeks early, and since I have such short labors, and really don't know I'm in labor until transition (contractions hit 5 minutes apart a few months before I give birth and never let up), every single OB I spoke with when we found out we were expecting (all 12 offices I called) said they'd insist on inducing me at 37 weeks, 38 at the VERY latest, due to my history. It didn't matter that I'd just found out I was celiac, and that my resulting diet change was likely to change everything, and that I had a major fear of needles, etc. They WOULD induce at that point, and I would agree to it before they took me on as a client.
Seriously? That just makes no sense to me. They would induce you just because you tend to go early and fast? How bizzare. Like, they would induce you just so they could make sure you were actually in the hospital when things got going? Or was the celiac causing something else?

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
Old 02-27-2009, 02:54 PM

This is exciting!!!!

We're having a HWB this time. I've had two disappointing hospital births, one empowering and healing birth center birth and this time, because of a move, a birth center is not an option. And for me, a hospital is not an option, so home birth it is!!!

I have a quick question that I keep forgetting to ask the MW: on the list of supplies that I am to be buying, there is listed an unopened package of crazy glue.

Any ideas what this might be used for? DH is convinced it's if I tear - which I won't - but I can't imagine that being safe to apply to broken skin. Yikes!

Katie : Mom to three under four. Yes, i don't sleep often.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_honeyb View Post
If this isn't an indelicate question, I'm wondering how many of you are paying for your homebirth out of pocket and how many have insurance coverage.
Out of pocket. The MW's are in the process of dealing with insurance companies to get them to cover it, but as of now, it's out of pocket.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Ours will pay 100%, for the midwife I'm using anyway.

I totally forgot about DS#3 birth, well not the birth but the complication. He would have been taken from me right away if we were in the hospital.
He was my only early child(by 2 days). Water broke about 30 mins before he was born. M/W was calling her assitant when it broke. I looked behind me(I was on all fours) and the water was green. He was in meconium water for weeks she said. He nails were stained. He was absolutely fine though. Very mucusy but that was it. He just turned 5 last week and we told him that when he was in my belly he pooped in me. LOL He thinks that's the greatest thing ever.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

Old 02-27-2009, 05:04 PM

We're planning our second homebirth!
Hopefully we'll be able to work with the same midwives, but we might fall into the window of time that they aren't available because of a wedding in the fall. I need to confirm that, but my fingers are crossed.
I loved my experience with my first birth. Being in my own quiet space that I had spent time preparing, laboring with just my husband, the patient and gentle care of my midwives, the rush and reward of doing it all naturally, the beautiful first night as a little family with just my husband and our new baby!
I can't imagine doing it any other way.
Can't wait to hear about everyone's experiences too!
Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Seriously? That just makes no sense to me. They would induce you just because you tend to go early and fast? How bizzare. Like, they would induce you just so they could make sure you were actually in the hospital when things got going? Or was the celiac causing something else?

Most of them had no idea what celiac was, even. They were inducing, in my opinion, to make certain I had the baby at the hospital instead of on the way, or *shudder* at home alone! I could understand it, as most people view even the thought of a homebirth with a midwife as something waaaay beyond possible, but... it was not something that had any statistical backing in my opinion, and when I expressed that opinion, wanting to know why they wouldn't just take a wait and see stance, I was told to do it their way or don't choose them, period. It was entirely for their comfort in how they practiced.

And honestly, being celiac makes me even less likely to step foot in a hospital, as I have been told over and over in a few celiac support groups I've been to in the last few moves that hospitals cannot seem to get a gluten-free diet right. I'd have to bring ALL my own food (which might not be so bad, I got left off the food plans the entire time I was at the hospital with #3), and that's at a time when I shouldn't have to worry about things like that, kwim? For those that don't know, celiac is an intolerance of anything with wheat, barley, oats, or rye in it. It was causing some definite malnutrition in me during my previous pregnancies, so I expected to not have my body evict the baby so early once I went on the diet, and was getting the nutrition I needed. I do miss my teeny tiny 5.5 pound babies, though... 7.5-8 pound babies now seem like I've missed out on the newborn stage.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Oh, I also have to say... very very best part of having a homebirth was not having to drive anywhere, before or after. Quick shower, and cuddle with the baby until I feel like getting out of bed again... doesn't get any better than that.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Our insurance pays out at 70%. We will owe a mere $900 for the m/w! That's a lot cheaper than the estimate we got for if we went with a hospital birth (which was never in the plans)

Is anyone else preparing to possibly catch baby without a m/w there? My births were fast...dd1 was 1.5 hours from first contraction to birth. The m/w almost didn't make it. Dd2 was four hours, but that's because they stripped my membranes pretty aggressively because I was so dilated and they are so far away (1-1.5 hours) Once my water breaks I go VERY quickly. And of course this time I'm due right at the full moon! So we're def. preparing to catch the baby ourselves this time.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 02-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaQuest View Post
I do miss my teeny tiny 5.5 pound babies, though... 7.5-8 pound babies now seem like I've missed out on the newborn stage.
i totally felt like i missed out on that stage with my first.
DS was 9lbs and after he finally got the latch figured out (ouch) he put on weight really quickly! i was kind of jealous of my friends who had babes that started small and grew slower.
But nothing beats a healthy baby!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:04 PM

Planning on my first home birth....

If I would like a 20-week ultrasound, would my HB midwife be able to set me up with one? I haven't checked into my insurance, but I'm pretty positive HB isn't covered. Anyone know about this?

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :
Old 02-27-2009, 06:05 PM

I just got off the phone with my insurance company and found out that I have some coverage for my homebirth midwife. After paying a $300.00 deductible my insurance will cover 60% of the "usual and customary cost", not the contracted cost of the services I receive. Of course, they did not tell me what the usual and customary cost would normally be so that may be the stumbling block. Anyone have any experience with this? My midwife charges around $3800.00 for everything. If they were honest and didn't try to schyster me I would only have to pick up $1640.00 of the bill. I have an FSA with $5000.00 in it that would pick that up and I could use the rest of the FSA for massages and chiro throughout the pregnancy. That would sure be nice. We will see how it goes.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowMe View Post
I have a quick question that I keep forgetting to ask the MW: on the list of supplies that I am to be buying, there is listed an unopened package of crazy glue.

Any ideas what this might be used for? DH is convinced it's if I tear - which I won't - but I can't imagine that being safe to apply to broken skin. Yikes!
Do ask your midwife, but I have seen at least one person on these boards mention crazy glue and tears - but I thought they were kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieboo View Post
Planning on my first home birth....

If I would like a 20-week ultrasound, would my HB midwife be able to set me up with one? I haven't checked into my insurance, but I'm pretty positive HB isn't covered. Anyone know about this?
My midwives are covered by my insurance (CNMs who attend at home) and they can refer for ultrasounds. I believe for them the 20 week one is standard.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 PM

I know crazy glue bonds skin but I don't think I would want it down on my torn nether regions. My kids have had cuts put together with dermabond before. Not sure how similar the two glues are.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 02-28-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks for your responses regarding the super glue. I forgot to ask again, but I will let you all know when I find out.

As for the U/S - even though I have a MW and am having a homebirth - since we have insurance through the state, I still have an assigned OB. He is wonderful and is the only dr. in the area that works with MW's. So I actually went to him for the 20 week U/S. Even if I didn't have insurance, most OB's have a cash price for U/S. So you can always call around and ask for prices. Your MW might know of doctors in your area.

Funny that it was mentioned the "missing the newborn stage"..I felt the same way. But it was my daughter who was 7.11 that was my "newborn". My boys were much bigger and I definitely felt I missed out.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:02 PM

my biggest was 9lb 10z. she went right into 3-6 months clothes. Talk about missing the newborn stage! when my son was born a year later at 8lb 11oz I thought he was the tiniest thing I had ever seen! My oldest was 7lb 14oz, I can't imagine how small she would have looked. (she looked normal to me at the time because i had nothing to comare her to.)
Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Hmmm, this discussion is making me worry - I absolutely adored the "newborn" stage, DS was 7 lbs 4 oz. I hope I don't end up with a big baby and feel like I missed out this time...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Super glue IS Dermabond. The only difference is the purple dye! Once they realized that Dermabond could be used for things other then skin they took the coloring out and went marketing it as super glue! I don't think you would need it if you only have little skids but if you had a minor tear then SG would work great and keep you from needing stitches. I think for any major tearing you would probably need someone to stitch you up.

It's so funny, My first was 9lbs 4oz and he was still swimming in his 0-3 month stuff (very long and thin). When my twins were born at 6lbs 7oz and 6lbs 10 oz I was afraid of breaking them! I felt like I had a couple of preemies! It's all in what you're used to I guess. I'm hoping this one is another roly poly, the girls looked like plucked chickens to me!

I wish MA insurance would cover midwives, I was on BCBS last time and they couldn't say they wouldn't cover it but they only covered NMW and they can't catch at home in this state :. I might consider a midwife JIC if it were covered, but not if I have to pay out of pocket.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-01-2009, 12:25 AM

I am planning a homebirth as well, my second, but am thinking about doing a UC birth...still mulling it over, but really intrigued. My partner and I have been planning on going cruising and were thinking of doing it by the end of the summer, so we might have a boatbirth . We'll see how it evolves. Is anyone else thinking about a UC?

doula mama to my turtle love, with a who came when he wanted 9/12/09, 33w 5d, NICU strongman!.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification on SG and dermabond. That dang marketing!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 PM

Actually, Dermabond isn't exactly superglue. I know because my husband used to sell the stuff and we have a stash at home in our first aid kit. : Superglue is very rigid and doesn't flex AT ALL. Dermabond does flex and better mimics the elasticity of your skin. Instead of having a rigid and possibly annoying/painful bond, you have one that moves with your skin.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMom View Post
Actually, Dermabond isn't exactly superglue. I know because my husband used to sell the stuff and we have a stash at home in our first aid kit. : Superglue is very rigid and doesn't flex AT ALL. Dermabond does flex and better mimics the elasticity of your skin. Instead of having a rigid and possibly annoying/painful bond, you have one that moves with your skin.
Now, see, this makes sense. Can a normal person buy Dermabond? Why would midwives tell you to get superglue if there's a medical alternative that would be better?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Sorta off topic question for you ladies...

Say you had a very wonderfule experience with a homebirth. Nothing went wrong. Everything was perfect. But the next time, you had a strong pull towards using an OB and birthing in a hospital. What would you do?

Taylor, committed to my Soldier. Lovin' my boys. Gabriel ('05) , Xavier ('07) and Mason ('09). Proud HBAC mama x 2.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM

No, unfortunately you can't buy dermabond. It is considered surgical, just like sutures, which as far as I know, you also can't buy. But again, we have a stash of sutures in our first aid kit, haha! If you do use superglue just be very very careful to clean the tear/incision. Because the glue actually seals the top layer of skin and you can't access the incision afterwards, if you get an infection it can be pretty nasty.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

Old 03-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor View Post
Sorta off topic question for you ladies...

Say you had a very wonderfule experience with a homebirth. Nothing went wrong. Everything was perfect. But the next time, you had a strong pull towards using an OB and birthing in a hospital. What would you do?
I'd go with the strong pull, unless I could easily explain to myself and work through the reasons for the pull and eventually find the pull disappeared. I've been worried that I'm feeling a little this way myself, but I've realized that actually all that's going on is I am afraid of the pain and a little afraid of all the "things" that can go wrong. But I know that everything I loved about my son's birth would be so different in the hospital and that the hospital cannot guarantee me no pain or even less pain. And I did so much research and soul searching before my son's birth about the "things that can go wrong". Anyway, really what I have is a bit of fear and apprehension about the birth, but NO pull to be in the hospital. So... Yeah, I have some mental work to do in the next 7-8 months, but I figure I'll get there.

Looks from your sig like you've done it both ways, so I'd say you're best qualified to know which way you want to go this time.

User Tag List