1st appointment (when and what) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, but when are you all having your first appointment? With my daughter, I saw an OB and they just did a history with an intake nurse at 8 weeks, then my first actual appointment at 12 weeks. I can't remember, but that may have sent me to the lab for bloodwork at 8 weeks, too. My friend, on the other hand, had her first ultrasound at 8 weeks.

I want to go with a midwife this time (not sure who as we have to figure if we are moving first!) and they don't see you until 12 weeks. Should I see my family doctor beforehand? Not sure what he'd do, but maybe I should get some sort of bloodwork done? I want to have my vitamin D levels tested again since I was low last year and have been supplementing. Could he feel my uterus at this point (I'm 7 weeks) or is it too early?

Just curious what everyone else is doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM

My first appt is at 12 wks. I see a midwife, there really isn't much they can do before they can hear a heartbeat.

Your uterus would be able to be felt during an internal. At this point it's normally not over your pubic bone unless you have had multiple pregnancies.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#3 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM

My first appointment is on the 23rd. I should be eight weeks by that time. My OB does an ultrasound, pelvic exam and bloodwork. I'm really looking forward to it and hoping to hear a heartbeat.

Working mama to a wonderful baby girl. Married to a really sweet guy. Just trying to do my best.

#4 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM

We haven't figured it out yet. We had an OB with our dd and they did the same... nurse intake at 8 weeks and first doc visit around 12 weeks.
Hubby and I are going to interview some midwives when I am 8 weeks.. so if I like them than I will set up an appointment after that I guess.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#5 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to interview midwives at 8 weeks, too. I really hope we get some good news about my husband's job front because we are looking to move and if it looks more solid, I want to see a midwife in the area we'll be moving to from the start (it's only like 3 hrs away and my family is there). Otherwise I guess I'll just see a doctor or midwife here and then transfer if/when we move.
#6 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM

I set up appointments with the midwives I was considering as soon as possible. As far as I'm concerned, it's an opportunity for me to interview them, more than a medical checkup. After I've chosen a midwife, I'll just go in whenever they want.
#7 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM

I just thought I'd mention that in the US it's common during the first OB appt for you to be given one or more cards to fill out for "free samples" or "free magazines" or whatever. Be aware that these will generally result in your name being given to formula companies, and it's likely that you'll end up with free formula samples being sent to your door (soon before birth, around the time your baby will be 6 weeks (when there's a growth spurt and moms are at risk for *thinking* that they're losing their milk supply, although that won't be what's going on), etc.). This will happen even if you check off the "I'm planning to breastfeed" box on the card. Actually, you'll probably get more free formula if you tell them you're breastfeeding, because they know if there's formula in your house, you're more likely to resort to it than if you had to make the decision to go out and buy some.

So, to avoid letting marketers sabotage your breastfeeding relationship, consider refusing to fill out these cards. Or I suppose it could be fun to look up the WHO's address and fill that in, just to point out that this sort of marketing is a violation of the WHO code.

(I should mention that not all OB offices participate in this sort of thing, and there are some midwives who do. Some medical practitioners who allow this to go on in their practice may not even realize what happens with the names and addresses.)

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#8 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 06:30 PM

I never had anything like that happen to me at my Dr appointment, but I live in a area that is extremely pro-bf and the hospital is deemed a "baby-friendly" hospital(one of only a few in our state) so they pride themselves on promoting bf'ding, rooming in and close family contact. I never got anything on formula.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#9 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM

I have my first appointment today- I'm about six weeks. I had an early 2nd trimester twin loss, and after my last miscarriage I had a test done that revealed I may have a uterine septum. I am already busting my tail at work to take time away frequently for my son's medical appointments, so I had to take advantage of today being a work holiday- I am just hoping they can make it worth my while to go in (the last embryo was probably implanted on the septum or scar tissue, so I'd love to have a vaginal u/s to rule that out this time).
#10 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 AM

I just made my first appointment with the mw today, I'll be about 9 weeks then. There really wasn't a reason to make one so early, but I love my mws and wanted to see them sooner!
#11 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 01:16 AM

Shanna! We're in the same DDC! I was considering visiting the former NMY thread and mentioning that I was pregnant... now I wonder if you'll see this!
#12 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 AM

just waiting to hear back from my midwife (my big sister in birth!). but yay, this time around i won't be on a waitlist. with callum i was waitlisted when i called at 5.5wks and was confirmed at 10wks so my first appointment was at 10.5wks. midwives are in high demand in ontario, canada as they are covered by our public healthcare system. but priority goes to return clients. i can't wait to spend time with stephanie again!

this appointment should be a lot sooner. can't wait!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#13 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

I talked to my friend today, who is about 12 weeks pregnant with her first child and using an OB... She went for a first ultrasound at 8 weeks and she supposedly gets another this week and then pretty much one a month until she's in her 3rd trimester, then one every 2 weeks... Does that seem normal??? Or could she just be confused? I've just never heard of someone getting so many ultrasounds. She's not high risk, so is this just something OBs are doing now?
#14 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
I talked to my friend today, who is about 12 weeks pregnant with her first child and using an OB... She went for a first ultrasound at 8 weeks and she supposedly gets another this week and then pretty much one a month until she's in her 3rd trimester, then one every 2 weeks... Does that seem normal??? Or could she just be confused? I've just never heard of someone getting so many ultrasounds. She's not high risk, so is this just something OBs are doing now?
That sounds like a lot of ultrasounds to me. I've had two pretty mainstream PGs before this one too and I didn't have that many. I had one at about 9 weeks with both because of severe pain - to rule out ectopic - and then after that just one around 20 weeks, which is the "routine" one. It sounds like she's having a ton so I'd assume there must be some concern about something going on. Has she mentioned anything?

To the original question, I just called the MW we'd like to use this time to set up a meeting. She's going to review my records and see if we can consider a homebirth or not. I'm really, really hoping we can...this will definitely be our last baby and I want a homebirth so badly. We shall see! I hope she calls back soon!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#15 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM

I called last week and booked my first appt. with my midwives I used last time. It is scheduled for when i'm 8 or 9 weeks. But called today and booked on for next week with another widwife who is willing to do a homebirth for me. I'll be 6 weeks for that one. I'm also waiting for one more midwife to call me. Then i'll book another appt. lol

Quote:
From what I have been reading on more mainstream boards from my last pregnancy, this is becoming pretty common, even for low risk mammas. I know some who had an us for every single appt.

Jamie, busy Mama to my sweet little O Man, loving wife to Brian, and very excited about our new addition, the J Man, here after ourh20homebirth.gif
                                                   Unexpectedly expecting a new little one in November!!!belly.gif
#16 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM

It does depend on the doc if they do that many u/s. I really am not that hip on that personally. I'm waiting until close to when I had my appointment with DD(10 wks). I just don't really feel like there is much to be done anyway. Plus I really hate going to the Dr, and I figure I have to go once a week in the end-I may as well wait a bit here at first. Maybe I'm weird.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#17 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieB View Post
From what I have been reading on more mainstream boards from my last pregnancy, this is becoming pretty common, even for low risk mammas. I know some who had an us for every single appt.
That is just so surprising. I wonder if insurance covers that because it must be really expensive. Not to mention, I was reading this article: http://midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundwagner.asp
It seems to say more is not better when it comes to ultrasounds.

My last pregnancy was totally mainstream with an OB, but we only had one 20-week ultrasound, then 2 more when I was past my due date and my daughter was not really responding during the non-stress test.
#18 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM

i have an apt. with a mw through a hospital set for 2/25 (i'll be 8w5d). i also have an apt. w/ another mw through a birth center in march (they wait until 12weeks to set up an apt.). i found out about the birth center after i had already attended an apt. through the hosp. where they ran bloodwork, so i'll get the results and decide in march which i'll use (i'm hoping the one of the mw's will be able to attend a hb).

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#19 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 05:50 PM

My first appointment is Thursday which is 8 weeks. I'm fairly sure I'll have a ultrasound. I have a reason to be a little concerned about multiples.
#20 of 24 Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My first appointment with my midwives was last Wednesday (4w4d). It was an intake appointment because while I've been in contact with them for awhile, i was officially a patient of theirs yet. They did a fairly thorough history, drew blood, and palpitated my uterus.

My next appt is March 20, and they'll try to listen for a heartbeat at that one.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#21 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
This seems odd to me but I live in Canada and not sure if our public health system would want to routinely cover all these u/s for no apparent reason. I have only ever had dating ultrasounds (since I have irregular cycles and can't depend on them for a due date) and the standard 20 week. I had an extra with ds at the end since he was breech nearing his due date to confirm his position.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#22 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 12:35 AM

I booked in with the midwives that I used for dd hb. Midwives will be covered by public health care (finally) in Alberta starting in April so I wanted to make sure they didn't get booked up. I will be about 10 weeks for that appointment. I am seeing my family physician on Thurs, only because I booked the appointment months ago for my yearly physical so I thought I might as well keep the appointment.

Normally 10-12 weeks for 1st appointment is normal and we usually only have one us at about 18 weeks, unless there are issues with previous or current pregnancies

mum2row DD 3yrs & DS Oct/09
#23 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 AM

I have a appointment with a DR next week, ill be 6 weeks, Then my appointment with my Midwife isnt until 11 weeks.
#24 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 01:49 PM

I'm undecided about what to do, who to see....

We have kaiser insurance and I've never been seen by any dr. since we've had it. I had an annual exam recently with a homebirth mw, whom I had to pay out of pocket. The best part, though, is that she came to my house.

Add to this the fact that in June we'll be moving to a new city, and I'll have to likely deliver in a kaiser facility. Because of complications with my past deliveries (I had one of my twins via emerg c-sec; and my water broke at 33 weeks with my daughter), my dh is not comfortable at all with a homebirth.

I will have to decide whether to find an ob at kaiser for the next 4 months (until we move), and then transfer to another kaiser. Or, pay for 4 months of hb mw care in my home, and then transfer to kaiser when we move. I'm waiting to find out how much she would charge, and if she can do it.

If I go with kaiser now, I will wait until 12 weeks I guess to make an appt. I just don't feel like I'll get the kind of care I want, and I'll have to fight my way through their system. Ugh. So I'm avoiding it.

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page