Food Advice Needed - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need some advice from all of you. Right now just about nothing seems appetizing to me... the only things that have sounded good are water, milk, cereal, toast w/ butter, granola bars, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit... and that's about it. I'm don't have m/s, although I do feel nauseous first thing in the a.m. which gets better if I eat right away. I'm running into issues where I feel like I'm not eating enough and when I don't have something I can feel my legs getting a little weak, like my blood sugar level is tanking. Meats don't sound appetizing to me either right now. If any of you are in the same boat what are you eating? I need some ideas

At home mommy to Paige 2004, Sydney 2006 and Cole 2009 :
#2 of 27 Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM

I am sort of in the same boat. I get really hungry, but then NOTHING sounds good. I eventually eat something, and feel better, but the whole deciding what to eat is challenging. I don't even have any quiziness or anything. Just food indicisiveness!

Anyway, I eat a lot of hummus and carrots, granola with whole milk, A LOT of fresh fruit (when in doubt have an apple or orange or something), multigrain bread with avocado spread on it, and I've actually been into salads (salads with chicken on top, etc.).

Whenever I'm hungry but can't figure out what to eat, I make myself a cup of Pregnancy tea until I decide on something. The tea is soothing and warm and helps tie me over!

Good luck...

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#3 of 27 Old 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm totally there. I am starving, but nothing sounds good. Or I will smell something cooking and it will smell great, but still don't want to eat it. What I have been doing is drinking a glass of whole milk or kefir first thing in the morning. It settles my stomach. Then I kinda force an egg. I pack a bunch of food for the day and take it to work. I have to make sure and eat every 1.5 hours or I start to get sick. If I keep eating consistantly, I keep an appetite. As soon as I stop eating from more an my 1.5-2 hours limit, I get a little sick and nothing sounds appealing.

Keeping something in my stomach at all times has worked for me.

My family = Me + DH plus new babe 5/12 make 3 buddamomimg1.png

#4 of 27 Old 02-19-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! I have found a few more things that seem to taste good right now. I just want to make sure I'm eating enough, you know?

#5 of 27 Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 AM

I also was not hungry while preg, but had problems if I did not eat enough protein. I also ate a lot of hummus. I got tired of eggs and meat was not that appealing.
#6 of 27 Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 AM

I have had that problem with all of my pregnancies. If I don't eat enough I can feel my blood sugar drop. Usually a glass of milk will bring it back up until I can find something to eat.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#7 of 27 Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I never thought of milk... great idea... especially since that's one of the things I can drink right now. My husband suggested peanut butter... but given what's going on lately with peanuts I was a little leary (although I do realize now that I guess peanut butter isn't what was affected by the recalls?)... so I might pick some up... since that sounds pretty good too and I'm sure that would help when I start feeling weak.

#8 of 27 Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Ugggh I have this problem. I lots of nausea though- I can't cook anything- If I do I gag over it and can't it eat.... Normally we eat really healthy with me cooking all our meals. Lately I have been eating frozen pizza, take out and fruit.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#9 of 27 Old 02-20-2009, 01:38 PM

I am starting to get early morning queasiness. I doesn't help that DP bought plug in air fresheners for the house. I drank some ginger tea and it helped. My appetite is in the toilet though. I've been liking bananas, milk, frozen yogurt, and I've been craving meat which sucks because I am a vegetarian.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#10 of 27 Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
I am starting to get early morning queasiness. I doesn't help that DP bought plug in air fresheners for the house. I drank some ginger tea and it helped. My appetite is in the toilet though. I've been liking bananas, milk, frozen yogurt, and I've been craving meat which sucks because I am a vegetarian.
Oh Boy I know that air fresheners would send me over the edge. Dh's body spray Really really pushes me over the edge. Pretty much any strong smell period makes me sick.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#11 of 27 Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM

The plague really hit me about a week ago, and I have had a very small appetite since then. Meat sounds absolutely terrible!!!!! I have pretty much been living off of carbs--bagels, brown rice, spaghetti noodles, pretzels--and fruit. The last couple of days, though, I have had soup, which has been really good for me. It's a great way to stay hydrated and get some nutrition. Today I'm going to get some hot and sour on the way home from work.

I tried the milk idea, and it did not sit well. Creamy soups have been out of the question, too.

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
#12 of 27 Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm curious if anyone is with me on this one... given it seems alot of us are in the same boat about what we have an appetite for lately. I had all intentions of trying to eat healthy and everything, but am finding that I'm abandoning all that honestly at this point for anything... anything at all that even sounds the least bit appealing as opposed to what is healthy. Anyone else?

#13 of 27 Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 PM

I feel like you have to almost force yourself to eat something healthy. If you do, you will feel better. It seems a lot of women are craving carbs but I think indulging in this craving might make things worse. You get a blood suger spike from the carbs, then crash, creating the need for more carbs to give you that next spike. If you find yourself always reaching for the bagels/pasta try to balance it out with fats and protein so our blood sugar doesn't spike and crash. Add lots of butter and full fat cream cheese to the bagels. Eat the pasta with meat/cream sauce or lots of olive oil.

Often, I don't feel like eating piece of meat and greens and cooked for dinner but when I force myself to take a bit, and then wait a minute, my appetite returns and I devour the whole thing.

#14 of 27 Old 02-24-2009, 03:42 PM

You could try snacking on fruits and vegetables in between meals so you don't feel that way. With my second pregnancy I actually fainted a couple of times from not eating enough!

Also, if you can't eat meats, eat lentils/beans so you can get some protein.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#15 of 27 Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM

Same here. Carbs are what sounds good to me at the moment. It was like this in my first pregnancy, too. I lived on potatoes, baked chicken, bread and fruit popsicles my first tri. Once the m/s lifted, I really craved yogurt and spinach. I ate so much better in the 2nd and 3rd tri than in the first.

A friend of mine was so sick that her midwife told her to eat only what she could stomach. It turned out that all she could eat was rich vanila ice cream and animal crackers. So, she lived on that for the first tri, and she ended up having a healthy preg and healthy baby.

I think it's very common in the 1st tri to be turned off veggies and meats. But, morning sickness seems to be helped if you can eat a little protein. I try to eat a little cheese or peanut butter with my breakfast to settle my stomach.
#16 of 27 Old 02-24-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for everyone's advice, this past couple of days the eating seems to have gotten better... peanut butter has been really good, baked potatoes too... so improvement. And I'm even making stuffed shells w/ meat tonight... so I'm doing much better

#17 of 27 Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
I am sort of in the same boat. I get really hungry, but then NOTHING sounds good. I eventually eat something, and feel better, but the whole deciding what to eat is challenging. I don't even have any quiziness or anything. Just food indicisiveness!
at every meal dh plays a guessing game to see what i'll eat.
i have found apples or bananas with peanut butter are one protein i can handle (meats make me queasy). the last few days i had a egg sandwich for breakfast too. i also have been into carbs (yum cereal).

Angel (30), dh (31) (kd to H. 4/25/07 & K. 5/23/11), Vladimir 10/17/09 & Nikolai 7/6/11

#18 of 27 Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_stinkyfeet View Post
Oh Boy I know that air fresheners would send me over the edge. Dh's body spray Really really pushes me over the edge. Pretty much any strong smell period makes me sick.
*Update* I removed the air fresheners, put them in a plastic bag and hid them in a closet. I found out they are toxic, esp. bad for pg women and babies.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#19 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 01:45 PM

I find that i get ravenously hungry, then I eat a bit too much and feel totally completely overfull!!! I never seem to know what I want.
I was never queesy last time but this time i'm feeling a bit like that.
#20 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
*Update* I removed the air fresheners, put them in a plastic bag and hid them in a closet. I found out they are toxic, esp. bad for pg women and babies.
Good I am glad you got rid of them! Now if I could only convince my dh to get rid of that nasty body spray I would be set too!

#21 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_stinkyfeet View Post
Good I am glad you got rid of them! Now if I could only convince my dh to get rid of that nasty body spray I would be set too!
I had to ask my DH to use a different facial soap, and he gladly complied. So far, he hasn't complained about anything. Amazing.

evenstarlight: That is how I was feeling too. Starving, but then sick after everything I ate. What a cruel, cruel joke. I especially get really sick if I eat too much, just like you said. My sickness gets especially extreme after 3PM or so, and I can pretty much only eat a popsicle after that, so I try to eat as healthily and as often as I can before that--and I pretty much have to choke whatever it is down. Now I have a prescription for an anti-nausea med, so hopefully that will be changing soon. It's funny, I would have prayed for a decreased appetite in the hopes of loosing weight before getting pregnant. Maybe this is my payback for not loving my body the way it is, or something.

Finally, about the carbs. I was reading on a website about extreme nausea and vomiting, that eating carbs, fruits, and veggies is usually the best thing for an upset stomach (remember the BRAT diet?). But I think it's true that if you can squeeze some protein and healthy fats in there too, you will not have to eat as often and won't have the sugar spike, like the pp said.

I hope we will all be out of the woods on this very soon. Trying to stay positive about it, though, has been very hard for me. It's so demoralizing to feel sick day after day after day. At a couple of points, I've been ready to throw in the towel. I keep reminding myself that it will all be worth it once I am holding my little baby.

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
#22 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Oh yeah! To me, nothing sounds or tastes good either... but I think I figured this out!
I have been on this noodle fest, and that was just not working really. Protein!! Eat foods that are high in protein, beans, nuts & nut butters, hummus, etc. I stocked up on those Boca chick'n patties and some beans, etc. (I'm veg, so meat is always unappealing) And it is working big time! I still have to eat OFTEN!! Like every hour or two max! But since I can't stand to cook real food, I'm resorting to the not so healthy but good protein foods like the Boca Chick'n patties and veggie burgers (not always the healthiest choice, but it's quick and easy). Also!! I just talked to my dear sweet kind midwife (can you tell that I really like her?), and she confirmed the protein thing and said that protein doesn't spike your blood sugar levels, and will help even out the nauseous feeling, especially if you eat in regular intervals. Also!! (sorry for the long post) she said to be sure to drink lots of water as it helps cleanse your overworked (due to pregnancy) liver. And if you can add a wedge of fresh lemon to your water that will help clean the accumulation of hormones from your liver and will help you to feel good. So, I'm excited about that. I don't feel 100% and still feel icky, but at least I'm not having to stay in the horizontal position. I actually cleaned the house and mopped today!! YAY! Shew!! I'm ready for a nap though.... :yawning:

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#23 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Fake meat probably is not so good, especially the GMO soy stuff. Green veggies, if eaten in quanity, are actually pretty high in protein. As is spirulina. A good greens powder in a smoothie can be a good way to get protein.

I think if you're craving meat, even if you're a vegetarian, you might want to listen to your body and find the most humanely raised meat you can and eat a tiny bit. You might need something in it, like zinc (zinc deficiency is quite common in pregnant women, and it's hard to find zinc in plant foods without a lot of copper, which competes with zinc). Pumpkin seeds have a lot of zinc in them, but they also have copper in them.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#24 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 08:17 PM

I am most definitely NOT craving meat, just quick protein. They don't use GMO soy btw.
I do like the spirulina suggestion, and am eating loads of veggies and fruits.

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#25 of 27 Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM

Cinnamongrl, I've been feeling the same way. I'm vegan, and determined to stay with it through pregnancy, but my body is definitely wanting something other than the carbs I've been loading up on.

What has really been helping me over the last few days is sipping an Odwalla soy protein drink throughout the day. They are high calorie (380 for the whole bottle), but very high in protein and also B vitamins. They definitely help to stabilize my blood sugar levels, keep me from feeling too nauseous, etc.
#26 of 27 Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM

I do traditional foods, a la Weston Price. I know I am just repeating what has already been said, but I have to eat small amounts all day, before I get too hungry. I have had pregnancies where I loaded up more on carbs, becuase they sounded better, but it just doesn't work in the long run for me. Protein Protein Protein!

Things I eat every day-

Start with yogurt, whole milk, plain, with a little Super Seed (this is awesome stuff, check it out. It's whole food, a bunch of sprouted grains, seeds, probiotic, cinnamon and a little stevia. Gluten free, allergen free. it is so great.)
I do drink a latte with raw milk. I probably wouldn't have to manage the ms as much if I didn't but its ok right now and I love my latte.
2 fried eggs in butter or lard

then later

cheese, almonds, and 1/2 an apple

leftovers for lunch (usually meat or beans, vegetables and a grain, or a salad with boiled eggs, homemade oo vinegrette, a little cheese and meat)

afternoon, I drink a smoothie with milk, pb, frozen strawberries and banana, or I eat a scoop of peanut butter and a glass of milk.

Dinner is classic stuff, tacos, gf homemade pizza, pasta with meat sauce, grilled meats and salad, soups, etc.

I have to eat a snack before going to bed, usually a glass of milk and pb.
And I keep almonds by my bed.

Whew! This has REALLY helped this pregnancy, my ms is pretty well under control so far!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#27 of 27 Old 02-26-2009, 01:58 PM

BellaBabe - me too. Raw milk has been my saving grace. Also, I have to eat every hour, sometimes just a bite of food every few minutes. I forgot to pack my soft boiled egg this morning and I am so upset. It never failes to settle the stomach. Funny how my comfort foods have changed. Are you in the NewWAPHB yahoo group? I post under nrscase.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page