Anyone here planning on cloth diapering? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 70 Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We will be doing prefolds at first, then my bf is giving me her stash of pocket diapers.

JenaMom to ds & dd Proud to
#62 of 70 Old 02-24-2009, 03:59 PM

So, I already have 13 regular-size prefolds in great condition from DS, but my friend tells me it's a good idea to get infant prefolds. I guess the regular ones are pretty huge - anyone know how long the infant ones are likely to fit?
#63 of 70 Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM

Ok ladies, I'm really interested in doing this. I have never cloth diapered, but I did research so I know *some* of what I need.

What I'm wondering is, does it make sense to invest in it, since this is my last babe? I think I'll be doing prefolds and maybe get some AIOs, but the prefolds look so hard to wrap around them. What do you do when you've got a squirmy infant?

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

#64 of 70 Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Have cd'd ds since birth except for the past couple weeks and when I was pg last fall (nausea just too much to bear during the rinsing and too tired to do the extra laundry). I love the look of fitteds and aio's, but I don't think I will do anything but prefolds this time. I made some poopockets for ds and used them a few months. They were great at holding the poo in (I agree with the posters who point out cloth is much better at keeping the poo off of clothes - disposables are NOT good at infant poo). But they were not so fun to wash and dry and they took up a lot of space because they couldn't be folded very flat. I also was a little too crunchy and made them from organic hemp terry - sounded great but turned out to be stiff and way too thick for comfort, really.

I am now using BluePenguin's wraps that can be washed and dried on hot, which is fabulous. They work well on DS now. I don't know about newborn. I used a diaper service for the first 2 months, but I don't think I will this time. I want to get better quality prefolds this time and in two sizes (I've been using the Gerber ones from Target : and they are just a bit too small now and have never been super soft or lovely). Favorite prefolds anyone? I'm willing to spend a little money to get nice ones. Figure I need 24 at first to be safe.

I'm not too worried about meconium, but what about belly button healing? We started off with cloth and covers that were made for "newborns" and had a little "U" cut out, but they were still too big and rubbed his little stump and it never healed on its own, we had to have it cauterized and I felt bad For that reason, I was thinking about doing disposables for the first week or until the cord fell off. Thoughts?

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
#65 of 70 Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM76 View Post
Ok ladies, I'm really interested in doing this. I have never cloth diapered, but I did research so I know *some* of what I need.

What I'm wondering is, does it make sense to invest in it, since this is my last babe? I think I'll be doing prefolds and maybe get some AIOs, but the prefolds look so hard to wrap around them. What do you do when you've got a squirmy infant?
Yes, you will save money! Yes, your baby's skin will thank you!

I LOVE prefolds. If your babe is squirmy, make up songs, make funny faces, eat their toes, and learn how to whip a snappi on really fast. You'll get really fast in no time.

Plus, cloth diapers have pretty good resale value!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#66 of 70 Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM

My first in 1989 had prefolds and pins. My last in 2003 had fuzzybunz, but they smell and stain easily so I started using prefolds and wraps. Love them! Now even trimmer contours with wraps are what Im getting for this baby. I love cloth diapers.
#67 of 70 Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadbey View Post
Favorite prefolds anyone? I'm willing to spend a little money to get nice ones. Figure I need 24 at first to be safe.

I'm not too worried about meconium, but what about belly button healing? We started off with cloth and covers that were made for "newborns" and had a little "U" cut out, but they were still too big and rubbed his little stump and it never healed on its own, we had to have it cauterized and I felt bad For that reason, I was thinking about doing disposables for the first week or until the cord fell off. Thoughts?
My favorite prefolds are Swaddlebees. They are unbleached, so it takes A LOT OF HOT WASHES to get them to quilt up, but they have lasted through two babies and still seem new, whereas other prefolds I've used have gotten thin and worn out.

For newborns we've used Kissaluvs fitted diapers (with the fold-down "U" in front) with Newborn size Proraps (again with the dip in front). We had no problem with these rubbing on either baby's cord stump. (They were 7lbs 4oz and 8lbs 9oz respectively, if that matters).

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#68 of 70 Old 02-26-2009, 04:23 PM

Ugh, I'm having so much trouble not going out and buying all my diapers right now! I want to wait and give my parents a chance to give me some. But I'm on ebay and diaperswappers.com every day looking for deals.

Oh, has anyone seen these? Today was the first I heard of them - organic BumGeniuses with snaps and interior flaps, one-size! http://www.squishytushy.com/index.ph...roducts_id=877

I'm all excited! I didn't like the original one-size BumGeniuses that my friend used, so that's the only qualm I have, but still... They look like exactly what I want.
#69 of 70 Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 PM

I love the one-size snap diapers after the newborn stage (newborn size prefolds with pins). I've used those newborn prefolds as inserts and now as clean up rags, so they were well worth buying.

My favorite covers are all wool - short nappy pants by Ruskovilla Oy (softest), aristocrats, disana, and of course the recycled wool longies that double as pants! For diapers and covers, I had problems with the velcro giving DS a rash so I always opt for snaps now.

And, I so much recommend EC from birth. DS was potty trained with no problem by around 22 months.
#70 of 70 Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 PM

oh yeah, cloth is a given for us i already have a good stash of cute medium dipes (Lucy's Hope Chest and BumGenius), and when they are tiny, I prefer prefolds anyway. I just gave away my infant prefolds last month, but the person I gave them to needs 'em more than I do I will just buy some newborn/small covers and another two dozen infant prefolds and I'm set.

Unless:

1. this newbie is a boy. i have pink sparkley unicorn diapers

2. my 21 month old is still using diapers. my other two potty learned really early--and i just haven't had time to work on it at all with her yet.

...please, please let her pottytrain before i am faced with two in diapers!!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page