Anyone here planning on cloth diapering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With Ds I started later on so I missed the whole newborn time for cding. I liked Fuzzi Bunz and Bumgenius and Swaddlebees with Ds. What are you ladies planning on using for newborns?

homeschool.gif mama to DS6modifiedartist.gif and DD1fly-by-nursing1.gif
#2 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 10:29 AM

I could have written the same post! We didn't start CDing until DS#2 was about 5 months so the newborn phase is very new to me too. I found a great store on ebay though when I bought DS's first stash to get started and I think I'll use them again but just in NB size. I'm not sure if we're just going to use prefolds and snappis though - i'd like to get some of the dipes with the velcro already on the side and then just throw a cover on them. DP is more likely to help when they're like that too.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#3 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM

I have seriously thought about using cloth diapers but something inside me keeps holding me back. Im not sure why. I know DH would be ok with it. It feels like alot of money to put out all at once, I know it will be cheaper in the long run though. I though I could save money by using the dipes on the next baby but I have read alot of people saying that there dipes are done after one child?
#4 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 AM

We use prefolds with pins. We have a dz fitteds to use out of the house. For a newborn we have Kissaluv 0s and then we go into Little Beetle Hemp Lites size 2 (I think that is the size). We use wool exclusively.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#5 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 10:59 AM

I didn't start until DS was about 7 months or so but he was still exclusively breastfed so the washing all worked the same as far as the poop was considered. I love the Bumgenius. I will use them with the next baby. I love cloth diapering!!! I did talk to a mama IRL who had a newborn and she was using them and she said she loved them and they worked great! I am excited to use them this next time!!!
#6 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 11:25 AM

We'll use prefolds and covers from the start. Have a few small pockets, some small fitteds, but mostly prefolds in the beginning. Just easier. Wash, dry, dump into basket, pull one out and stick on baby!

I have some various covers, some wool, too.
#7 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM

I plan on cloth diapering, though I may wait until the meconium clears, I hear that's difficult to clean. I started cloth diapering my daughter when she was maybe 2 months old, but we'd use both cloth and disposables until she got a bit older. We also used EC with her starting around 3 months which was awesome (trust me, not as weird as it sounds. When she was just in diapers, she pee or poop whenever I took her diapers off or the second I put a new one on, so instead I started sitting her on a little potty and it saved us some diapers!) We used only fuzzi bunz to start with, then when she got a bit older we tried prefolds with a cover which I actually really liked. I think the new bamboozle ones, I might try those. I also traded someone some of my small fb for some of her swaddlebees (the terry cloth kind that need a cover, but they snap shut) so I'll try those.
#8 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM

I cloth diapered from the beginning once the mec was gone. Another mom in this DDC, Jillybeans, had a really good idea for handling that though. She said she bought some fleece from the fabric store and cut it into little rectangles to put inside the diapers and then just through the fleece away. It protected her diapers nd the newborn baby skin sisn't have to have anything scratchy against it.

I used Snap-EZ and Fuzzibunz and loved both although the fuzzibunz were more absorbent. CDing is so fun.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
#9 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM

I've CD'd two newborns and had no problems with meconium staining. I rub the baby's tush with olive oil or apricot oil at every diaper change so the meconium easily wipes away and doesn't stick to their sensitive skin.

We've used prefolds and Kissaluv 0s both times before. I need to replace the elastic on all of them between being used by 2 babies and accidently being stored in the attic over the summer, the elastic crunches. Easy enough job and I have 9 months to get it done, right!?

We use wool soakers and longies, mostly knit by me.

When they start being mobile, I'm all about the pocket diapers!

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#10 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 12:43 PM

Definitely a cloth diaper user here!! I LOVE them. We use prefolds and a variety of different covers. However, everytime I use a pocket or fitted diaper I am disappointed by them (just used to prefolds I guess).

We started DD on cloth from the very start, but I actually don't have the newborn size because we had a service for the first few months (which my parents wanted to pay for)! It will be fun to buy the newborn size. We have a great cloth-diapering store here in Boston. I'd rather support a local business than an on-line store, so we'll buy them there.

mrscomgeek...don't hesitate!! seriously, I don't know why more people don't use cloth. I think it is just nerves about the "unknown". Cloth is, IMO, just as easy as disposeable. You still have to put them in a plastic bag when you're out, you still have to change the poopy diaper (that's the hardest part). The only so-called worse thing is that you have to deal with washing them yourself (which is really not that bad....especially in the newborn stage). The benefits WAY outweigh the cons. You WILL save money, even with the large upfront cost. You save your baby's bottom from being exposed to harsh chemicals, that have been proven to lead to all types of scary things (research it). You save literally BILLIONS of trees with just your ONE child. You save our landfills from being filled with outrageous amounts of poopy diapers (this, too, will blow your mind if you research it), which in turn saves tax dollars. I can go on...but will stop myself. Good luck, and I hope you and your DH consider it seriously!

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#11 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM

I forgot to mention that even though our diapers have only gone through one child, they are still perfectly fine for many more. We use non-bleached prefolds (called Indian prefolds).

The only thing I could ever see replacing is the covers. I still plan on using the old ones, it just seems like a nice idea to get a few fresh ones for the new little one. Especially the toddler sized covers...they get a little more stained from all that toddler poop!

#12 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM

I am! I'm going to be using prefolds at first, but we'll probably buy some with velcro etc for at night and when the baby is older. Last time I found that she got too big for prefolds around four months or so...I can't remember it's been so long! (it might have been earlier).

Oh...mrscompgeek I'm planning to reuse the prefolds we used last time, but we didn't use bleach on them to clean them. I know people who have used bleach say they don't last as long.
#13 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 01:06 PM

For a newborn I'll just use prefolds and covers when we go out, fitteds and nothing when at home, fitted and wool at night.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#14 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the kick in the pants! Lol.
i have looked at the greenmountain.com prefolds and it would be cheap enough. I also liked the thirsties covers. It definetly is the "fear" of the un known. That and where I live in not very "green" friendly and I am sure I would be considered the weirdo. I shouldnt worry what people think of me though should I.
#15 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM

I used prefolds and mostly wool covers, never liked other diapers. I'll do the same with this babe as well as EC.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#16 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Definitely CDing too.

We've gone through 2 kids in dipes now, so we'll do it again. We use mainly CPFs and Prowraps covers for newborn/small. I have 4 bumgeniuses we'll use when we're out and about. . . and then about 11 FuzziBunz in M/L/Petite Toddler for when the babe's older. Chances are good I'll buy some more along the way, though, as I'm really itching to get some new dipes.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#17 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 PM

I've CDed since my first child was born. I mainly use prefolds or homemade pocket stuffers (sherpa, microfiber and flannel... or what ever I had laying around the house). Those diapers last forever, and 3 years later after almost continuous use they are still in good shape. If you use aplix covers or anything with elastic, expect them to not last so long. Aplix gets full of nasties (esp if you accidently put a sposie wipe in the wash) and elastic dies quickly. I also have found that PUL has a relatively short life too. If you want something that is SURE to last I'd go with prefolds and wool soakers. If you want cute, there is no end to the cuteness available. This baby is going to be in prefolds at first (probably some daddy flats too!) with Merino Wool Longies. Once those are outgrown s/he'll get the twin's fuzzibunz and then back to wool and prefolds LOL!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#18 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM

This will be my first time CD a newborn ( we started a little after dd was 1). I plan to use a bit of everything . I already have a bunch of BG, some cricketts and a few other fitted diapers and mostly pre folds when at home. I will probably wait till the baby is a few weeks and I am feeling good before I start using them though. Seriously though- with infants and breastmilk poo- do you just throw them in the machine? with dd I dump and swish her poopy diapers in the toliet to get rid of 99% of the poop first and then they go to an open dry pail until washing day.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#19 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmama2 View Post
Seriously though- with infants and breastmilk poo- do you just throw them in the machine? with dd I dump and swish her poopy diapers in the toliet to get rid of 99% of the poop first and then they go to an open dry pail until washing day.
I never rinse ebm poos. I start plooping and swishing when they get solids which for us is a year. It's a nice year not having to swish.

Heathertreehugger.gif

#20 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 02:06 PM

I'm going to cloth diaper as soon as I'm out of the newborn stage, actually. I don't want to buy a whole bunch of diapers that only get used for a few weeks.

Or will I make them?

Decisions, decisions...
#21 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 02:11 PM

I found that even if babe takes a little formula as long as they get MOSTLY mama milk they will just wash clean. Ditto on the mushy solids stage. Once they start eating real food then I start swishing in the toilet. Easy peasy.

As for wasting the diapers in the early days, you really don't! Infant prefolds work GREAT as doublers later on! If you pin them on, you don't need more then 3 or 4 covers. If anything it's the BEST time, because their skin is so sensative at that youn age that you are more likely going to get diaper rash probs.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#22 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmama2 View Post
TSeriously though- with infants and breastmilk poo- do you just throw them in the machine?
I did a rinse cycle in the machine prior to washing.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#23 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
This will be baby #5 in cloth from day one.

I've only ever used prefolds though, nothing fancy. Sometimes I've washed them, sometimes we have a diaper service. Back in the day I used pins & rubber pants, these days I get the luxury of Snappis & nice velcro covers.

We're hardcore. We brought cloth diaps to the hospital every time, AND travel with a suitcase full of clean/dirty diapers. We got a good chuckle out of wondering what the airport personnel made out of our suitcase full of stanky diapers when it was searched on one of our last flights home. heehee.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#24 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM

i didnt start cding until DD was 10 mo. i have os aio so the new one will be CD but i will use the free dipes from the hospital till they are gone. Meconium is so sticky i cant see it coming out of dipes well. plus, until a week after the babe is born i wont want to do laundry.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#25 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 03:46 PM

I know for sure that we'll be cloth diapering from day 1. (Oxy-clean gets meconium out, btw.) I'm still getting used to all the CD options out there, spending a lot of time in the CD forum and reading up. don't know yet which ones I'll like the best. It's a big investment to even "shop around." I hope I can find some good deals. I wish we could EC this one, but DH is still in school and I am working full-time until he graduates, so baby will have to be in childcare. It will be hard enough to find a babysitter who doesn't freak out about cloth! Wish I could afford AIO's, but I'm drawn to fitteds and prefolds.

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
#26 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 04:50 PM

I make my own dipes and covers. I put the little snaps on them at different places (or the velcro) so they can be used for various ages. You can also run the velcro all the way across the top on the covers and those can go from size to size as well.

Jillybeans, we used the fleece doubler idea the entire time dd was in cloth dipes. I got the cheap bits on the remnant table and if the poo was BAD, I just flushed what I could and threw away the rest.

If anyone has a crochet/sewing pattern for dipes/covers, I'd be VERY interested!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#27 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM

I'm planning on CDing with LO. I'm planning on using prefolds and mostly wool covers and longies but will also probably have some fitteds and AIO's for use by those who aren't comfortable with cloth, like babysitters and day care, etc. I have to start knitting so that I have a good supply of covers by October!

Erin , loving wife to Dave, mom to 3cat.gif, angel.gifangel.gifDec. '06, angel.gifOct. '08, DD Reagan Oct. 3, 2009

and DS Jack April 4,2012

#28 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM

zjande...this is only our second, but we too are hardcore about CD. I've never even once put a disposable on my kid. We've gone over seas a few times, and the huge bag of dirty diapers always puts a smirk on my face when we reach customs!! I second Snappis and velcro covers!! Makes life so much easier...even though we have pins and rubber pants at the bottom of the drawer.

I have a question for those of you who have cloth diapered more than one child at once....Do you wash both children's diapers together?? or do you wash the newborn diapers separate from the nasty toddler pile?

And I have a comment about getting stains out....Bleaching is not a great idea, and will eventually break down the fabric in your prefolds. When my CD are in need of a little freshening...I line dry them on a bright sunny day. Does the trick everytime. I use Charlie's Soap to wash everything. What does everyone else use? Just curious...

#29 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post

I have a question for those of you who have cloth diapered more than one child at once....Do you wash both children's diapers together?? or do you wash the newborn diapers separate from the nasty toddler pile?
I was anal and washed separately.

Heathertreehugger.gif

#30 of 70 Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preggymeaggy View Post
zjande...this is only our second, but we too are hardcore about CD. I've never even once put a disposable on my kid. We've gone over seas a few times, and the huge bag of dirty diapers always puts a smirk on my face when we reach customs!! I second Snappis and velcro covers!! Makes life so much easier...even though we have pins and rubber pants at the bottom of the drawer.

And I have a comment about getting stains out....Bleaching is not a great idea, and will eventually break down the fabric in your prefolds. When my CD are in need of a little freshening...I line dry them on a bright sunny day. Does the trick everytime. I use Charlie's Soap to wash everything. What does everyone else use? Just curious...
I use regular Tide powder.. once in a while I use Tide with Bleach alternitive.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page