Any other students??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in grad school and will be finishing my last semester of classes when this baby is born. How I am going to work the baby in my schedule is going to be a miracle, but hopefully will work out of. Needless to say I am really nervous. Any other student mommas in this DDC? I would love to know how everyone else is handling a baby coming in the middle of classes and semester.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#2 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Not a student but a teacher - and I have no CLUE how I'm going to handle my fall semester. I'd like to keep teaching the 3 classes I normally do, but I don't get time off work, so basically I'd have to find a sub for a week and then be right back in the classroom! I'm only there 2 mornings a week, but even that is a lot.

How many hours are you planning on taking as a student in the fall?

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#3 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 06:25 PM

With my second daughter, I was just finishing up on my associate's degree in accounting. I kid you not, I took my laptop to the hospital and was doing homework and breastfeeding right after we both came out of the OR. It was a sight I'm sure! (My OB joked and said that's what she called dedication.) When we came home a few days later, I began working on my BS degree and continued taking care of her as well. Of course, once I became pregnant I switched to an online university versus a traditional university. Most traditional universities around here won't allow you to attend after 24-28 weeks.

Once you have your baby, you will find a way. The way I did mine I lost a tremendous number of credit hours, but it was worthwhile as it allowed me to stay at home with my daughters, breastfeed the baby, and care for them while earning my degrees. It was very rewarding. Trust me, if there's a will, there's a way.

I am contemplating pursuing my MBA during this pregnancy. I have until October to do so, but extremely worried I won't continue with it after the baby comes. I'll have a 4 year old, 2 year old, and newborn on my hands!

Good luck to you. =)

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

#4 of 15 Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 PM

I just defended my PhD, so this one will come afterwards, but I had DS while I was still trying to finish. It was hard - a definite juggling act! I was, fortunately, done with my classes and passed my quals. I was just doing my research and writing up my dissertation when he was born. I was really nervous about telling my advisors, but they were, shockingly, very support, which made all the difference for me. As a grad, I technically was not entitled to paid maternity leave, but my advisors were great - they gave me a paid maternity leave as long as I promised to at least keep up with the latest journal articles in my research during my maternity leave (which ended up being 12 weeks). Having a kiddo definitely slowed me down (I came back only part-time after DS was born because we couldn't afford full-time daycare), and I ended up defending a few months behind schedule. It's definitely doable, but can be tricky to juggle everything. I hope you have a good support network - it makes all the difference!
#5 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 12:49 PM

I'm a part-time grad student. My program is part online and part on-campus and I've been taking online classes since DS2 was born last year, but I'll be finished with those after this semester. I'm thinking about post-poning taking the classes on-campus until the baby is a year old and hopefully using the interim time to knock my thesis out of the way. These classes have clinicals attached to them and It's going to be hard to bf and do all that too...

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#6 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

mfuglei: I am supposed to be full-time in the fall because it is my last semester of classes. In the spring of 2010 I have a 40 hour/week semester long internship i have to do. I feel bad because with DS I was able to spend two years at home with him. I am going to have to say something to my program director ASAP and I am nervous because none of the main profs in this dept have children themselves. Not sure how sympathetic they are going to be.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

#7 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM

Hi! I am new here so I am excited to start posting more!

I am taking 19 credit hours - full time - and working this semester. This was a very unexpected pregnancy (but extremely exciting) so I was planning on graduating after the end of this summer. I am definitely also worried about the semester load and having this be my first pregnancy, I have NO idea what to expect! So I am right there with you!
#8 of 15 Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
mfuglei: I am supposed to be full-time in the fall because it is my last semester of classes. In the spring of 2010 I have a 40 hour/week semester long internship i have to do. I feel bad because with DS I was able to spend two years at home with him. I am going to have to say something to my program director ASAP and I am nervous because none of the main profs in this dept have children themselves. Not sure how sympathetic they are going to be.
I wish I had some answers for you - I think a lot depends on your area of studies or, well, gosh, I wish I had some advice.

It can be very difficult. When I left grad studies after having my daughter (I opted out of some very good PhD programs), many of my mentors were very distressed at my decision -- but several, those with children, were very supportive.

I hope your discussion goes well.

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#9 of 15 Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 PM

I too am a full-time student. I plan to attend 3/4 time next semester. Not sure how I'm going to do it, but I have a few friends who have done the same thing, so I know it's doable.

#10 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Anyone else having trouble concentrating and doing their work right now??? ARGH. I am so distracted/don't feel like it.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#11 of 15 Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
Anyone else having trouble concentrating and doing their work right now??? ARGH. I am so distracted/don't feel like it.
I'm daydreaming like never before............

#12 of 15 Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 PM

man i wish i was in grad school! i will be graduating with my associate's this may--the rest of my school will be online, so thank the gods i won't have to juggle an IRL class schedule after that.

i work at the college too tho, so mon-thursday i am pretty much out ALL DAY. if i forget to bring my laptop it's a disaster

up until recently i was homeschooling my kids and going to college, which was almost as difficult. dh lost his job, so i had to start working again, so they had to start public school...

i am *really* looking forward to being done with school!!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#13 of 15 Old 02-27-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm a grad student, finishing up my masters thesis in biology. I'm in the writing stage, so I really REALLY plan to defend and be done before this babe is born. My DD was born a year and a half into my program, and slowed my progress considerably (DP is a PhD student in the same dept, and we trade off on kid duty).

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#14 of 15 Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Hey Kritto--you bellydance too??

i can't say i do it at the moment, but i have performed with my troupe in austin before

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#15 of 15 Old 03-01-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal323 View Post
Hey Kritto--you bellydance too??

i can't say i do it at the moment, but i have performed with my troupe in austin before
Yep, sure do! In fact, I have a performance coming up in a week (still working out the kinks in my solo! Aaah!!!).

What style do you do?

(sorry for the off-topic posting, everyone!)

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page