Favorite Pregnancy Book - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have lots of great "birthing" books, but I want a thorough, reliable, pregnancy resource that really covers everything - fetal development, nutrition, exercise, etc. And beautiful color pictures are a plus.

Does this book exist?

What's your favorite Pregnancy Book??

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM

I love "The Pregnancy Book" by Dr Sears and "Gentle Birth Choices" by Barbara Harper. No color pics, although GBC comes with a DVD! I would add Lennart Nilsson's "A Child is Born" as a companion piece. Best pictures ever.

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

I actually don't own "The Pregnancy Book", although I had thought about buying it. Seemed like the only one I saw on Amazon was published in like 1997 or something and I was wondering if it's not outdated a bit?

Unfortunately my library doesn't have a great selection... pretty much the typical "What to Expect When You're Expecting" types.

I love "A Child Is Born"!!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 AM

I also like The Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM

nak

the one i turn to for fetal development etc. is highly medicalized but open-minded. I think its "your pregnancy week by week." mine is totally ragged after four kids... this time i am getting more books on birthing.

our library is part of a huge system so i can order from thousands of books. i just go online and order what i want and its at my library in a day or so. i take full advantage of this on a regular basis.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM

My favorite for helping with all sorts of good ideas about every aspect of pregnancy is "The WHole Pregnancy Handbook" by Joel M Evans, MD OB/GYN. It is the most holistic and straightforward book I have ever read.

doula mama to my turtle love, with a who came when he wanted 9/12/09, 33w 5d, NICU strongman!.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 PM

This isn't going to be what you are looking for... but my favorite book is The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy by Viki Iovine. The author is hilarious!!!! The book will have you laughing out loud!

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM

I like the Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger. One of my favorite books of all time (though very outdated) is Spiritual Midwifery. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (in my opinion) is a must read for every pregnant woman. I have about 65 midwifery related books for my studies, but haven't read them from a pregnant point of view in a long time. I'll have to think about it some more!

The Girlfriend's Guide To Pg p!ssed me off... There was some good humor in it, but way too "mainstream" for me..
Old 02-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiddlinmama View Post
I like the Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger. One of my favorite books of all time (though very outdated) is Spiritual Midwifery. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth (in my opinion) is a must read for every pregnant woman. I have about 65 midwifery related books for my studies, but haven't read them from a pregnant point of view in a long time. I'll have to think about it some more!

The Girlfriend's Guide To Pg p!ssed me off... There was some good humor in it, but way too "mainstream" for me..
I think I know/remember you, from the Catholic threads? I met you briefly through Jesse during a visit to her when she was living up there. Sorry to be off topic.

Julie

Julie ~ homesteading, Traditional Catholic, wife to Chip, mom to Angelbaby(4-06), DS (3-07), and DD (11-09).

User Tag List