New Baby Carriers for these Oct Babies? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh promised me I could buy another baby carrier when I got pregnant... so I have been looking around. I didn't wear dd tons b/c she was my one and only and I just held her all day. But with 2 I am thinking I will need my hands free a bit more to care for my toddler. I have a Baby Bjorn and a Mei tai Hip carrier. I was going to get a Zolo ring sling but after doing some research I think something that uses both shoulder support would be better. I am long and lean and not very strong especially in my upper back and arms.
I would like to try and nurse in it...
I also thought about the Beco and the Ergo...
Now I am thinking I might get a Baby K'tan. ANyone have one? Like it? Hate it? Anyone buying anything else for these Oct bambinos?
Any suggestions for other carriers I should check out?? I am not really a fan of wraps b/c of all that extra fabric.

All natural Mama to Keira 6/1/07, Israel 10/10/ 09, Nairi 04/01/2011, and #4 March 2013

#2 of 21 Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM

I would love to have a Beco but will initially use the Moby (which is perfect for a newborn) and Maya and Hotsling that I already have. I probably have others but my daughter has been independent for what seems like a long time and I can't remember.

Boys: 12/94, 1/99, 11/03, 6/11. Girls: 11/06, 10/09, 12/12 2ndtri.gif

#3 of 21 Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please keep the DDC Guidelines in mind when posting. It's OK to start a "poll the DDC"-type thread, but if you have specific questions about carriers, that conversation belongs in Babywearing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 21 Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM

LOOOOOVE my Moby for newborn!! I practically sleep with that think on for the first 3 months!!

I also have a homemade Hotsling-like pouch and a mei tai. And a gauze wrap.

I'm planning on making a new pouch for this little one, and would love to get my hands on a Beco or Ergo!

slinggirl.gif  Melissa: wife todh_malesling.GIF, mama to 5 dear children grouphug.gif and remembering Matthias angel2.gif (8.9.05 - 8.10.05)

#5 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM

I, too, am checking out different carriers this time. There are so many that I didn't even know about with DS! For one, I'm trading in my Ergo for a Beco Butterfly. I also scored a Didy wrap while we were TTC. I never had a pouch with DS, but might try one this time. Also, the ring sling I had last time wasn't very soft on DS's skin, so thinking of trading it in for something softer.

I do have a Moby from last time that I really like for the early days. It's boring cream (which is what I wanted for the steamy summer last time). This time, I'm totally tie-dyeing it!
#6 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 10:20 AM

I have worn all my kids in various carriers at various stages of life. Including both my older kids at the same time!!!

My FAVE's are the gypsy mama gauze wrap for newborn through whenever, and the baby hawk as soon as they are a little less floppy. With my 3rd, I used the GM practically all day every day for the first 4 months. Then tried a couple mei tais before finding the baby hawk. Oh, My Gawd. The fit, the padding on the shoulders, it's just perfect.

I have a Moby too, that I did like a lot until baby starts getting heavier, then the stretch fabric doesn't support the weight enough for my back. Rigid fabrics fit/feel/work better for me.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#7 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM

I meant to also say, that my sister just had her first little one at Christmas and has all my slings, Baby hawk, Gypsy Mama, Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch (anyone remember these? Are they still around? It's my favorite pouch) and Moby. I am going to have to steal them back, and she is going to need her own Mei Tai this fall! Because that's what she already uses a lot and he o=is 2 months.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#8 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
I meant to also say, that my sister just had her first little one at Christmas and has all my slings, Baby hawk, Gypsy Mama, Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch (anyone remember these? Are they still around? It's my favorite pouch) and Moby. I am going to have to steal them back, and she is going to need her own Mei Tai this fall! Because that's what she already uses a lot and he o=is 2 months.
That sounds like my collection! I loved the kangaroo pouch in the beginning too, especially with a fall baby (DS#2 is September). I have a baby hawk also and I have 4 Gypsy Mamas, yes you read that right. I love them and happen to be friends and live local to GypsyMama so I can't help myself. I'm totally a wrap girl now, especially if it's going to be for any length of time. Ring slings are great for quick trips in and out of the store or such but for wearing around the house or on a walk I always grab a wrap. There are so many out there now!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#9 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 11:15 AM

You can go here for make-your-own sling info. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

I prefer a didymous wrap, which I made myself with no sewing. Here's a pic
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../natsling2.jpg

And later, a ring sling (that's daddy!)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...etstuff022.jpg

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#10 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 11:17 AM

I'm sorely tempted to get another. I have a hotslings, new native pouch, and a few homemade wraps that look like the gypsy gauze and a mei tei.

I'm just not sure what I *want*!!!

Monica, mom to Lilly (7) and Carter (4) and rainbow baby Elsa (11/27/10).
#11 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM

I have an Ergo and a Sprout Pouch sling, both are great for different stages. When I had DD I didn't realize the variety of carriers out there. I just had a run of the mill front pack(which worked well). I wore DD from day one. I got the sling when she was about 4-5 months old and carried her in that for a long time. We went to Mexico when she was 15 months and we had a regular backpack, but wanted a soft one for the airport, so I researched and got an Ergo. The Ergo is great, but I wish for myself and DH they made them in sizes for the parents, I am a large busted size 12 and the the straps are almost fully out with me and DH(he's a big, strong guy). I have to say when my DD was teething for 3 months with her eye teeth the thing sure came in handy. I think they are great, except the sizing issues.

I'm looking at some kind of ring sling this time. I don't really get wraps, I think I'd be too confused:.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#12 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobs4milk View Post
You can go here for make-your-own sling info. http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

I prefer a didymous wrap, which I made myself with no sewing. Here's a pic
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2.../natsling2.jpg

And later, a ring sling (that's daddy!)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...etstuff022.jpg
Also, Jan's slings (Sleepingbaby.net) that she makes herself are AMAZING, easily the BEST shoulder in any sling I've ever used and they are super cheap. She really doesn't charge enough for them, but I'm glad they're so affordable.

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#13 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 01:29 PM

When our DD was an infant we *lived* in the wraps (we made them). This time around we have a nice Storchenwiege woven wrap that I can't wait to wear for months on end. I also love our BabyHawk when the little one gets less floppy. I think we're set for carriers with those two.

Oh, and for the mamas concerned about how complicated the wraps are, they're not really that hard. There are lots of videos online that show you how to tie it. Practice for an afternoon at home, and you'll be a pro. It's very easy, and very adaptable to different baby wearing scenarios. Give it a shot!

Kristal: Now an at-home mama to my Doodle and my Roo and partner to my love .
15/52 craft projects completed in 2010.
#14 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 01:34 PM

I have an Ultimate Baby Wrap and I absolutely love it. I am still carrying DS#1 at 16 months old in it. He loves it and I love it. Even daddy loves it. This time I really want a native carrier for the beginning but I will likely switch to the ultimate baby wrap down the road.
#15 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM

great discussion
am definitely getting something new for this one
i have a ring sling and mei tai
but i didn't use the sling until my son was almost 3 months (he was held all the time once we got him out of the nicu, and i was a bit intimidated to use it since he was little to start with

so am reading with great interest!!!!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#16 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 PM

I have a New Native from last time that still works for my three-year-old! I feel like I ought to want something else for this new baby... but I don't know what.
#17 of 21 Old 02-27-2009, 12:38 PM

i think my dh would flip if i said i wanted another baby carrier i have 5--a gypsy mama batik (loaned out ATM), a rockin' babyhawk with skulls on it (also loaned out!), a taylormade tiedye ring sling (must be stuffed in the hall closet.....), a mayawrap pouch (no idea where it is!), and a watermesh WAHM-made pouch sling (that is probably too small for me now )

now i just have to track all these down, and i will be set!

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#18 of 21 Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM

For those who think tying a wrap is too hard:

There is a baby wearing forum on MDC, and if you google 'How to tie a baby sling,' you'll get videos and tutorials of all kinds.

This is how I learned:
http://www.nandu.hu/english/practical/babycarrier.htm

And believe me, I am SO not coordinated and I never once felt like natalie would fall out of the wrap. I did get some weird looks for using it as it seems that slinging was just coming into fashion here in the bible-belt south. You know, all that spoiling of infants by holding them stuff just was so taboo

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#19 of 21 Old 02-28-2009, 07:31 PM

I prefer wraps for a newborn, but my twins didn't like them so we used pouches. SSC and Meitais really are for older babies with good head control. They are great but they need to wait a couple of months usually. SBP are awesome slings, I have wierd shoulders though and I never found them as comfy as my Mayawraps. It all depends on what you like and what your baby likes.

:My newborn stash:

size 6 Didy, Iris
Bali Baby stretch Pheonix (retired colorway) and Mauri
Maya wrap unpadded RS (green print)
Maya wrap adjustable pouch (black)
I'd like to make a fleece pouch too

I also have a size 4 didy Moritz, a dream carrier wrap conversion half buckle (hoppediz casablanca... awaiting a dye job ), two toddler hawks, a freehand baby carrier Meitai (greenman print, fully embroidered), and a bali baby breeze scrap (freya).

OK yeah I'm a little obsessed.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#20 of 21 Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Hi everyone!
I currently have a hotsling, 1 ellaroo ring sling, 2 mei tais (an ella roo and a kozy karrier), and an Ergo. I didn't have good luck with the hotsling...he was happy in there but I had a hard time getting him in and out and he seemed almost dangerously folded and squished. I had a hard time using the ring sling at all...he never felt secure in there for some reason and he would cry. I ended up using a baby bjorn (yuck) until I discovered the mei tais. I thought that the mei tais were great but not until he was an older baby, not just because of the neck control but because of how far apart it forced his legs to go. I know that holding them straight like the bjorn is bad, but for a young baby the "crotch" on the me tais is really wide. I really love my ergo, but I see everyone talking up the baby hawks- are they better than ergo? (guess I should post that question in the babywearing forum too...)

Anyway, I really want to do a wrap this time around for the infant stage.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan
#21 of 21 Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 PM

I have a New Native, two Hotslings, and a Kozy : I want a Moby for those early fall days though.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page