High HCG but low progesterone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-26-2009, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone! I had my progesterone and hcg checked yesterday at 5w4d and my levels were 29,000 something and my progesterone was only 14. They are going to start me on progesterone today, but I am so worried. I have had had 3 miscarriages and I'm wondering if low progesterone means that the preganancy is not viable, what do you think? I go for an u/s on March 3rd. Anyone had low progesterone and carried a baby to term?
#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2009, 02:32 PM

Technically 14 is in the range of normal still. I had mine checked at about 3.5 weeks and it was 13.1 which is still normal but on the low end of normal. Since I had 2 previous miscarraiges I started on progesterone suppositories twice a day.

It is kinda a pain but I only have to do it until 12week, and if it helps prevent miscarriage then it is totally worth it to me!

Oh and even with my low progesterone I saw a perectly normal beating heart at my 7w ultrasound. So no I don't believe that it means that the pregnancy would not be viable by any means.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#3 of 8 Old 02-26-2009, 03:26 PM

I had to take supplemental progesterone with DS and with this baby also. As I understand it, the pregnancy is perfectly viable, it's the progesterone that is needed to KEEP the pregnancy...you need it to sustain the pregnancy while the placenta is growing, if I understand correctly.

I am so very grateful that I had a doctor that told me years ago while we were struggling with infertility that if I ever got pregnant I needed to insist my progesterone levels be checked (I have a chronic condition that causes low levels). I did that with DS and had to fight to get them to run the test...lo and behold they were low. This time I had no fight, they just automatically brought me in to check them.

My doctor has me supplement until week 15 to be on the safe side. It's a pain and it's messy, but it's super worth it to me to help avoid m/c.
#4 of 8 Old 02-26-2009, 04:04 PM

NO! Low progesterone does not always mean an unviable pregnancy! I have two living babies to prove it! And this one is doing great. My levels always hover between 14 and 20 WHILE ON 300mg of progesterone. It just means you need a little help. You'll be fine!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#5 of 8 Old 02-27-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies! I started the progesterone last night and I woke up this morning with nausea and I vomited once and diarrhea too. YUCK! They have me taking 100 mg of the gel vaginally.
#6 of 8 Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM

Best wishes mama!

I'm on progesterone too. Injections 2x a week. I've had three miscarriages and I suspected it was my progesterone. So, when I got pg this time I tried and tried to get my local OB practice to check my levels. The gave me the run around for 2 weeks. Even sending me for blood draws, but only checking my HcG Betas. Finally, they came out and said that they only do progesterone supplements for confirmed luteal phase defects. Since I don't have a confirmed defect, they wouldn't help me. They wouldn't even check my levels. GRRRR. They were completely insensitive about my previous losses and made me waste 2 weeks thinking they were actually going to help me. SO aggravating! I finally found a Dr. willing to check my levels. I was at 9 at 8 weeks!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to extend my commiseration and sympanthies to you! Praying for sticky babies for all of us!
#7 of 8 Old 02-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmom1729 View Post
Thanks Ladies! I started the progesterone last night and I woke up this morning with nausea and I vomited once and diarrhea too. YUCK! They have me taking 100 mg of the gel vaginally.

Yes. That happens to me for the first week or so while my body adjusts to it. Hang in there...it does go away!
#8 of 8 Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Mine was also 14 and I didn't supplement, my doc thought was totally un-necessary. So far everything is okay and I had a U/S at 8 weeks that showed a healthy baby with a strong heartbeat. I just keep praying that things will continue well.
I have read of mamas on here with much lower progesterone than 14 that carried to term. Probably a large percentage of women carry to term within this level, since it is considered normal and most women do not have their progesterone checked.

Abby, Mom to Matthew (9/14/06) and new baby Annabelle (10/04/09), Wife to Dan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page