Talk to me about brown spotting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started spotting brown today. I think I might be little more sensitive because of my history of miscarriages. I called the nurse who said I shouldn' worry about brown bleeding and at 5.5 weeks there isn't anything they could do to make sure all was ok. Just wondering if others have spotted brown before and had everything turn out ok? I'm really worried.

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Brown blood this early indicates a little left over implantation spotting that is just now coming out. I had really light pink spotting around 4.5 weeks and then again at 6.5 weeks and both lasted three days. The midwife said that both was likely implantation spotting so try not to worry. I know how scary it can be.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 02-26-2009, 08:58 PM

I had brown spotting with DS. It was scary , but it was ok for me.

Wife to the man I never expected, DS born at home '07, '08, baby girl born at home Oct '09!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey there ladies. Sorry to crash your ddc, but I just wanted to let you know that I had brown spotting for a couple weeks at the beginning, and it scared the buhjeezus out of me. The advice nurse said it was nothing to worry about, but with a "history", I decided to go in to the ER. Turns out it was nothing, VERY common in the first couple months. Now I am 24 weeks! Unless it turns to red, or you actually need something more than a pantyliner to keep up with it, you should be ok. BUT, I know hearing it doesn't always calm the nerves completely, so if you are still worried, just set up a prenatal appt, and go see your baby's heartbeat on a screen! That curbs the anxiety like nothing else!! Take care ladies, and CONGRATS!!!:

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 PM

Ditto to what the other ladies said!

JenaMom to ds & dd Proud to
Old 02-26-2009, 10:40 PM

i had that for months with DD3 and DS. Needless to say they are here and fine. I had nine losses prior to concieving DD3 so I was totally FREAKED OUT, but it really was nothing.

However (there's always a however) in 2006 I had brown spotting at 7 weeks and it ultimately turned out to be a complete molar pregnancy. So, have it checked out. It's more than likely nothing at all, but the peace of mind is priceless.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 PM

I had brown spotting a couple of days the first few weeks after I found out. Freaked me out after 3 miscarriages, but all is well! I also spotted red with dd2 at 13 weeks and it was nothing.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 AM

i spotted with ds and he is here, three years old and sleeping soundly in his bed.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Woke up this morning and found more brown spotting. The nurse I was on the phone with on Thursday said that the uterus is very vascular. What is that supposed to mean? What is stressing me out more than anything is that with both of my mc's I was spotting brown before it turned into red. Has anyone else had that experience???

Tricia, married to DH. 2MC's & 4 yrs ttc...finally mom to Andrew6/06 and Benjamin 10/09. Adopted bro & sis 2002. My 2 fav. words: Spay and Neuter! I'm an Ultimate Viewer, 2010!

Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM

During implantation and very early pregnancy when the embryo is attaching and the placenta is forming blood pools are formed between your uterus and the attachment of the placenta. Blood flows between your uterus and the baby's placenta nourishing and giving oxygen rich blood to the baby. Sometimes a little of this blood escapes and comes out of the vagina. The fact that it is brown means that it is older blood. Everyone's uterus is vascular so it doesn't mean anything is wrong. If it increases by a lot, turns bright red, has clots and you have cramps you may want to call back. If it is just a small amount of brown spotting without any other symptoms it should be fine. I know it is scary and makes it hard to relax and enjoy this. I hope it stops for your peace of mind. Here is a for you but I really think this is okay.

I had pink spotting twice diring this pregnancy. Once at 18 DPO for three days and then again around 6.5 weeks for three days. From the midwife told me pink spotting is more worrisome than brown spotting. Now I'm nine weeks with m/s so you can have spotting similar to a m/c (both my m/c started with pink spotting) and my pregnancy is still going. I wish didn't have to worry so much, but I completely empathize because I have been there before.

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much firewoman. I so hope you are right. It just makes me nervous because the only pg I had where I didn't have spotting is the one that gave me my son. It's hard to not have my mind stress out when I see the brown....

Old 03-01-2009, 03:23 PM

I too spotted early, at about 6 weeks. We checked betas which weren't doubling, and then did an U/S and we saw a little baby with a strong HB at 6w4d. I spotted pink and then brown. I also spotted with my Son who is now 3 and when I miscarried with my twins. It can be very normal, but then again as you know it might not be. The good news is most cases of spotting are nothing to worry about.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM

I've been having brown spotting. I had dark show when AF was supposed to be here, but just a small amount and then mostly brown. I had one tiny bit of pink once, but the next time I wiped it was brown. I have a hemorhagic (SP?) corpus luteum and I did show blood pooled by the ovary during the u/s last week. We are going for an u/s Tuesday to (HOPEFULLY) she a baby with a heartbeat. We only saw gestational sac and yolk sac last week when I thought I was about 5 wks and 5 days.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you. My ONLY pg w/o early complications/spotting was my loss and so I am hoping this is normal for me.

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM

I have had some type of spotting with all of my pregnancies. I had bright red spotting with my dd, and she is now almost 6.

I had brown spotting for five days at six weeks with my first m/c and then it turned to bright red and cramps. I had pink spotting then bright red at 4 weeks with 2nd m/c. The third miscarriage I had no spotting - it just started out with bright red blood at 11 weeks.

This pregnancy I had brown spotting for two days at 5 1/2 weeks, and I was worried because of my history - but now I am 9 weeks! So I've had it where the brown spotting was the start of a m/c and where it wasn't. I think in *most* cases brown spotting turns out fine - I don't have a statistic for you, but I do know most of the stories I've heard just brown spotting ends up being OK.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:51 PM

another mama here who has had brown spotting: with DS at 10 wks. And now she is a beautiful 2 yo.

i also was looking for answers and trying to figure out what it meant at the time. I actually happened upon this board in the process. it really helped to hear from others who had been through it, to know that it wasn't necessarily a bad sign and things could still turn out just fine. i certainly hope they do for you!

User Tag List