Silly LMP/date question - Mothering Forums
October 2009 > Silly LMP/date question
MeredithK's Avatar MeredithK 06:00 PM 02-28-2009
Ok, I have a silly question for you. When I went for my "pre-ob" visit to the midwife's office, she said something that confused me. So, I thought I'd ask you guys what I am missing.

MY LMP was Monday, January 5th. The appointment at the MW office was Thursday, February 12th. While she was writing everything down, she said..."Oh, you are exactly 5 weeks today". I didn't say anything at the time, but I don't get it. Wouldn't it have been 5 weeks on that Monday? Why the extra days?

It doesn't really matter all that much, it's just annoying me. I can't figure it out and I'm sure it's something simple. Can you guys help?! I feel dumb.

zjande's Avatar zjande 06:39 PM 02-28-2009
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense!

Do you know your ovulation date? Do you have 28 day cycles? I have a bit longer cycles, around 32 days or so, and I conceived on cycle day 17. That was a Sunday so every Sunday I count myself one more week along.

If you have a 28 day cycle & weren't charting, it can be assumed that you conceived exactly 2 weeks after your LMP, which would've been Monday the 19th. Every Monday you should consider yourself one more week along. I can't even imagine a reason the MW would have said that unless you knew that you ovulated/conceived on a Thursday! Seriously, maybe she was just looking at her calendar upside down & backwards.
mysticmomma's Avatar mysticmomma 06:49 PM 02-28-2009
She was probably just looking at numbers.
Jan5-Feb5---->4 weeks (1 month)
Feb5-Feb12--->7 days (1 week)

total of 5 weeks. I'm sure she didn't get it from your chart or her wheel, but was just making small talk.
firewoman's Avatar firewoman 08:41 PM 02-28-2009
Different offices calculate due dates differently. My OB calculated some weird way where he added 7 days to my LMP and then added 266 days or something like that. Ask how they calculate due dates and it will likely make sense.
Up