Laptops and pregnancy? Kinda a weird question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my DH and I have a tendency to sit on the couch together with our laptops (we each have one) on our laps in the evenings and do a little surfing and catching up on email/daily happens of the day. We both have laptop bean - bag tray type things that they sit on so it is not directly on our laps. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this could be a bad thing for the growing LO inside (or in my case 2 little ones - ???? I may just be paranoid about the computers, in this case I'm hoping so!!!

After 5 failed IUI's & 6 failed IVF's we threw in the towel w/ ART and then got a NATURAL miracle BFP! Hoping and praying it is finally our take home baby!  Mother to our twins boys in heaven -lost at 22.5wks on 6/20/09 and 1 other little angel in heaven.

Our Miracle has arrived... Caden James...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 PM

I'm constantly on a laptop myself and everything I've read up on it says that they're harmless.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Popping in from Nov DDC. I've actually worried about the same thing. What bugs me is not the computer itself, but the wifi signal. It's pretty powerful, I'd imagine it doesn't just go to the wireless card...kwim?

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 AM

Not in your DDC, but I would be concerned about the wifi signal. However, if you have wireless in your house, the signals are there, regardless of wether you are using the laptop or not. Also, computers generally are filled with a lot of radioactive materials. Apparently, the levels are pretty low... but it's still iffy. FWIW, I feel concerned, but still regularly fall asleep with the laptop in bed beside me

Kaya (29) + Laume (31) = ds Kanoa (8) and dd Zia (2)

Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Geez, I hate thinking about things like this, AKA facing the truth.

In my humble opinion, pretty much *everything* modern, everything that is "hi tech" & takes us away from hard work farming organically under the glorious sun every day (as most humans did to some extent or another through out history), is bad for us. It's just up to each of us to decide how much of a toxic load we're willing to carry. And it really sucks IMO.

Computers do release electromagnetic rays. Some people do claim that they are ruining the humans that sit in front of them. Along with those folks that use microwave ovens, sleep with an electric alarm clock next to their beds, use cell phones, or, I even read a site talking about how unhealthy those little light up toddler shoes are! You can Google "electromagnetic rays from computer are harmful" as a start if you're willing to. This short article has a little info.

I personally don't use microwave ovens or cell phones because I want to protect myself from cancers the best I can.... but I still live within a mile of major power lines, and sit in front of this computer.... and dye my hair. We all have to decide how much we're willing to do to find a comfortable balance I guess.

It's all just really sucky if you ask me. I think we really are surrounded by toxins.

ETA: I'm so computer clueless that I didn't even know if we have wifi in our house or not. Just now when I was telling DH about some of the scary things I was just reading about, related to having wifi in your house, he said "I know, that's why I ran that cord all over the house & plugged all the computers in right after we moved in". lol That was 2.5 yrs ago. Shows how much I pay attention. But I'm glad my husband's on top of these things. He also has been trying to convince me to get a regular old cord telephone in our house instead of cordless phones for the same reason. But so far I haven't been willing to give in.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayabrink View Post
Not in your DDC, but I would be concerned about the wifi signal. However, if you have wireless in your house, the signals are there, regardless of wether you are using the laptop or not. Also, computers generally are filled with a lot of radioactive materials. Apparently, the levels are pretty low... but it's still iffy. FWIW, I feel concerned, but still regularly fall asleep with the laptop in bed beside me
what?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:07 PM
pjs

I'd be more concerned about the heat of the laptop. Since you're using a beanbag, it probably absorbs most of the heat. But knowing how hot the bottom of my laptop gets without the chill mat, I try and avoid using it on my lap.

User Tag List