Moms who aren't finding out.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think using the Intelligender is cheating? I've wanted to try this for fun, but I'm waiting until birth to find out the sex. Do you think it will ruin the surprise?

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 11:40 PM

Is that the thing where you test your pee? Or am I totally off base?!

I truly don't want to know, so I personally won't do anything.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 03-20-2009, 01:21 AM

I don't want to find out, but DH says it's the only thing that makes it real for him. He whined enough that I caved last time, but I reeeeeeeeeeeaaaallly don't want to this time!

I've been considering the intelligender as a compromise.

How good is it, anyway? When can you use it?
Old 03-20-2009, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I don't want to find out, but DH says it's the only thing that makes it real for him. He whined enough that I caved last time, but I reeeeeeeeeeeaaaallly don't want to this time!

I've been considering the intelligender as a compromise.

How good is it, anyway? When can you use it?
Thats what happened to me last time.

You can use the Intelligender at 10 weeks. I think it is right around 80% of the time.

Stephanie, Mama to five beautiful kids, wife to J

Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 AM

I immideately googled this since I am dying to know what I am having and May seems too long to find out. But I'm totally bummed (this was on the FAQ page) ...

What if I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom) or am on Progesterone treatment?
We recommend that you do not test while on Progesterone (wait 10 days from last dose) or at all if you have PCOS as you will likely get a “boy”result and we cannot represent the accuracy of this result.

MAN! I guess I'm waiting.

Wife to Jayson. Mommy to Lucas 10/06/09
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 PM

My husband and I just talked about this and we decided that we want to be surprised. This is our first baby, though, and I'm wondering if the relatives are going to be bugging us a lot about this. We haven't really told many people that I'm pregnant..only my brother and his fiancee, mainly because they live with us, and were bound to think something was up, considering all my random dry-heaving.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I've never heard of the intelligender, but we won't be finding out about the gender until our baby is earthside. We didn't find out with our last 2 either. That moment that the gender is announced is really almost the most amazing moment of my life. I will never ever ever forget the details of each time my loooong awaited baby's gender was announced to me (or by me).

I can't wait to find out!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:03 PM

i don't think the intelligender is cheating. if you want to find out, there are ways to find out. i just wonder how accurate the readings are. even ultrasounds aren't always 100%.

i don't want to find out early. i relish the mystery and anticipation of a good surprise. (i have so few of those in my life.)

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 PM

I don't want to know in anyway, I just want to see if my intuition turns out right or not.

the problem with u/s and anything else that tries to tell you gender is that it can be wrong. someone was told their baby would be a girl so they did the whole pink schpeal for the nursery, etc. and then later they were told it would be a boy, so they changed everything up. and when the baby was born, it was a girl!
they wasted so much time and money, and think of all the confusion.

I just rather know when there's solid evidence, and just that surprise moment after all that pushing should be golden.

28 - DD 11/3/09 (planned homebirth)
:
Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM

Intelligender is pretty much a waste of money. My cousin did it and they told her it was a girl. Low and behold, they had Caleb . If you want to find out, find out. If not don't. I'm not finding out this time and it's really excited. It's a totally different mindset once you know IMO.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 AM

I've never heard of Intelligender.
We like the surprise of not knowing the babe's gender until it's born. We won't find out. We didn't with our first and during that pregnancy I kept thinking about how being in the womb is really such an amazing time of a human being's life... for many reasons, of course, but one of the most wonderful reasons is the unique period of anonymity and mystery. During the brief and beautiful time that this little person spends growing in the womb it is free from classification and definition related to gender. The rest of its life, it will be known, judged, evaluated, measured in great degree because of gender. I love the idea of the sacred, secret, mysterious space of the womb... protecting our little ones, even for a short time, from so much that is to come.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:53 AM

gonna go google "intelligender".... i'd never heard of it

i love to check all the old wives' tale-type gender predictions. they are always weird and random, like, if you prefer the heel of a loaf of bread while pregnant, it's a boy. complete madness but still fun.

or using a pendulum--that's fun too but yeah. we're content to be surprised here. or i am anyway--my husband is so uncannily accurate with his precognitive dreams, he feels like nothing is a surprise for him in life

....hmm. there's also some Chinese zodiac chart prediction that is eerily accurate...i should google that again too :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobee View Post
We like the surprise of not knowing the babe's gender until it's born. We won't find out. We didn't with our first and during that pregnancy I kept thinking about how being in the womb is really such an amazing time of a human being's life... for many reasons, of course, but one of the most wonderful reasons is the unique period of anonymity and mystery. During the brief and beautiful time that this little person spends growing in the womb it is free from classification and definition related to gender. The rest of its life, it will be known, judged, evaluated, measured in great degree because of gender. I love the idea of the sacred, secret, mysterious space of the womb... protecting our little ones, even for a short time, from so much that is to come.
What a great point. My DH and I are planning not to find out, but this is all the more reason for me not to want to know. Thanks!

Brin, wife to my best friend , mother of three . and now homeschooling!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobee View Post

I love the way you put that.

We also decided that we are going to try not to see the baby's gender after baby is born. We want to bond for a bit with baby as just our child, not as a son or daughter. We found out with our others to be prepared. We do not need to be prepared this time so I'm really looking forward of doing the gender thing way different.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

Old 03-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't think Intelligender would be cheating but then I also don't really believe it's nearly as accurate as they claim. In which case it's as much cheating as going by astrological signs or the ring test or something.

I applaud all of you who aren't finding out for the strength of your resolve. Also because that means less competition for me for gender-specific baby clothes sales & garage sales this summer.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
Old 03-24-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I applaud all of you who aren't finding out for the strength of your resolve. Also because that means less competition for me for gender-specific baby clothes sales & garage sales this summer.
hahaha!

ETA: i forgot to mention--that Chinese gender-prediction chart goes by the mother's age at conception, and then the month of conception. Well, conception was right around my birthday! So according to this, if i was 27 in January, it would be a girl, but if it was after my birthday had passed, a boy! (gee, that puts the odds at.....ready?? a round 50/50! amazing! just what we had before!

However, I would be more excited about this if it had gotten 3 out of 3 of my older kids' genders right, but nope, only 2/3.

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Hmm, I've never heard of that! I don't really want to find out this time, but I wonder if my husband would settle for that instead of the ultrasound? At least it wouldn't have a chance of affecting the baby, if it's just a urine test. Interesting. (I don't think I'd believe the test anyway, so I'd still probably be surprised, but it's worth looking at...)
Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM

I didn't find out 1st baby's gender (girl), but did find out with 2nd baby (boy). Now that we have one of each, #3 is going to be a surprise. It most likely will be our last treasured DC and we want to keep the suspense going, between us and famiy/friends. Really no need to be practical, since we have everything already. #3 will have to share a room with a sibling, which is kind of a bummer, but hopefully will work out. #3 will sleep with us for the first year, so no hurry there either.

Mama to : Savannah (12/16/2002) & Bruen (3/19/2005). The H = Jason :
Baby #3 Drake (10/21/2009) :

User Tag List