Does pregnancy get harder with age? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may seem like a weird question because obviously it would get somewhat harder but I feel like I have been hit with a mac truck everyday since I got pregnant. I am still young, but much older than when I had DS1 and 2. I had DS1 at 16 and it was easy as pie, DS2 at 20 and still easy as pie, then came DD at 25 and it was not what I remembered at all of pregnancy. I thought it was just awfull. But whoa!!!! This time around I am 26 and it is just killer. I am going to be 12 weeks in just a few days and I am still exhausted beyond beleif, still getting m/s, and my whole body just aches and can't move. I mean I had considered having one more because I have always wanted 5 children but now I am 110% sure I will getting my tubes tied after this because although I could handle another child I could never handle another pregnancy.

So does anyone have any insight to this? Any have kids at a much younger age and then again at an older age? How is it working out for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 12:16 PM

It may not just be the age, but the fact that your body has been pregnant so many times before. This is my 7th pregnancy, but 5th baby. I was pregnant with my first at 19. I'm 31 now. My third pregnancy I was your age and it was the best pregnancy I had yet. After that I had a miscarriage at 9 weeks and then got pregnant with my fourth and had m/s for the first time ever. After her I had another miscarriage at 9 weeks. This pregnancy was the worst m/s I have ever had, but still not as bad as some women get. I'm sure you will feel better soon. I think both age and # of pregnancies can make subsequent pregnancies a little harder. Plus you have three little ones to take care of! You are probably not nearly as rested as you were at 16!

Stephanie-33 lucky mama of 5 precious ones: DD-12, DS-9 , DS-6 , and DD-3 and Bridget Alannah  SHE'S ONE NOW! loving wife to DH-38
Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Ugh, I don't know anything for sure, but I am in horrible shape right now. It's been 5 1/2 years since my last pregnancy and I feel like dirt. Aches, pains, headaches, awful ms, reflux, dizziness, weakness and more. In one month I will be 31 and the way I feel it may as well be 101.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Yes, this is my hardest pregnancy so far. I have a big spread between my kids (my oldest will be 15 when this one is born!), and I was 26 when I was first pregnant. Now I'm 41. It has been 9 years since my last pregnancy. My morning sickness is worse than the others, and I just don't feel as well overall. Very tired and queasy much of the time, especially in the evening.

One thing I attribute (other than age) to my feelings this time is that I am now a teacher of young children. My career before was in high tech marketing. Working with the children is much more work: more energy, more time, more spiritual, more everything...!

~Karenchicken3.gifso happy to be mothering my four... DS ('94), DS ('94), DD ('00), and DS -- June 8, 2011, our UC baby!

Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 PM

A friend of mine who has 10 kids told me that she was so much more tired in her later pregnancies, but she didn't think it was age. She said she really thinks that with the first couple you have so much more down time but once you have several kids you have to keep going so much that you just get worn down. So, I don't think it is age, but just comes with having more people to take care of.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 PM

i've wondered this too--my first was a breeze (18), my 2nd was a bit harder (21), then my 3rd (26) introduced me to a whole slew of pg symptoms that i previously had not experienced before! I'm 28 now, and it's definitely more...obtrusive.... Like, I can't just "forget" about being pg, even tho it is still relatively early, because i have plenty of physical reminders that make it obvious! with my first, i had NO CLUE i was pg until i was like 16 weeks or something. This time around, it's unbelievable that i could not have noticed for that long....yaknow??

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 PM

My first was at 26 and was hard. This one isn't that bad so far and I'm almost 29.

It might have something more to do with number of pregnancies and the work your body goes through each time. Who knows?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM

It was wayyyy easier being pg @ 18 than it is @ 35! My oldest will be 17 when this baby is born and this is, by far, the tiredest I've ever been. I have been sicker (as in more vomit) but I don't remember the all-day nausea being so debilitating. I had my kids at 18, 21, 24, 31 (2 wks shy of 32) and this time I'll be about 2 months shy of 36. It is DEFINITELY tougher the older I get!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 PM

All I can say is take care of yourself. DO NOT be supermom. I didn't take care of myself and now I am pregnant, 41, with prolapse, and aches everywhere. I never rested, thought that was weakness, always lifted to much heavy stuff, I am a farmer, and never gave in to the demands of my preganacy. This time it is different. My last baby was 5 years ago, and I was remodeling our home at 8 months pregnant. That is what caused the prolapse. Please rest alot. Even if it is 5 minutes at a time. Put your feet up. Kegels, standing, sitting and lieing down. If you hurt stretch, if you are hungry, eat, 1 bite or 2, just take the time to do what your body is telling you that you need. GOD mde this wonderful body and it talks to us just like a babies kick and roll talks to us. Listen and do those feww extra things and you won't regret it I promise. I sleep late, rest often, stretch often, and everyone else is doing the lifting and the hard stuff. I is really healing me. My prolapse is lifting and I have less pressure, I lie on my stomach with a pillow under my hips and do kegels 3 times a day and rest for 15 minutes 3 times a day, it is working miracles. My heart is about to burst with the love and support I feel. Ask for help. Little ones to rub feet and ankles, older ones to read stories, Husbands, friends, and family for minutes of their time to help with daily life so you can LIVE. Not just exist and endure your pregnancy, but really live and experience. It sure takes the aches away. Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 PM

Well my first pregnancy was at 31 and so I am way older than you are even right now. That was easy as pie and I totally believe it was because I didn't have non-stop go-go 2.5 year old to attend to also. Taking care of a young child just makes everything more difficult. I also have been much more sick this time, so that doesn't help things either. With DD I had time to rest if meed be, this time it's just no rest. I honestly just think a lot of it has to do with what is going on more with that particular pregnancy.

I am 11.5 weeks and am just starting to feel pretty much normal and am getting glowy.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 03-21-2009, 03:35 PM

I feel pretty much the same as I did with #3 and #4. A bit more nausea.

I felt great with #1 and #2 though. I was 20 with #1 and 26 with #2. I think I felt so good because I didn't have a ton of responsibility. I didn't have a lot of kids and all the house work I have now. I was living with my parents with #1 and with #2 I found out I was pregnant when #1 started Kindergarten and birth #2 while #1 was still in Kindergarten.

So I agree with a PP. For me it's not so much the age but everything that has come with age.

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM

It's been almost 12 years since my last pregnancy, and I definitely notice a big difference. I was 24 with my first and it was wonderful all the way through. This time, with my second, I'm going on 36 and ugh. Tired, constant m/s, headaches, twinges. I don't attribute it all to age, though. I'm sure it's partly as other pps have mentioned. My life is busier now ... more to do means I notice more when I feel sickly. And everyone keeps telling me how different each pregnancy is, so maybe I'd have felt this bad even if I were still in my early 20s.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow tcboweevil, it really seems like you are taking very good care of yourself right now. That sounds like such a wonderful idea. You know things just get so hectic and I always feel if I let other people do things for me they wont do them as well or as quickly as I will and I will just have to go behind them and redo it. I don't know why during this critical time we women don't take more time to take care of ourselves. I know it would make us all feel a lot better than we do right now.

Also you know I have a friend that is 27 and she just got pregnant for the first time. She is 12 weeks as well and she named off almost every symptom known to man and then when I asked if she wanted more children later she said she did but that she just felt even though she wasn't very old that her body felt like it was old and that she didn't think she could handle it.

I wonder if there are any healthnuts in this thread that workout or walk or something everyday and if they feel that has made a difference it overall wellbeing during pregnancy. I guess there could be so many other factors than just age and now is kind of a strenuous time to try and change workout, eating, and stress habbits.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
What an interesting thread! This very thing has been on my mind as well.

Boobs4milk
, you & I had our kids at such similar ages. My kids were born when I was 17, 23, 31, 33, and when this one comes I'll also be 3 months shy of 36.

I am SO INCREDIBLY FATIGUED. Remember my post about feeling like there are sleeping pills in the air? That's how I feel almost 24/7- like I just ate a bunch of sleeping pills. I'm not just tired, I'm nod off at red lights in the car tired, barely able to function most days tired, drugged tired. It's been SO hard! And so I've been questioning myself, wondering if this has to do with age?

When I had my 1st at 17 it was simple! I kept a journal & it's hilarious. I had no symptoms. I complained about how difficult it was to bend over. That's about it. LOL! Here I am at 35, on baby #5 & MAN it's so different. But, just like PPs have said, I also have all these kids & household to care for. When I was 16/17 & pregnant, I lived with my parents, I napped whenever I felt like it. Now I have a 15 month old, a 3 yr old, a 10 yr I homeschool everyday, plus my 17 yr old. And I'm breastfeeding. And I bake all our bread products & cook from scratch. That's all drastically different than when I had my first 2 babies. PLUS, this is my 3rd pregnancy in 4 years. That's gotta count for something, too.

I dunno. I guess I don't have any answers, but I sure do commiserate with you!!!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM

I don't think so, or rather I don't think there should be a huge difference until you start getting into your mid thirties. My first was at 24, my twins were at 26 an now i'm 28 (will be 29 when pumpkin is born). I feel much less tired despite getting less sleep but my morning sickness was worse this time. With my second pregnancy (twins) my only symptom for a long time was growing belly! Theirs was by far the easiest pregnancy (although my drs made it the most stressful). So yeah maybe it might get harder, I think it's the pregnancy being different more then it's your age. You're young, lady!

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 PM

I only feel that it is harder because I have 3 other children to care for.
I just turned 26 this month.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Aubrey, girl you deserve a medal! I don't do much ATM because I'm just too tired. I go to bed after doing NOTHING all day and I feel like a truck hit me full on!!! I was bf last time I got pg and we night weaned because I was such a zombie during the day.

I'm thankful (in a sense) that my kids are a bit older and can help out. If I had a young toddler, I don't know how I would cope.

Even though I have more responsibility now than at 18, I'm still voting for the young pg's being the easier, simply because I hadn't been pg 5 times before and I was almost 20 years YOUNGER!

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 AM

Personally, I think pregnancy gets harder with the more you have. (Is that even worded right? o.0) With DD1, I was 19 when I got preggers with her. With DD2, I was 21. I was happy go lucky with both of those pregnancies. I had no m/s, fatigue, etc. I'm just 23 (turning 24 in May!) and with this pregnancy, I feel horrible. I have m/s; not necessarily vomiting, but extreme nausea, achy, and fatigued. Plus, I'm moody. Thus far, this one I have been much more emotionally and physically strained. But I'm hoping as I inch closer to the second trimester it gets better.

Good luck mama. =)

Charlize, married to DH 4/12/04. Mom to DD1 (4/2005) dust.gif, DD2 (3/2007) blowkiss.gif, and DD3 (10/2009) bouncy.gif, and DD4 (6/2011) energy.gif.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 AM

It might be the close spacing of your pregnancies. Your body takes at least 24 months between pregnancies to rebuild its reserves, so if you're having two within a year, that would be really draining. This is my 4th pregnancy, but I've only had one live birth, over 6 years ago, and I'm 43 and though I am tired, my m/s is not as bad as last time and I'm doing fairly ok other than mood swings.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM

My first pg (age 21) was really hard on me emotionally and physically. My 2nd pg was a breeze (age 26). I'm 28 now and this pg is already taking a toll on me. I have less time/opportunity to rest so that makes a big difference. I have a 14 month old toddler and a 6 yr old I have get up and get ready for school every morning, plus I am working and in school part-time, and it's been really hard to keep up with everything. I feel like I'm turning the corner though. I can almost eat like a normal person again, and I haven't felt like taking a nap yet today (woo hoo). I'm used to having m/s until 16 weeks, so getting a break at 10 weeks seems unreal. I think it may be helping the m/s that I am still breastfeeding, but I also think that breastfeeding (including night feedings) is sucking some of my energy.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 03-25-2009, 11:17 PM

So far, this pregnancy hasn't been any harder than the rest. I'm fairly fit so that may be part of it. I am, however, on the older side of things here. I was pg with #1 at 33, then 35, 37 and 39. I'm 42 now. I still have a spring in my step, though!

My recovery from each pregnancy has been fairly easy, too. Here's hoping my luck holds.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:

User Tag List